HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus Review This is Super

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

marv

Apr 2, 2015
Can it work with 6core/8core or will it fry itself? Does it run with 64GB RAM? Can you order barebone?
Finally it a true successor to Gen8 :)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@marv other CPUs/ RAM is the next piece.

No barebone. I ordered the E-2224 one. The chip sells for well more than the differential versus the pentium version.

Reactions: marv

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I am assuming that can always add a single NVMe drive using a low profile PCIe to M.2 adapter. Putty can’t fit a 2.5” drive in.

compare this to a synology DS918+ and you can see which one wins in every possible way except idle power consumption. (But 22.5w is hardly high)

Siligent_Tech

May 15, 2020
I am curious as to how you got vSphere 7.0 to run on the HPE Gen10 Plus Microserver. I understand the s100i SATA controller is not compatible, but as I am hooking up a NAS, I dont need the storage, I just need a boot drive. You mentioned having to put in a hardware RAID card to just boot vSphere, are there cheaper internal boot drive options that you tried out for vSphere that worked? If I use the one expansion port for a Hardware RAID card, I cant get the 10Ge expansion port I need either... without the QNAP card you maybe mentioned. As HPE and VMWare both state this system is compatible with vSphere 7.0, it would be nice to know it actually is compatible without a $450 add on card!

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I am curious as to how you got vSphere 7.0 to run on the HPE Gen10 Plus Microserver. I understand the s100i SATA controller is not compatible, but as I am hooking up a NAS, I dont need the storage, I just need a boot drive.
Just install to a USB drive. S100i I don't think works as RAID but it's just the Intel PCH so it'll work to install for SATA. I'd still just use a USB boot device.

dandickson

Oct 2, 2017
@Patrick a bit of a long shot but did y’all see any issues with network adapters not starting in Windows? I have the LOM ports and then an X710-DA2 installed and am seeing random code 12 errors in Windows on either random LOM ports or both X710 ports.

I have 6 of these and all present slightly different symptoms, reinstalling the Proset drivers fixed the issue temporarily.

Thanks

dandickson

Oct 2, 2017
A random Mellanox thread is pointing me to suspect SR-IOV is causing the issues, i'm working through troubleshooting it now.

dandickson

Oct 2, 2017
@Patrick It's definitely related to SR-IOV, I pushed all systems over to Xen without SR-IOV enabled so I could get to the next project milestone and am not seeing any issues with network connectivity.

Working with the test environment, once I enabled a single SR-IOV network adapter in Xen it started throwing MMIO resource errors on boot, my guess is there is either a physical limitation with the Xeon config or there is a bug in the current shipping BIOS.

Reactions: Patrick

dandickson

Oct 2, 2017
@Patrick As I expected, HP sent this back with a note regarding that the Intel cards beyond the i350 are not certified on that chassis and won’t move forward with troubleshooting unless I install their supported cards.

I ordered a batch of P21930-B21which I’m hoping will resolve the issue or at least get to the next step of troubleshooting with HP.

This is a work project and we budgeted for the HP part so it’s not a big deal, but it’s worth noting as your review talks about installing a wide range of market available inexpensive 10G cards, that some might not work and unless it’s the HP part they won’t even look at where the issue lies.

I’ll update once again when I have the HP part deployed.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
@Patrick As I expected, HP sent this back with a note regarding that the Intel cards beyond the i350 are not certified on that chassis and won’t move forward with troubleshooting unless I install their supported cards.

I ordered a batch of P21930-B21which I’m hoping will resolve the issue or at least get to the next step of troubleshooting with HP.

This is a work project and we budgeted for the HP part so it’s not a big deal, but it’s worth noting as your review talks about installing a wide range of market available inexpensive 10G cards, that some might not work and unless it’s the HP part they won’t even look at where the issue lies.

I’ll update once again when I have the HP part deployed.
Did HPE validate the ConnectX-3 VPI (HP 544QSFP) on the machine? You can get one of those for cheap (less than 35 USD), and SRIOV works fine in Linux. Probably good to have if you want proof that it's a buggy SRIOV implementation on the firmware...

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Man how I wish these would be released with Ryzen. A 4950X in this thing would be amazing for the stuff I would do (like spinning up a VM to test a Windows image, torrents and NAS tasks)

dandickson

Oct 2, 2017
Did HPE validate the ConnectX-3 VPI (HP 544QSFP) on the machine? You can get one of those for cheap (less than 35 USD), and SRIOV works fine in Linux. Probably good to have if you want proof that it's a buggy SRIOV implementation on the firmware...
@WANg No, they only validated two 10G cards, see the bottom of page 16 here.

I ordered the Mellanox part as that fitted my deployment requirement of SFP+.

I have some ConnectX-3 VPI cards I use in my lab cluster, they are excellent cards but run way too hot for this chassis.