Maxtor is back???

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Oh it just looks like Seagate's alter-ego, unfortunately not the original Maxtor we all grew up with alongside Quantum.

A little bit of history...

A few gents from IBM started up Maxtor, they purchased a HDD manufacturer MiniScribe. A few years later Maxtor purchased Quantum, then Seagate came along and purchased Maxtor.

Seagate's main competitor Western Digital purchased Hitachi drives division, not long ago they also purchased Sandisk.

So I guess the two main big boys left in the hard-drive world are Seagate and Western Digital.

Would make a great article to go back in history and how the spinning disk all began to where it is today.

Last edited:

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Ugh, Maxtor. Can't believe how many of those drives I had to toss over the years!

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Ugh, Maxtor. Can't believe how many of those drives I had to toss over the years!
I bet it was the DiamondMax series right? everyone I knew had them, but if it weren't for them, consumers may never have taken backups seriously lol

Meanwhile I was tootling along just fine with my underrated Fujitsu, strangely enough my Fujitsu drives still work to this day, specially stored away along with a Quantum, awaiting a future retro build I never get round to doing.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
I bet it was the DiamondMax series right? everyone I knew had them, but if it weren't for them, consumers may never have taken backups seriously lol

Meanwhile I was tootling along just fine with my underrated Fujitsu, strangely enough my Fujitsu drives still work to this day, specially stored away along with a Quantum, awaiting a future retro build I never get round to doing.
Indeed they were! Ironically, I still have a working DiamondMax in storage.

Last edited:

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
That chart is missing so much. Probable the most egregious example is MPI and Imprimis between CDC and Seagate. Evotek was bought by somebody (I forget who) for their sputtered media technology. Priam became Vertex and I'm not sure where they went after that. Likewise for Atasi. Hopefully CMI was nuked from orbit - it's the only way to be sure.

Reactions: Dreece and Patrick

kagurazakakotori

Mar 5, 2017
It a rebranded Phison entry level ssd using PS3111 controller. Seems Seagate now use Maxtor brand for its entry level ssd.

am45931472

Feb 26, 2019
On general principal i cant touch maxtor. Mentally scared forever by drive failure rates way above everyone else

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
On general principal i cant touch maxtor. Mentally scared forever by drive failure rates way above everyone else
Early Maxtor drives like the XT-2190 (154MB ST-506) were quite reliable as they were built like battleships. The thing that killed them was people going nuts from the noise when the spindle bearing started "singing".