Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
May 1, 2020
Or maybe when removing one the latch catched the rim of the grounding sheet and tore it apart... It is strange nonetheless.
I like the idea that they were taking the switch out of the rack with one cable left in it, and accidentally dropped the switch. The cable sacrificed itself to save the switch with only the damage you see externally.

EngineerNate

Jun 3, 2017
You guys aren't making me feel better about that damage so I'm glad I swapped units. :p

Something tells me dangling a whole switch from an RJ45 jack isn't super great for the jack.

In any case. Any input on reversing airflow? It's unclear to me why the G and non-G models have reversed flow directions in the first place.

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
You guys aren't making me feel better about that damage so I'm glad I swapped units.
You had the opportunity to make the swap and you did the right thing ;)

Something tells me dangling a whole switch from an RJ45 jack isn't super great for the jack.
Who cares about the jack? :D
Just kidding, mine was just an hypothesis, maybe the real cause was a completely different one...

safrax

Jun 21, 2020
I got my kit yesterday, thanks for the advice for those of you who commented! Now I have another question, is my device fully licensed? I've got an ICX6610-48p with the QSFP+ ports on the back.

telnet@ICX6610-48P Router>show license
Index Lic Mode Lic Name Lid/Serial No Lic Type Status Lic Period Lic Capacity
Stack unit 1:
1 Node Lock ICX6610-PREM-LIC-SW dzmHKHKmFMh Normal Active Unlimited 65535
2 Node Lock ICX6610-10G-LIC-POD dzmHKHKmFMh Normal Active Unlimited 4

I think I may have accidentally blown the license config away while following @fohdeesha guide on setting the switch up.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
I got my kit yesterday, thanks for the advice for those of you who commented! Now I have another question, is my device fully licensed? I've got an ICX6610-48p with the QSFP+ ports on the back.

telnet@ICX6610-48P Router>show license
Index Lic Mode Lic Name Lid/Serial No Lic Type Status Lic Period Lic Capacity
Stack unit 1:
1 Node Lock ICX6610-PREM-LIC-SW dzmHKHKmFMh Normal Active Unlimited 65535
2 Node Lock ICX6610-10G-LIC-POD dzmHKHKmFMh Normal Active Unlimited 4

I think I may have accidentally blown the license config away while following @fohdeesha guide on setting the switch up.
You have a premium license and one license for unlocking 10G on the SFP+ ports. Each ICX6610-10G-LIC-POD license enables up to 4 ports, so you'd need two such licenses if you wanted to use 10G on all 8 SFP+ ports

You should contact @fohdeesha directly via DM :)

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
In the Fastiron web UI, does 'Lock Address' mean the same as the Port MAC Security that one has to configure via the CLI?

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 10.31.19 AM.png

KC8FLB

Aug 12, 2018
I have a 6450-48p with a bad power supply (verified by swapping with known good power supply) Are there replacements available at a reasonable cost? My google-fu not producing results today. Thank you.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
In any case. Any input on reversing airflow? It's unclear to me why the G and non-G models have reversed flow directions in the first place.
just switch the fan direction around and monitor temps, I have a feeling it'll be fine. If I remember right somewhere here with a 7250 swapped the fann direction and actually saw slightly cooler temps but I could be misremembering

Reactions: EngineerNate

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
I have a 6450-48p with a bad power supply (verified by swapping with known good power supply) Are there replacements available at a reasonable cost? My google-fu not producing results today. Thank you.
I am not aware of any part number, but it should be a dual +12/+54V supply, with a bit of soldering and wire work you can adapt any "standard" one.

Or you can try to search for any serial number that you can find on the supply block.

@fohdeesha: do you know if the supply units for the 6610 PoE, taken out of their modular cages, can be adapted in a 6450?

pr09

Jun 21, 2020
Any 2020 updates to the rack ear situation? I just got a 7250-24P without any mounting hardware. Does it use the same brackets as the 6610 and others? Has anyone successfully 3d printed or machined something, or found a universal option that works?

Seems like all the authentic ones are at least $100, and usually marked out of stock or backordered.

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
Any 2020 updates to the rack ear situation? I just got a 7250-24P without any mounting hardware. Does it use the same brackets as the 6610 and others? Has anyone successfully 3d printed or machined something, or found a universal option that works?

