Cockpit ZFS Manager

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
Hey All, new minor update available: 0.3.0.299
  • Display snapshots in lists by file system on the snapshots tab
  • Display file systems and snapshots count
  • UI improvements
If you have 0.2 installed, you will receive an update alert when you login to Cockpit.

View attachment 13732

Still pre-release; so make sure to backup all data before playing with this update.

Hope you are all staying safe during this pandemic!
Looks really slick Optimans, and I like the totals count a lot. Let me know if you want me to try anything to test with!

Reactions: optimans

optimans

Feb 20, 2015
Hey All, new patch update available: 0.3.1.301
  • Fix: Modal buttons would not display correctly for Cockpit 217

If you are running an earlier version of Cockpit, this update is optional.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
i am totall noob of Linux.

but i got ubuntu desktop 20.04, samba version 4.11.6 and cockpit 215-1 installed. also your package installed as told on github page.

now my (stupid) question: how to run your program? any command in terminal or ip-address in firefox??

please, explain in a way like you should explain to a child of 12yrs old

Last edited:

optimans

Feb 20, 2015
Hi @ari2asem, no problem.

Cockpit is accessed via port 9090: https://{IP_Address or localhost}:9090

Once you login, ZFS will appear in the navigation menu. A Welcome modal should appear and let you get under way.

Reactions: ari2asem

ewwhite

Feb 16, 2017
Do you have any recommendations on how to get the Cockpit version of CentOS 7 to a level that supports the ZFS manager?
The CentOS 7 version of Cockpit is 195.6 and the majority of my ZFS systems are EL7.

optimans

Feb 20, 2015
Do you have any recommendations on how to get the Cockpit version of CentOS 7 to a level that supports the ZFS manager?
The CentOS 7 version of Cockpit is 195.6 and the majority of my ZFS systems are EL7.
Hi @ewwhite,

No luck I'm afraid.

I tried a CentOS 7.8 VM today and was unable to upgrade Cockpit. Cockpit Project have removed Preview EPEL7 from their repo. Manual build for v201 also failed for me too. Using CZM on v195 does not work properly either; Lsblk version is too old, any functions that requires disk info, like storage pool status, create storage pool, replace disk, etc don't work. V195 also uses PatternFly v3, whilst CZM is coded for v4.

Red Hat / Oracle Linux 8.2 is currently out and CentOS will be shortly. Cockpit v211 comes pre-installed with this update and no need for modifying. EL 8.2 and latest ZFS 0.8.4 update might be the way to go if you can.

ewwhite

Feb 16, 2017
Understood. That's a tough situation. I have many EL6 and EL7 systems in production and was hoping this could work.
Manual builds of newer Cockpit on EL7 also was unsuccessful for me.

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
@optimans I vaguely recall seeing something about this, but I can't find it now. With the option on the welcome screen for a new setup "Remove packages that cause problems for ZFS" - what specific packages is it removing?

Background: I set up a VM (originally) with the latest version of OpenMediaVault and discovered that the OMV-Extras plugin now has one-click-install support for, among other things, Cockpit, and it always had the Proxmox kernel (which gives native ZFS kernel support). So I'm moving back to OMV with my latest hardware rebuild for ease of other administration options, and I don't want to break something by accident.

EDIT: Also, in case you missed it (I don't know if you get notifications of forks) it looks like the guys at 45 Drives like your project, since they've forked it. :)

Last edited:

optimans

Feb 20, 2015
@optimans I vaguely recall seeing something about this, but I can't find it now. With the option on the welcome screen for a new setup "Remove packages that cause problems for ZFS" - what specific packages is it removing?
Hi @Wolfstar,

This option if enabled, at present will remove the SOS Report package for Cockpit if installed. Should have no effect on your system, as it will delete the web folder only (as reported by cockpit-bridge). You can enable/disable option with the Welcome/Configure Cockpit ZFS Manager modals.

When running a diagnostic report with SOS Report, ZFS drives will start appearing offline 1 at a time, and before you know it, your storage pools are offline with potential data loss.

optimans

Feb 20, 2015
EDIT: Also, in case you missed it (I don't know if you get notifications of forks) it looks like the guys at 45 Drives like your project, since they've forked it. :)
Yeah I saw this a little while ago, they have added support for Polkit, so they can have normal users performing specific ZFS tasks as per their policies.

