Anything I can do to "tweak" or further optimize my EPYC rig?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
Is there any BIOS or windows settings that I can "tweak" to further improve my EPYC 7702 performance? On a consumer level board such as the 3950x there are tons of options to tweak and sometimes you set 15%+ improvement in performance, anything similar for the EPYC system?

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
nope, server boards are mostly (99,9%) very conservative about any type of overclocking (cpu, memory, timings etc etc).

i know you talk about optimizing/tweaking, but that is also overclocking.

so, short answer to your question: no, not on server platform. why ? my guess: overclocking can give you some unstable machine, this is what you don't want in server enviroment.

but....for example mining monero coin with your cpu's....sometimes you get higher moner-hashrate if you disable CACHE PREFETCH. this is something you can disable in epyc-bios (unmodded bios). this way you can get little bi higher hashrate for monero. but this is not a real "tweaking", comparable to desktop-bios's. because in dekstop-bios you can also disable/enable CACH PREFETCH.

but (2nd time)......what program or software are you using ?? any specific name ??
maybe then you can profit from changing some bios settings.

once again...server platform (epyc) is desinged for stability...not for overclocking/optimizing.....

i have dual epyc 7551 system....i can run some benchmarks for you if you want that

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
Hey thanks for the reply! I am just using XMRig to do monero mining and not running any mission critical stuff. I've been reading on a few tuning guides online on how to tune the system for max performance vs efficiency.

Last edited:

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
Hey thanks for the reply! I am just using XMRig to do monero mining and not running any mission critical stuff. I've been reading on a few tuning guides online on how to tune the system for max performance vs efficiency.
well, i use smrig, too. disabling CACHE PREFETCHER on my dual epyc 7551 has very very little positive effect on hashrate. very neglectable....

also, something weird...since any version of xmrig above 5.7.0. gives me some errors after some hours running xmrig, under windows user-locked desktop....
but...good luck mining

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
I wont mess with it then :) I am getting a nice 43000 H/s with the EPYC 24/7 for the past week w/o any issues whatsoever. Did you check your temperature?

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
2.33GHZ when doing monero mining because I think the latest version uses AVX. CPU temp is 55 to 60C, VRM temp under 60C

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
ok, my numbers...dual epyc 7551 (32cores/64 threads ech cpu, total 64cores/128threads). mining with 64 threads inside xmrig because of epyc naples L3 cache limitation for monero. hardware limitation...all-core boost max cpu speed at aroun 2,50-2,53 ghz with 64 threads in xmrig. max temps cpu 65°C, VRM max at 74°C in room temp at 40 °C. room temp at 40°C is like a sauna :)

hashrate for total of 30-32 Kh/s. but mostly 30 kh/s for dual epyc 7551