Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
I think it was on zd but not 100%. I've looked at the article the problem is that the webgui is not available. It responds to ping, it queries for ip, it launches the island-xxxx wirlessnet, but I cant login using default credentials. It does not respond to ssh.
to be clear, you have factory reset the AP?

"Factory default the AP by holding in the reset button for 10 seconds. This will reset the APs IP address to 192.168.0.1."

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
Yeah multiple times, holding as long as several minutes.
The fact that you can see an island-xxxx wirlessnet means the AP has been reset from what I know. Can you bring up the web interface at all or does your Browser just time out and never bring it up? Or does it come up and the default Username/Password not work. If powered by POE, is your switch managed or unmanaged? If a managed switch is your POE port passing everything to and from the AP to whatever you are using to connect. I used a dumb POE switch I happened to have around and only connected the AP and my desktop to it to take everything else out of the equation. You have probably seen this but just in case:

Last edited:

Sealside

May 10, 2019
Stockholm/Sweden
The fact that you can see an island-xxxx wirlessnet means the AP has been reset from what I know. Can you bring up the web interface at all or does your Browser just time out and never bring it up?
No web interface available at all, same as ssh.
I powered with an external 2.5A adapter and connected it directly to my laptop which was configured with a static 192.168.0.20 ip and gw set to 192.168.0.1. Seems it is not booting fully since ssh is not available. Returning it, I.believe it's bricked somehow. I'll see if I can find another.

Thanks for the input

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
No web interface available at all, same as ssh.
I powered with an external 2.5A adapter and connected it directly to my laptop which was configured with a static 192.168.0.20 ip and gw set to 192.168.0.1. Seems it is not booting fully since ssh is not available. Returning it, I.believe it's bricked somehow. I'll see if I can find another.

Thanks for the input
Glad you can return. Good AP and robust, when someone does not sell you a lemon.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
I think it was on zd but not 100%. I've looked at the article the problem is that the webgui is not available. It responds to ping, it queries for ip, it launches the island-xxxx wirlessnet, but I cant login using default credentials. It does not respond to ssh.
Make sure you are on the right subnet and try to access the webgui with http:// https:// (forgot witch it was) for me it would not work just putting in the IP alone.

Reactions: Archangel_DT

Sealside

May 10, 2019
Stockholm/Sweden
@ViciousXUSMC Yeah tried both, didn't work. Got the money back so I guess I'm off hunting a new r710. Still have the bricked one, would be neat if I could recover it somehow. I guess I keep it for spare parts for the future.

raghu_mp

Jul 13, 2020
@ViciousXUSMC Yeah tried both, didn't work. Got the money back so I guess I'm off hunting a new r710. Still have the bricked one, would be neat if I could recover it somehow. I guess I keep it for spare parts for the future.
Was the laptop connected to the POE port? Try connecting to the other non-POE port and see if you can access the webgui or ssh.

Cybertron

Oct 4, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Hey guys, I just bought 4 of the R600's recently posted in the deals section, but I'm having a horrible time getting access to them. I've used both POE and adapter, but ping only responds for 2 packets between boot up and final solid green. Wifi "configure.me-xxxxxx" is available and I can connect using the S/N as the password, but the wifi goes on and off over and over and over, connect, disconnect, connect, disconnect. I'm not seeing any real help via google searches, does anyone have any pointers that might help?

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Hey guys, I just bought 4 of the R600's recently posted in the deals section, but I'm having a horrible time getting access to them. I've used both POE and adapter, but ping only responds for 2 packets between boot up and final solid green. Wifi "configure.me-xxxxxx" is available and I can connect using the S/N as the password, but the wifi goes on and off over and over and over, connect, disconnect, connect, disconnect. I'm not seeing any real help via google searches, does anyone have any pointers that might help?
Have you tried doing a factory reset/restore?

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Looking into picking up and donating a couple of R610's or R710's for a local non-profit that will likely have about 50-75 users during certain times of the day. Planning to upgrade their 4 old 802.11g off the shelve consumer access points with 4 of the R610/R710. POE+ switch equipment is already on-site.

On ebay, it looks like 4x lightly used R610's go for about $165 ea. ($660 total), or 4x lightly used R710's for about $275 ea. ($1,100 total). The users will be a revolving mix of cellphones & laptops that just need modest internet access for light stuff like email, google G-Suite, social media, and Zoom video calls. I'm leaning towards the R610's based upon price and if needed could deploy a 5th R610 as that would fit within the budget, but could really go either way if someone had some experience with both the R610 & R710 and could share how/if the R710's were much better for this type of usage. Internet connection at the non-profit is 1 Gbps down / 100 Mbps up.

Cybertron

Oct 4, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Have you tried doing a factory reset/restore?
I think i'm losing my mind. So I have a Mikrotik router which has a WAN of my Arris cable modem. I have no freaking clue how this is working, but it seems the Arris has an IP of 192.168.0.1 and it's accessible on my WiFi network!?! So freaking confused.

Anyway, I ended up pulling an old 8port gig switch out of the closet to just completely isolate this from my home network and now I'm able to get access to them. But my networking knowledge is really being challenged as I'm failing to understand the "Trunk, Access, General" port options. Either way, I've left everything alone and simply set the "internet" IP (confused again) as an IP on my LAN and now I can access it just find. Off to configuring Unleashed now thankfully.

Is there anywhere I could pay someone to sit down with me for an hour or so and help me redesign my network so it makes sense and is secure? I'd go up to like $150 or more if needed. Maybe post on Upwork?

**Edit**
Just a note, once everything was working after I isolated the AP, the install of Unleashed and configuration of it all was insanely easy and they work a LOT better than my previous APs I had installed. All clients reconnected seamlessly. 10/10.

Last edited:

Seaside

Jun 22, 2020
Is anyone into home automation? I've made a Ruckus Wireless binding for OpenHAB. Using the CLI you can get presence detection as well as block / unblock clients. I use it to turn off all my lights when no one is home.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Is anyone into home automation? I've made a Ruckus Wireless binding for OpenHAB. Using the CLI you can get presence detection as well as block / unblock clients. I use it to turn off all my lights when no one is home.

I'm a huge openhab user so this is great

Reactions: Sealside

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014

OMG, you made my day mate!

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016

I am :)
I am using a combination of NMAP and the HA app to do my presense detection. But I was searching for Ruckus integration and PFSense and didn't find anything so I will have to look into this!

Edit: Oops nvm I am a Home Assistant guy.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
@Seaside , I get an error about dependency when I created the thing file

" Could not find missing dependcy expect: Expect is not installed, install using "apt install expect"
is the jar file all that is needed for the binding to work?