ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Here my question:
- can you provide me a guide how and which BIOS (you mentioned a modified one) I should install in order to get the system working
- is the IPMI interface the way to install over the IP the modified BIOS? Where should I put the lan cable from the router to make the IP visible? The board has 2xdelta and one separate LAN plug.
the left LAN where the USB is should be the right one. Standard is DHCP, you should see the IP of the board in your Router.
the function to update the bios is not activated by default, you have to buy a key or make your own here

levihb

Jul 13, 2020
I've been looking into the following CPUs:

Intel Xeon Gold 6138 (ES) QL1L
Intel Xeon Gold 6142 (ES) QL28
Intel Xeon Gold 6130 (ES) QL1M
Intel Xeon Gold 6130 (ES) QKGG
Intel Xeon Platinum 8160 (ES) QL1K

Just some questions:

What is the difference between the Gold 6130 QL1M, and the Gold 6130 QKGG? Will one be more likely to work better?

Is there a full list of motherboards that work with any/all of the above CPUs? And if some motherboards don't work, which ones can be modified to work?

What's the range of possible issues or limitations I may have with these CPUs? Is the 1.8GHz lock and motherboard compatibility the only real issues? Do all memory channels work? Does virtualization work properly? Does dual socket support work properly?

Also there is:

Intel Xeon Phi Processor 7290 (ES) QJW0

Will these 72 core processors work properly on any motherboard?

Thank you

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Is there a full list of motherboards that work with any/all of the above CPUs? And if some motherboards don't work, which ones can be modified to work?

What's the range of possible issues or limitations I may have with these CPUs? Is the 1.8GHz lock and motherboard compatibility the only real issues? Do all memory channels work? Does virtualization work properly? Does dual socket support work properly?
most of the supermicro boards supports es cpu, but only bios 2.x,
bios 3.x lacks support of skylake es because of low space for microcodes and some other reasons.
x11DPi-N(T) can be modyfied to run es.
All xeons are locked, but turbo boost will work.
virtualization works imho not properly.
there aren't any microcode updates for ES prozessors
ES lacks all corrections of errata in micorcode.
all memory channels work, some es don't run in dual configuration, but the seller will tell you that(hopefully)

Reactions: levihb

levihb

Jul 13, 2020
QKGG is ES1 very early/not good)
QL1M is ES2 latest rev. before QS <- take this
Thanks, how can I interpret these? The QL1L looks like good value, is that early/late?

virtualization works imho not properly.
Not properly? What issues have you/others noticed with it?

ES lacks all corrections of errata in micorcode.
Could you expand on this? And what real world impact have you/others noticed?

Thank you for the answers!

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Reactions: levihb

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
My assessment of the situation is you don't really want any of the QLxx ES2's for server-type workloads - the virtualization extensions are sort of broken and it's unclear if their are other issues with compatibility or IO. They're probably fine for a simple workstation though, a pair of QL1L and a used X11 board will get you 40 cores for under $1K which is a lot of horsepower if you are compiling kernels or doing large renders.

I would also strongly consider a Skylake-SP QS or a Cascade Lake ES, both of which are pretty well priced (26 cores for $600), have higher turbo, and are free of compatibility issues.

levihb

Jul 13, 2020
Can the X11SPM-TPF natively run the Skylake/Cascade Lake ES? Or can it be modified to run them? Looks like a really nifty little board.

crashes after days...
Does this only happen with virtualization? Would I be safe running a bare metal server? I was thinking of building a new NAS. The X11SPM-TPF with its onboard 10gbit SFP+, two onboard SAS ports, a Xeon Gold 6130 ES and ECC memory would be a great little system for a NAS.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Can the X11SPM-TPF natively run the Skylake/Cascade Lake ES? Or can it be modified to run them? Looks like a really nifty little board.
skylake ES2 runs with bios 2.x (if your board have 3.x you can downgrade to 2.x with the ipmi interface)
cascade lake ES runs with bios 3.x

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Does this only happen with virtualization? Would I be safe running a bare metal server? I was thinking of building a new NAS. The X11SPM-TPF with its onboard 10gbit SFP+, two onboard SAS ports, a Xeon Gold 6130 ES and ECC memory would be a great little system for a NAS.
what i know there is some errata in some tsx/tsb funcions that must be solved in SKL, this new microcode is not there for SKL ES.
why not take a cascade lake ES2 like the QQ8M,QQ8A. its only $100 more ?

levihb

Jul 13, 2020
Thanks, I likely will go with the Cascade Lake ones.

The Xeon Phi 7290's I referenced last week ended up selling for £210 for both. Something I noticed about the Phi QJW0 (the one I just linked to) is that they have the normal LGA3647 ILM, instead of the more square one you see on normal Xeon Phi, and all the Xeon Phi listed on ebay US. This difference made me wonder if maybe this variant could work in other LGA3647 boards?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
The Xeon Phi 7290's I referenced last week ended up selling for £210 for both. Something I noticed about the Phi QJW0 (the one I just linked to) is that they have the normal LGA3647 ILM, instead of the more square one you see on normal Xeon Phi, and all the Xeon Phi listed on ebay US. This difference made me wonder if maybe this variant could work in other LGA3647 boards?
there are narrow and square ILM, but thats not the socket type.
about the listing you referenced:
QJW0 is a skylake 16 core ES not a xeon phi (the seller was wrong)

systemviper

Mar 21, 2016
Newtown, CT
Hi, I have been lurking and love the forum, then i found this thread, still going..... tried to skim this the 114 pages looking for anything on the Quad socket mobo for the E7-8890 v4
I have been playing around with the E5 26XX V3 and v4 chips for a while now.
But i was able to get 4 - E7-8890 v4 and I would love to find a Quad socket mobo for the Processor E7-8890 v4
that would be sweet. I looking for a board that would take a standard home PSU not the traditional rack mount boards.
I am a cruncher and I am rebuilding my farm which was lost because of Covid19 (rent)
I think might have found one a while back but i have to check my links...

Has anyone built a Quad CPU rig or know anything about this, I would love to find a 4 way motherboard and build one of these monsters.

thanks for your time...
I need to find a mobo, help
:go-bananas:

Performance Specifications
# of Cores 24
# of Threads 48 X 4 = 192 threads

Processor Base Frequency
2.20 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency
3.40 GHz

I wonder what the all core frequency would be for this chip?
Cache
60 MB
Package Specifications
Sockets Supported
FCLGA2011

Max CPU Configuration
Memory Types
DDR4-1333/1600/1866 DDR3-1066/1333/1600

Intel® Xeon® Processor E7-8890 v4 (60M Cache, 2.20 GHz) Product Specifications

Some Rigs I built earlier this year...

This was a E5 2696V3 and a E5 2699 together in a SuperMicro Supermicro X10DRL-C , it was a fun build...

thanks again
SV

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Tell me about it, I've been looking for an X10QBL on eBay for three years now and have not seen a single one below MSRP.
you can buy it new. 1000 of people want this boards because the processors are cheap.
I had once played with the idea of buying E7 v4 processors. back then, I had the same problem with the motherboard. I then went to the lga3647 platform, meanwhile the used motherboards are cheap.

Reactions: systemviper

systemviper

Mar 21, 2016
Newtown, CT
you can buy it new. 1000 of people want this boards because the processors are cheap.
I had once played with the idea of buying E7 v4 processors. back then, I had the same problem with the motherboard. I then went to the lga3647 platform, meanwhile the used motherboards are cheap.

Hi, thanks for the reply...
yea that is what i am learning tooo, is there any single cpu boards or dual boards that can run the E7-8890 v4

Last edited: