Updated: 01-23-23 -NVMe SSDs!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
Do you have any boards you'd recommend for the 64 CPUs that have PCEI4.0? I can't seem to find any that are actually available for sale. I'd love to build a new WS around a 64 Core epyc - not that I need that many cores but....
I have 2 mb that support pci gen 4 and also have a 7742 retail cpu. The board that I would recommend is the tyan atx single socket. I needed the pci 4 slots for some 100G dual port nics and this board worked perfectly. It is also atx which is nice. I also have a supermicro Rome mb with pci 4 slots. This board is a prorietery ff and am building a custom sff case for it. Let me know if you need any details as I spent a lot of time researching this.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
I have 2 mb that support pci gen 4 and also have a 7742 retail cpu. The board that I would recommend is the tyan atx single socket. I needed the pci 4 slots for some 100G dual port nics and this board worked perfectly. It is also atx which is nice. I also have a supermicro Rome mb with pci 4 slots. This board is a prorietery ff and am building a custom sff case for it. Let me know if you need any details as I spent a lot of time researching this.
Thanks!. Which SM board? Also what RAM are u using? And did u consider threadripper? Cos I am considering a 3970x or least I was until this thread and the prospect of a 64 core EPYC. Only advantage I can see for TR are the boards which have al the creature comforts for a WS - sound, a lots of IO, BT, WiFi. If I go EPYC i'd need a sound card. GPU is a given. And If I need more IO then a add on USB card.

Is this the Tyan ur talking about: S8030GM4NE-2T

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
I have the s8030gm2ne (1GE onboard ports instead of 10G) due to my unique requirements. I build custom servers that act as traffic generators with several dual port 100GE NICs (in the pci 4.0 slots). I needed a server mb for the ilo/ipmi feature which workstation mb usually don't have. I wanted 1G onboard vs the 10G as I wouldn't take advantage of those 10G interfaces. The 10G board also runs much hotter (for my custom sff case design) and was more expensive and harder to get at the time. The supermicro is an H12ssw-in which was chosen due to its small form factor and I am going to build a custom case so the proprietary ff didn't concern me. the issue with the sm mb was that it uses pci riser cards and one of the risers did not support my nic (mellanox 516cdat) at pcie 4.0 speeds. It is a known issue that I am working with sm on trying to resolve. I am using 3200 server ram which functions without issue.

moniker

May 12, 2016
I'd be interested in knowing if the 7502-like cpus can hit all core @ 3.8ghz like the oem 7742. Can these cpus work with above 4g decoding enabled?

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
I'd be interested in knowing if the 7502-like cpus can hit all core @ 3.8ghz like the oem 7742. Can these cpus work with above 4g decoding enabled?
I've had 4g decoding enabled for all the tests so far. AMD cpus run everything in an "envelope" when it comes to speed and often the displayed number has little to do with the actual speed. Hopefully some experts can chime in and give more detail on this process, but that's what I've heard. In other words, the 3.8ghz on the 7742 may be the same as the 3.45ghz on the 7502.

moniker

May 12, 2016
Would you be willing to run single threaded cinebench/maybe some other single threaded benchmarks on both?

Appreciate it!

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
Would you be willing to run single threaded cinebench/maybe some other single threaded benchmarks on both?

Appreciate it!
Have any recommendations for a good single threaded benchmark program? Maybe CPU-Z? Which Cinebench for single threaded?

JCH

Jan 2, 2017
Great guy to work with! Took time out of his busy day to hand deliver me my DIMMs! Packaged well, and they all work great. Thanks! :)

Joqur

Feb 22, 2019
Those 7742 are absolute killers! Congratulations to those who got their hands on some!
@redeamon I'd love some if you stumble across anymore!