How to Use Qlogic QLE2560?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PseudoResonance

Jun 24, 2020
Hi, I got myself an R710 for super cheap off eBay, and it came with 2 Qlogic QLE2560s in it, but I honestly have no clue what they are for. I see here that they are 8Gbps FC HBAs, which from what I understand, could be utilized to connect my server to something like external storage? Is that the case with these?

Ideally, I would have some sort of external enclosure for 3.5" HDDs, because they are so much cheaper for the capacity than buying the 2.5" SSDs that fit in the server. Is there any way I could do something like this, and maybe make use of the otherwise unused QLE2560s I have?

Sorry for any confusion, I've been trying to research what these are for, but I haven't been able to figure out much, especially since I've never dealt with fiber in my life, and my only experience with enterprise hardware is with that R710. Thank you!

PseudoResonance

Jun 24, 2020
Those are Fiber HBA's. and you would need an enclosure that uses fiber to connect to them.

There are some xyratec Dell Xyratex Compellent Fibre Channel RS-1600-FC Drive Enclosure | eBay chassis that you could use. but I usually have a SAN Switch and SAN controller involved.

it is usually easier to sell those fiber HBA on ebay and get normal SAS HBA to a normal enclosure.

Chris
I see, I obviously want it to work well and be reliable, but in the end, it is basically just for my own enjoyment and learning and not a production environment or anything.

I'd rather go with the cheaper option though, so do you think it would be significantly cheaper or easier or something to swap out the FC HBAs for SAS ones and do that, or is there not too big of a difference?

Thank you for the quick response!