Would like to know if they have started rolling it out on their customer's systems.

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
Hi @Wolfstar,

This option if enabled, at present will remove the SOS Report package for Cockpit if installed. Should have no effect on your system, as it will delete the web folder only (as reported by cockpit-bridge). You can enable/disable option with the Welcome/Configure Cockpit ZFS Manager modals.

When running a diagnostic report with SOS Report, ZFS drives will start appearing offline 1 at a time, and before you know it, your storage pools are offline with potential data loss.
Awesome, thank you for the clarification. And yes, I'd be rather curious to know if they're deploying as well.

optimans

Feb 20, 2015
Hi @minhneo,

Thanks for the heads up.

I have released 0.3.2.348 which should fix this issue. As of Cockpit 221 there has been a spec change requiring each package to generate their own PatternFly CSS. I have tested this on builds 201 - 221.

Can you please test to make sure this works OK? Will need to do a hard reload in your browser or logout and login to make sure it is refreshed.

Thanks

Reactions: minhneo

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Thanks for making this, its awesome!

I saw a new version was posted recently, what is the recommended way to update? Just pull it down again and copy over what I already have?

minhneo

Oct 3, 2018
Hi @minhneo,

Thanks for the heads up.

I have released 0.3.2.348 which should fix this issue. As of Cockpit 221 there has been a spec change requiring each package to generate their own PatternFly CSS. I have tested this on builds 201 - 221.

Can you please test to make sure this works OK? Will need to do a hard reload in your browser or logout and login to make sure it is refreshed.

Thanks
Thanks for making this, its awesome!

optimans

Feb 20, 2015
I saw a new version was posted recently, what is the recommended way to update? Just pull it down again and copy over what I already have?
Yeah, download and copy/overwrite the existing files for now.

I am planning for RPM and DEB packages with 0.4. CZM is already on AUR for Arch Linux users (not maintained by me though).

Little sneak peek for 0.4 so far:

Sector size for Add Virtual Device, Attach Disk and Disk Replace modals:

1592199762382.png1592199801867.png

Attach and replace disks will also display warning if virtual device sector size is different to storage pool default setting.

Key File encryption support for File System:

1592199995172.png1592200005590.png1592200016460.png1592200030902.png

Plan is to be able to change key files, switch between passphrase and key files and visa versa.
URL key file location support for when ZFS 2.0 is ready.

Alt Root, Key Location, and Mountpoints will have path selection as you type:

1592200611382.png

More features/fixes to come soon!

Morgan Simmons

Feb 18, 2015
Thanks for all your help with the samba issue - I was able to get it resolved and working well.
My array is working perfectly currently, I was just curious as to why I'm not getting any of the status information populated.
Please see this picture.

1593819165773.png

Thanks in advance, and stay safe

optimans

Feb 20, 2015
Thanks for all your help with the samba issue - I was able to get it resolved and working well.
My array is working perfectly currently, I was just curious as to why I'm not getting any of the status information populated.
Please see this picture.

View attachment 14852

Thanks in advance, and stay safe
Hi Marshall, no problem. Glad the Samba issues were resolved.

With this picture, what information is not being displaying for you? It looks like the Seagate disks are identified a bit differently compared to Intel and WD drives. Seems to be showing WWN in brackets. Message section will hide trim unsupported messages by default (configurable). If there are any issues with the virtual devices/disks, they will populate here.

Can you please have a look at the browser console to see if there are any warning messages? CZM console messages start with a timestamp. You can also enable verbose logging and send me a PM with the output/log if need be.

Morgan Simmons

Feb 18, 2015
Hi Marshall, no problem. Glad the Samba issues were resolved.

With this picture, what information is not being displaying for you? It looks like the Seagate disks are identified a bit differently compared to Intel and WD drives. Seems to be showing WWN in brackets. Message section will hide trim unsupported messages by default (configurable). If there are any issues with the virtual devices/disks, they will populate here.

Can you please have a look at the browser console to see if there are any warning messages? CZM console messages start with a timestamp. You can also enable verbose logging and send me a PM with the output/log if need be.

I appreciate the reply - I just thought that each disk would populate with the read/write/checksum information, instead of showing 0's. It is not a deal breaker in any way shape or form, I just wanted to make sure that I didn't misconfigure anything.