WD – HGST – STEC 1TB MLC PCIe Solid State Accelerator $75

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I have a few of the STEC 1TB accelerator and they are great for what they are... Fast, tons of endurance but consumed lots of power and run hot constantly with or without load. I have one deployed as my plex cache/scratch drive and a few other as a local esxi storage for when I need to temporary keep my vm while doing maintenance on the zfs box.

Reactions: Samir

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
They definitely predate NVMe (these are from 2012). Performance is going to be about double that of a SATA SSD. Drivers might be an issue on modern Windows systems.

ArthurA

Sep 26, 2018
asdf
I have a few of the STEC 1TB accelerator and they are great for what they are... Fast, tons of endurance but consumed lots of power and run hot constantly with or without load. I have one deployed as my plex cache/scratch drive and a few other as a local esxi storage for when I need to temporary keep my vm while doing maintenance on the zfs box.
Do you have the MLC or SLC variety? Any sustained write bench-marking? For the SLC quoted at 600MB/s I wonder how far that is from reality. At an honest 600MB/s, for slog, you're not leading a used 860 Pro by much and at a glance I didn't see an endurance estimate to compare but given the age I wouldn't be surprised if the Samsung had comparable longevity?

azev

Jan 18, 2013
hmmm after checking the part# in detail's mine is a bit different; S1122E1000M4 based on the spec paper it has 24x DW/D rating and performance is also on the dot. One of them is installed on windows machine, so let me know if you want to see any bench using atto or cdm.

tritron

Jan 15, 2020
I run nas on arch Linux with zfs and the card was plug and play drivers are in kernel and it seems the driver been part of Linux for long time now and support site has linux driver you can compile yourself

Reactions: Yunia and Samir

caelyb

Jan 17, 2020
hmmm after checking the part# in detail's mine is a bit different; S1122E1000M4 based on the spec paper it has 24x DW/D rating and performance is also on the dot. One of them is installed on windows machine, so let me know if you want to see any bench using atto or cdm.
ordered a couple too; any special windows drivers to install or is it plug and play?

Starbomba

May 6, 2020
I would be interested to know if these are bootable. My F40 is nice and definitely faster, but at 400 GB, it has become a limit.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
So according to the HGST datasheet endurance on these is huge: 24 DW/D for 5 Years is 43 Petabytes. I'm thinking the sun will go supernova before I write that much data at home.

But for consumption, the HGST datasheet says "< 25 watts". Which worries me.

Anyone have any real world experience with this? If its that high when working hard, but it idles at a more normal (or at least much lower) power draw that's one thing. But, if it draws significant power all the time, its probably not worth it for me and my use case (no free drive bays, but open PCIE slots on my desktop PC).

Last edited:

tritron

Jan 15, 2020
I use the card inside dell r630 with h200e and run docker with plex emby couch potato and etc, the server had been using 70 watts so the card does not use that much powe.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I use the card inside dell r630 with h200e and run docker with plex emby couch potato and etc, the server had been using 70 watts so the card does not use that much powe.

Thanks. That's good for comparison. Are you running dual processors on your R630?

Dell did a technical white paper on R630 consumption and their dual E5-2620 v3 test machine was pulling 68.5W at idle:

Selection_140.png

tritron

Jan 15, 2020
I have single E5-2640 v3 64 gb ddr4 4 x16 rdims sas 330 dell h200e 400gb sas ssd.I have arch linux runing on it as my nas. It is runing 7 docker containers

Reactions: Samir and Markess