Seems like all the authentic ones are at least $100, and usually marked out of stock or backordered.
I'd not trust a 3d printer rack ear with those kinds of shear loads that the unit applies to them.
For the front ones, they are a plain old L shaped stamped steel piece, you can make one with little effort using some steel sheet and a drill to make the holes if you can't find a kit for sale.

EngineerNate

Jun 3, 2017
I'm trying the ears that come in the ICX7750-RMK kit, I'll report back. I got it for $60 which considering it came with the funky USB serial cable as well I was okay with.

I'll report back.

Fallen Kell

Mar 10, 2020
There are some universal rack ear kits out there (basically it has a bunch of flush mount screw hole drilled into the side in a grid pattern). As long as you don’t absolutely need to have the switch be perfectly aligned in the rack (I.e. it might stick up above or down below the 1u rack unit it is in) many of these would work. You can also look at a rack tray which seem to be cheaper to find than the ears for these switches, and then just use some Velcro or double sided tape on the bottom of the switch to keep it from sliding without some decent forces applied to it.

Also, for anyone who was having fans not spinning down (at least on the 6610), I found that if you have 2 power supplies installed and only one connected, it will not slow down the fans from the highest speed setting. Not sure if that applies to several of the people posting about their fans always being on full or not, but thought I would share (I mentioned it before, but it is somewhere buried in this thread).

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Also, for anyone who was having fans not spinning down (at least on the 6610), I found that if you have 2 power supplies installed and only one connected, it will not slow down the fans from the highest speed setting.
depends on the PSU Rev. For B&C revisions, even a single PSU will spin down and is much quieter. @fohdeesha covers that in the first few posts.

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
There are some universal rack ear kits out there (basically it has a bunch of flush mount screw hole drilled into the side in a grid pattern). As long as you don’t absolutely need to have the switch be perfectly aligned in the rack (I.e. it might stick up above or down below the 1u rack unit it is in) many of these would work.
It would be easier to buy those universal ears and make the holes to align to the switch case than to buy a shelf or lose a unit worth of space due to clearance issues IMHO. ;)

pr09

Jun 21, 2020
It would be easier to buy those universal ears and make the holes to align to the switch case than to buy a shelf or lose a unit worth of space due to clearance issues IMHO. ;)
Do you have any examples of universal ears that have sufficient space to drill custom holes? I couldn't find anything that didn't have a bunch of holes that partially overlapped where I'd need them.

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
Do you have any examples of universal ears that have sufficient space to drill custom holes? I couldn't find anything that didn't have a bunch of holes that partially overlapped where I'd need them.
Sorry, I don't have such examples... my 6450 came with rack ears so I haven't searched for those.

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
If, like me, you're one of those unfortunate ICX7150-C12P owners whose power supply has died, take comfort. There are replacement units available. Digikey has at least two: items LB240S56K and GCS350PS56 at the top of the list linked below. These are both 56VDC supplies which will deliver adequate power even after derating for convection cooling. They're the same form factor and use the same connectors as the original Ruckus PSU.

Warning: they both cost over $100!

The LB240S56K is a 'big brother' of the 130W LB130S56 @fohdeesha mentioned in a Reddit post on this subject (see below), and which I've purchased on eBay and intend to try out. I'm only running a single PoE device off my switch (an AP) so the lower power rating shouldn't be a problem -- I hope. If it doesn't work out, I'm either going to spring for a new C12P with warranty, or one of the PSUs above. Haven't made up my mind about that yet.
https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/dz989v

EngineerNate

Jun 3, 2017
Question for you guys, when I set up my current ToR switch, I had to disable some proprietary discovery protocols on my WAN VLAN to keep the switch from wigging out my cable modem. There were the standard protocols I could turn off in the web gui, then I had to go into the CLI to turn off the "Nortel Discovery Protocol" that was part of how Nortel switches of that type did auto stacking config if you stacked using the regular ports instead of the dedicated cables.

Do these (ICX7250) have anything like that I'll need to turn off? I don't have a cable modem right now but the config worked perfectly when I moved and switched to municipal fiber, so I'm inclined to set the new switch up identically before switching over (port mappings and all) and then work from there.

James Verbunk

Apr 13, 2018
Hey Everyone,

Does anyone have info on using the SDN capability in a 6610?

Apologies if I didn't read up to my answer yet (I'm 'only' on page 78).

-J