Finally: Overclocking EPYC Rome ES

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hrvoje.sedlic

Dec 23, 2019
It doesn't crash, but rendering speed is not consistent, same is with corona benchmark. Press once we get 22k result, press again it's 34k etc.

Epyc

May 1, 2020
Someone found a way to boot ES cpu on latest bios for the h11dsi ? I know that it's possible to boot on latest bios version on other sm board by downgrading agesa ,I've tried here dowgrading agesa and NBIO pei related driver but without success...

Also is it possible to lower P1_SOCRUN ? Mine are running freaking hot and hard to cool.
Mine has the same on one socket. Only one red but only still at 1,16V. So that shouldn't be that bad. Doest get really warm but I do got good cooling. What volt is you're running at?

Epyc

May 1, 2020
Right, so optimistically:
Epyc: 8x 2933 = 23,464
Threadripper: 4x 3600 = 14,400

So about 39% slower, assuming 1800 / 3600 is stably achievable.
This is my old trusty 2950X running mission critical jobs as main green screen editing for live broadcast.
Makes my epyc es feel a little, underutilized.
Got the IF 1:1 at 1835,6
for a first gen+ thats really not bad if i might say so considering rock solid for months with heavy real time workloads.
IMG_20200523_151510_result.jpg

dassiq

Jul 10, 2017
That's actually way to high, I would really recommend taking of the cooler and double check in the whole die is covered with a thin layer of thermal paste. Also the cooler has to be tighten with some power. Also don't forget to do it gentile and tighten crisscross untill it's fixedView attachment 14038View attachment 14039View attachment 14040
Many Thanks @ExecutableFix @Epyc @Brainbug

I have the setup running at 3.8Ghz with 9400+ CB-R15 score on Air. I am using the High multi-core preset.

It was the uniform thermal paste issue .

Best Regards

efschu3

Mar 11, 2019
@I.nfraR.ed
Did you make any progress on the linux tool?

So I have gotten a partial defect ZS1711E3VIVG5 (only 27 of 32 cores are working) - I am able to let them run allcore on 3.90GHz for 4GHz my cooling is to weak (but the chip could do it). MT performance is like a TR 3960X, ST performance is like 1800X/2700. Now I have to mod my ASUS KPNA-U16 UEFI, to let me set the IF and ram clock.

Havent done any BIOS/UEFI modification - so I'll have to learn it - this may take some time ;-)

Last edited:

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
do i need to edit the bios to get a retail rome(waiting for an 04 64core) working on a h11dsi rev1?
tried using Rome_H11DSI_Rev1 from the rar file but it dosnt wanna post. a little unclear if need to copy something from the rev2 bios first or if thats done already in the "moddedromebioses.rar"

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I have some AIDS64 results that I find a bit strange. Here is a pile of them:

But these two in specific are interesting and represent a consistent trend I'm finding.

They are from the same bios settings and bootup, they are separated only by applying the Overclock tool.

I'll summarize:

All latencies go down with overclock... Great!
Ram bandwidth stays Flat (as expected)
L1 and L2 cache bandwidth go way up (proportional to clock speed?)
L3 bandwidth plummets!!
I'm finding this in many different configurations. For some reason applying an overclock cuts the L3 bandwidth significantly. Any thoughts as to why?

P.S. testing my CFD workloads has shown that 2400 MHz with IF synced is better than 3200/1600 mode (and uses cheaper RAM). Like the other member "Epyc" I am unable to get more than 2400 MHz to work on a "ZS" model.

QS-2400-IFSync-stock.pngQS-2400-IFSync-OC.png

68k-dude

Jan 2, 2020
Does a Noctua 12 S suffice for cooling an overlocked 7502 or should I go for a water cooling system?
Hello o/

I don't think it has the mounting hardware. I would check the specifications before getting one.

I went with the Dark Rock Pro TR4 for my setup. My experience with them so far has been great.

It's pretty big so make sure you have the space for it.

DRPTR4_h_w_4.jpg

Stock pic not taken by me

Good luck with the project and I hope you have lots of fun

Reactions: EagerToLearn

EagerToLearn

Feb 25, 2020
Thx. I did not know TR4 and SP3 habe the same mounting holes.

Did you try 24/7 with the dark rock? If so, what temps have you achieved?

EagerToLearn

Feb 25, 2020
Would you mind sharing your temperatures? Under normal conditions I would have had no doubt about air cooling, but I do plan to overclock it :)

Epyc

May 1, 2020
Cachemem.png
A more memory bandwidth focussed tuning
Does anyone else have a non functioning E1 memory slot? or is it really just me that's having the issue, on both sockets.

Epyc

May 1, 2020
EPYC, can you share how you configured that bandwidth tuning? I'm well below those numbers.
Sure i can, I will list my settings:
Memory to 3200, ignore that the IF will run at only 800.
Have not yet tuned the timings but certainly could do for extra performance
Give the soc vid a bit of extra juice, i mostly set it to 50 that results in 1,05V
CLD0_VDDP Voltage 900mw, this really ads to stability for me
apbdis 1 - so IF fabric does not downclock
df states disabled with fixed soc pstate p0 - IF fabric highest power stage
ctdp 280 and performance determenistic. - dont know if it helps but sure doesn't hurt
xGMI width to 8x and the link speed at 13gbps - if you can go higher, but quickly leads to instability for me
TSME DIsabled - memory encryption that leads to 5ns-7ns extra latency
SMT off and make every L3 cache declare numa domain.

Thats about it,
And gave it a mild boost on the core clock with the utility to 2250mhz up from 1700.
I can mostly do 2450 stable unless going for the full blown endless compute tasks, then i need to drop back a bit.

Reactions: Layla and chraac

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
thats very similar to what I do but the results are very much better.

I dont turn off SMT (need it), leave xgmi at 16
I was using 10.66ghz on your recommendation, ill try 13, the rest I've tried/done the same.

Anyways I'll give it a repeat soon.