Gigabyte R180-F34 1U Server (2011-3) $94-109 + Shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I've had this in my watch list for a while now, but haven't bought one myself, so I can't comment on quality or specifics on the item or the seller. But the price seemed good, so thought I'd share.

Its 1U, so not the most desirable form factor. But its dual 2011-3 (E5 v3/v4), and includes a pair of 80+ Platinum PSUs and trays, which I thought was good for the price. No mention of Heat Sinks though, so I assume they aren't included. Just noticed there's heatsinks present in a picture down in the body of the listing.

Price is listed at 109.99 OBO + Shipping, but seller recently sent me a "special discount" price of $93.49, so they're willing to come down some.

For me, shipping came out to $30 and I'm on the other side of the country (they're in New Jersey, I'm in California). Post says they ship to US only.

Other details/specs at the Ebay link:

Gigabyte R180-F34 1U Server w/ MD90-FS0 Sys Bd/No CPU/No Mem/No HDD

Last edited:

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
It seems the seller has dropped prices 15% across the board - I also got similar offers on some other items from him today.

Reactions: Markess and Samir

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
In the original post, I mentioned that they didn't list heatsinks, so I assumed that they weren't included. But, I just noticed there's heatsinks present in a picture down in the body of the listing. I've added that to the OP.

Reactions: Samir

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
as long as you're okay with the huge 1U case and the proprietary form factor on the board it seems like an great value (heck, for the power supplies alone).

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
as long as you're okay with the huge 1U case and the proprietary form factor on the board it seems like an great value (heck, for the power supplies alone).
Oh, I thought it's EATX mobo. With prop mobo I'd skip it.

Erlipton

Jul 1, 2016
awfully tempting. glad I have some R430's that I cant find a use for... otherwise I probably would have bit the bullet

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I do not have any spare DDR4 RDIMMs so the very first thing I tried to find out was whether this system supports those cheap 3DS modules. No official word from Gigabyte but at least one reseller seems to think so. Back in 2015 STH has reviewed a system based on the same MD90-FS0 motherboard. If that system is still around can we ask @Patrick to try those modules in it?

I'm intrigued. I don't really know anything about that type of memory, but Gigabyte's product page for the motherboard says "3DS LRDIMM modules up to 128GB supported" MD90-FS0 (rev. 1.1) | Server Motherboard - GIGABYTE U.S.A. . Is that the same thing, or are there multiple sub-types for this RAM?

Last edited:

int0x2e

Dec 9, 2015
Whats the difference between 3DS and regular RDIMMs?
3DS/TSV is a new-ish type of high-capacity dimm, where instead of using buffers like an LRDIMM, they stack two or more memory dies in the same package.
As long as the memory controller knows how to drive them (Xeon E5v3 and up, but only after the bios has been updated to support E5v4 so the microcode update is applied), they should be as good if not better than regular LRDIMMs, but they usually act as if you are putting 2DPC not 1DPC.

More info in this thread:

Nickb

May 15, 2020
Reactions: Bradford and Samir

curley

May 3, 2020
How loud are the power supplies in this thing? Any comparison to the SM SQ series?
I don't have a SM SQ series to compare it to. I just received cpu/memory to power mine on yesterday and after the BIOS and BMC were updated, I was able to use the PWM offset setting under utilities in the BMC to slow the fans. Currently most fans are running either 2k or 3k rpms.

The BMC spins up the fans on CPU demand fairly quickly, but at idle it is a bit louder than a desktop machine. Much easier to deal with than the 2U quanta machine that I had to do a fan swap on.

On another note, one of my DDR4 memory sticks were faulty and caused the server not to post and stopped at B7 on the chipset initialization screen with no other error message. Once I had that under control and updated the BIOS the server actually specifies the stick and location that failed.

Nickb

May 15, 2020
I'm intrigued. I don't really know anything about that type of memory, but Gigabyte's product page for the motherboard says "3DS LRDIMM modules up to 128GB supported" MD90-FS0 (rev. 1.1) | Server Motherboard - GIGABYTE U.S.A. . Is that the same thing, or are there multiple sub-types for this RAM?
FYI, from the ebay pics it looks like this motherboard is revision 1.0. I looked through the Penguin docs that Frank posted above, but it doesn't specify v4 cpu support or 3DS memory support. Maybe this is only in the v1.1 revision?