Backing up for cheap

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rdsii64

Apr 16, 2020
I'm not sure where to put this so If its in the wrong place, please move it. With that being said, I have a strange back up problem. My media server runs windows 10 LTSC and emby. I have no drive redundancy just a server case with JBOD. I use backblaze's $6.00 a month unlimited backup service. My problem is I want to learn unraid, proxmox, docker containers, and all that jazz, and the only backblaze product that supports anything other than windows or MacOs isn't unlimited. A server case full of high capacity drives is already going to be expensive enough. How can I back up what will eventually be 160+ terabytes without spending a kings ransom in monthly fees. To be clear If a solution cost more than $6.00 thats ok. In fact I'm surprised backblaze even offers unlimited back up for so cheap. I'm just trying to find an affordable way that's better than what I'm doing, and will allow me to run some kind of drive redundancy.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Backblaze offers unlimited with many restrictions as most users will not be backing up multiple TB. Averaged across their user base, they can turn a profit. They know that anyone backing up VMs and containers is going to use considerably more storage and charge accordingly. You're not going to find anything inexpensive that offers that amount of storage. Your cheapest option is going to be another file server. Maybe tapes if you don't need it to be online.

Last edited:

rdsii64

Apr 16, 2020
Backblaze offers unlimited with many restrictions as most users will not be backing up multiple TB. Averaged across their user base, they can turn a profit. They know that anyone backing up VMs and containers is going to use considerably more storage and charge accordingly. You're not going to find anything inexpensive that offers that amount of storage. Your cheapest option is going to be another file server. Maybe tapes if you don't need it to be online.
I was afraid of that but I thought I would ask. At least my data is backed up. For $6.00 I shouldn't complain to much right.

Daniels25143

Nov 5, 2016
I use Crashplan pro. Have it running on an Ubuntu VM and it allows me to backup network shares with unlimited storage for $12/month. Crashplan won't allow you to backup VM images or full computer backups, but for any sort of regular backup it has worked fine for me for the last few years.

rdsii64

Apr 16, 2020
I use Crashplan pro. Have it running on an Ubuntu VM and it allows me to backup network shares with unlimited storage for $12/month. Crashplan won't allow you to backup VM images or full computer backups, but for any sort of regular backup it has worked fine for me for the last few years.
When you say you can't do full computer backups, can you elaborate?

Daniels25143

Nov 5, 2016
When you say you can't do full computer backups, can you elaborate?
Crashplan doesn't allow the backup images to be uploaded (windows 7 style full image creation). However if you are using the server as a file history target, all of those files will be backed up.

Reactions: rdsii64