ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Myouri Alter

Mar 2, 2020
Hello,

I’m new here at STH.I’m planning to get 2 QMAD (i heard that it’s 8170 QS). I’m not so sure about it. I want to ask if it works with asus C621E sage.

Thanks

Vit K

Feb 23, 2017
All right I have a question now, is Xeon Phis 7200 that currently selling at celeron prices (60-80 USD for 72 atom cores with 16 Gb ram already integrated as additional channels if I read it correctly) can be run at regular (ie supermicro) motherboards? Also if motherboard states it support only phis (ie Dell 6320p), will I be able to put regular Xeon Scalable there?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
All right I have a question now, is Xeon Phis 7200 that currently selling at celeron prices (60-80 USD for 72 atom cores with 16 Gb ram already integrated as additional channels if I read it correctly) can be run at regular (ie supermicro) motherboards? Also if motherboard states it support only phis (ie Dell 6320p), will I be able to put regular Xeon Scalable there?
regular supermicro boards DONT support Xeon PHI.
the PowerEdge C6320p comes with chipset c612, scalable xeons needs chipset(s) c62x.
the partner of the C6320p, the PowerEdge C6420 runs scalable xeons.

Reactions: Vit K

domrockt

Apr 18, 2020
Germany
Hy Guys and Gals ,
I bought a pair of these
eBay Link
Intel Xeon Prozessor Platinum 8170 es qneu 26 Core 2.1g, Turbo 3.7g CPU Steppin 4

They Work without any problem on my Asus WS C621E SAGE , no BIOS Mod needed.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Intel Xeon Prozessor Platinum 8170 es qneu 26 Core 2.1g, Turbo 3.7g CPU Steppin 4
They Work without any problem on my Asus WS C621E SAGE , no BIOS Mod needed.
..because they have skylake prod.unit stepping H0 (cpuid 50654)
Mod is needed for cpuid B0 50652

Reactions: domrockt

centaur

Jul 2, 2020
Hey guys,
I have these components:
- brand-new SuperMicro X11SPH-nCTF
- used ES CPU from ebay: Intel Xeon QL1M CPU Processor Gold 6130 ES CPU LGA 3647 16 Core 1.8GHz QL1M.
- brand-new Noctua NH-U14S DX-3647
- brand new 4 x 16GB Kingston KTH-PL424S/16G and also tried with 4 x 16GB SK hynix HMA82GR7JJR8N

When I install 1 memory module I receive message: "no memory DIMM detected, install memory DIMMs"
When I install 4 modules I receive message: "Failing DIMM: DIMM location. (Uncorrectable memory component found)

When I start without memory - 5 short, 1 long - Memory error - No memory detected in system :)

I can't enter BIOS to check if CPU is recognized, I suspect this ES isn't working on this mobo :(

Any advice?
p.s. this is my first ES cpu :|

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
When I install 1 memory module I receive message: "no memory DIMM detected, install memory DIMMs"
When I install 4 modules I receive message: "Failing DIMM: DIMM location. (Uncorrectable memory component found)
"Failing DIMM: DIMM location. (Uncorrectable memory component found)"
Is what it means, the Memory is bad or your processor is not properly installed.
in which slots are the memroy modules in ? keep the black ones empty,
try one module in DIMM_A1 (the first blue downside)
You need bios 2.x
Bios 3.x don't support skylake es cpu.
you can downgrade the bios using the ipmi webinterface without cpu(board in standby)

centaur

Jul 2, 2020
"Failing DIMM: DIMM location. (Uncorrectable memory component found)"
Is what it means, the Memory is bad or your processor is not properly installed.
in which slots are the memroy modules in ? keep the black ones empty,
try one module in DIMM_A1 (the first blue downside)
You need bios 2.x
Bios 3.x don't support skylake es cpu.
you can downgrade the bios using the ipmi webinterface without cpu(board in standby)
Thanks for quick reply,
I already tried all memory combinations including only one slot in A1.

In the attach is info from ipmi with 4 x 16GB and CPU installed. As you can see, bios detected 6126 instead of 6130 :)

Any hint where to find old bios for this new mobo?
I already searched supermicro site but withour success :confused:

Attachments

Last edited:

centaur

Jul 2, 2020
Thanks to you guidance in PM, I successfully downgraded bios.
CPU is now OK, but I still have problem with memory.
Although 4 modules are built in, system only see B1 module and reports the same error as earlier: "Failing DIMM: DIMM location. (Uncorrectable memory component found).

Currently, memory modules are Hynix which I switched with friend. Tomorrow I will switch back my Kingston memory modules and I will install OS to see how it works.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Although 4 modules are built in, system only see B1 module and reports the same error as earlier: "Failing DIMM: DIMM location. (Uncorrectable memory component found).
cpu not presses enough in socket ?
check skrews 3 & 4 of the cooler.
the 2 springs of the socket have to be pulled all the way up.

Reactions: centaur

centaur

Jul 2, 2020
cpu not presses enough in socket ?
check skrews 3 & 4 of the cooler.
the 2 springs of the socket have to be pulled all the way up.
That worked! Thank you :)
I followed Noctua user manual where it is written that screws 3&4 shouldn't be tighten too much :confused:

So when I tighten them, all memory is visible :cool:

Guys, thank you very much for the assistance :)

Reactions: RolloZ170

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
That worked! Thank you :)
I followed Noctua user manual where it is written that screws 3&4 shouldn't be tighten too much :confused:

So when I tighten them, all memory is visible :cool:

Guys, thank you very much for the assistance :)
Noctua and others are right, maximum torque is 1,38 Nm.
but that happens at the end of the skrewing ;-)
Without any memory inserted you can see the leaf springs. with some experience you have this torque in your fingers.

Reactions: centaur

uabbit

Jul 6, 2020
update !
You need the modded 3.0 BIOS to run SKL ES2 on X11DPi-NT, BIOS 2.x will not work :(
Hello,

I'm new here, I followed your king remarks and suggestion from ebay to come here and ask for help. Here is my situation: I own a Supermicro X11DPI-NT0 board Rev 2.0 and one ES Xeon with letters QL1J, according to seller this should be a 14 core 5120 Gold. At CPU-ID the cpu can be fould with ID 50652h. I use 2x8 Gb ECC REG from MICRON (MTA18ASF1G72PZ). The CPU and the RAM is working for sure, I had a single socket X11SPI-TF-0 before and it was all good. Now i have problems at boot, I've got always error B7 which should be related to the memory. Memory is inserted in A1, I tried both rams separately. I cannot get into BIOS, I see the SUPERMICRO logo and the Post process and as I said it stopps at B7. The BIOS version is unknown.
Here my question:
- can you provide me a guide how and which BIOS (you mentioned a modified one) I should install in order to get the system working
- is the IPMI interface the way to install over the IP the modified BIOS? Where should I put the lan cable from the router to make the IP visible? The board has 2xdelta and one separate LAN plug.
- In the attached pic the CPU-Z info can be seen. As you mentioned, the B0 revision is the one with problems?

Thank you for all your help in advance!

XEON_3647_ES.jpg