I did a thing.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
I installed TrueNAS core beta on one of my machines today. It certainly is more refined than it used to be, I think the last time I installed FreeNAS was 10.4 or something like that. I had no issues getting it to install on my Ryzen 7 3700X box. I'm running initial tweaks on the file system and will be running some benchmarks to see how it compares to my Debian Buster w/ ZFS and NFS install.
Screenshot from 2020-08-02 14-09-24.png

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
I recently deployed it as well. I had some issues with NappIT/OmniOS not working like I needed it to, and FreeNAS fit the bill.

Reactions: sboesch

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
I recently deployed it as well. I had some issues with NappIT/OmniOS not working like I needed it to, and FreeNAS fit the bill.
I ran NappIT and OmniOS for years, it was stable and never had any issues with it until I upgraded my hardware to Ryzen 3XXX, then things got wonky.

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
I ran NappIT and OmniOS for years, it was stable and never had any issues with it until I upgraded my hardware to Ryzen 3XXX, then things got wonky.
I did too. Maybe that was part of my problem. I recently upgraded that server to an Epyc. However, OmniOS is still having issues with ConnectX-4 cards, and I was getting abysmal performance out of my new PM1725a's.

Reactions: sboesch

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
Benchmarks would be much appreciated @sboesch.

Out of curiousity though, what sorts of things are you using this TrueNAS Core box for? I'm wavering at the moment on CPU sizing, as while a 3700X seems quite perfect, I'm not sure if I need all those cores for simple 10G storage needs since I run my services on a separate Proxmox box.

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
Benchmarks would be much appreciated @sboesch.

Out of curiousity though, what sorts of things are you using this TrueNAS Core box for? I'm wavering at the moment on CPU sizing, as while a 3700X seems quite perfect, I'm not sure if I need all those cores for simple 10G storage needs since I run my services on a separate Proxmox box.
I have a Proxmox host that does all my virtualization as well as storage. I want to offload some of the smaller virtual machines and the storage role to TrueNAS, as we all know ZFS likes RAM, and I have been forced of late to balance ARC and Virtural Machines on the Proxmox host. TrueNAS will host NFS shares for Proxmox VM's and mount on my desktops, SMB shares, backups, DNS/LDAP roles, and possibly Plex. Both the Proxmox host and TrueNAS host are Ryzen 7 3700X's with 64GB of RAM. Once I figure out why read speeds are so horrible on FreeNAS with the Proxmox virtual machines.......

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
I started down the line of benchmarks and stopped. I could never get write speeds beyond 400MB a second on TrueNAS. I did all the tricks, atime off, set recordsizes, sync disabled ETC and couldn't seem to get TrueNAS to write to the 8x rust RAIDZ2 pool any faster. I stopped putzing with it after 3 hours, I had way too much time sunk into it to troubleshoot it any further. Debian Buster on the same setup running ZOL, write speeds are almost twice as fast. Not too sure if I flubbed something or it's just TrueNAS being beta? I ended up going back to Debian for now. Once TrueNAS is out of beta and I can dedicate more time, I'll give it another try.