Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
Thank you! But then... why bother writing on the datasheet the "wrong" power usage?
Usually in the IT world, those figures are waaayy overestimated; this is the first example of underrating on the DS.

Oh well... ;)
I have never seen a power number for any switch that wasn't based on the DC power draw from the PSU. Top to bottom, soup-to-nuts, they ALL measure DC power draw in their specs, not wall power draw - if only because that number can be impacted by factors out of their control.

bubsterboo

Dec 15, 2019
I bought a 6430-C12p. I know it's not one of the suggested models, And I know it doesn't have L3 or 10gig. Just needed a cheap passive 1gig switch.
Does anyone know where I can find the latest firmware I should load on it?

Last edited:

aidenpryde

Apr 30, 2020
Can you connect servers and workstations to the 10Gbe Uplink ports? ie, do they otherwise operate as standard ports like the rest of the 1Gbe ports on these switches?

Thanks!

bubsterboo

Dec 15, 2019
Can you connect servers and workstations to the 10Gbe Uplink ports? ie, do they otherwise operate as standard ports like the rest of the 1Gbe ports on these switches?

Thanks!
Yes. I have a 6450 24p with a NAS and Workstation connected via 10Gbe.

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
I bought a 6430-C12p. I know it's not one of the suggested models, And I know it doesn't have L3 or 10gig. Just needed a cheap passive 1gig switch.
Does anyone know where I can find the latest firmware I should load on it?
Ruckus ICX FastIron 08.0.30u Software Release (.zip) | Software Downloads | Ruckus Wireless Support

Or, if you prefer a slightly older release, you can follow the guide on the first page; it should be the same as the ICX6430-24, but please read the release notes of the firmware to confirm it's adequate for your model.

Reactions: bubsterboo

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
I take it, that both devices show up on the same VLAN?
The "uplink" ports can be configured exactly as the other ports... those are tagged "uplink" because of their higher speed and, in other models, because they can run at line rate in a backplane that doesn't support the full speed of all ports (usually on cheaper/older switches).

aidenpryde

Apr 30, 2020
The "uplink" ports can be configured exactly as the other ports... those are tagged "uplink" because of their higher speed and, in other models, because they can run at line rate in a backplane that doesn't support the full speed of all ports (usually on cheaper/older switches).
I too am interested in the same Brocade ICX6450 you have. Can the Brocade ICX6450 do full speed over the 10gbps ports, assuming the 1gbe ports aren't being hammered?

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
I too am interested in the same Brocade ICX6450 you have. Can the Brocade ICX6450 do full speed over the 10gbps ports, assuming the 1gbe ports aren't being hammered?
Those switches are non blocking, it means that all the ports can be saturated with traffic, and it can even route at line speed no problems. I am not 100% sure on the -48 because internally there are two switching ASICs linked toghether... I've read about it some months ago, but I can't find at the moment the image I remember. Still, on the datasheet, it is labeled as "non blocking", so no throughput concerns. ;)

aidenpryde

Apr 30, 2020
Those switches are non blocking, it means that all the ports can be saturated with traffic, and it can even route at line speed no problems. I am not 100% sure on the -48 because internally there are two switching ASICs linked toghether... I've read about it some months ago, but I can't find at the moment the image I remember. Still, on the datasheet, it is labeled as "non blocking", so no throughput concerns. ;)
Sorry for all the questions, but you've been very helpful and thanks.

Does your Brocade support link aggregation?

How is the web interface? I don't know much about CLI, but I could learn if I had a written guide.

bbqdt

Sep 15, 2019

How is the web interface? I don't know much about CLI, but I could learn if I had a written guide.
All the switches in the op support pretty much all managed switch features you can think of, including various versions of link aggregation.

Web UI is straight out of the 90s, and can only manage the basics of most features, but is functional. You will need to use the CLI to enable the web UI. See the tutorials in the OP.

aidenpryde

Apr 30, 2020
All the switches in the op support pretty much all managed switch features you can think of, including various versions of link aggregation.

Web UI is straight out of the 90s, and can only manage the basics of most features, but is functional. You will need to use the CLI to enable the web UI. See the tutorials in the OP.
Okay! Thanks!

blinkenlights

May 24, 2019

It's worthwhile learning the CLI - if you have ever seen Cisco or Juniper-ese, the Brocade dialect is pretty easy to pick up. Below is an example taken from the current config on my 7450-48 with three of the 4x10GbE modules:

lag NAS dynamic id 1
ports ethe 1/2/1 ethe 1/2/3
port-name "File server LAN (cxl0)" ethernet 1/2/1
port-name "File server LAN (cxl1)" ethernet 1/2/3

Just a note - I discovered through trial and error that the Synology E10G18-T2 (Qlogic 2x10GbE) card I had in the server did not agree on link aggregation with the Brocade. I ended up swapping in a quad-port Chelsio T5 and all is well. I was impressed by the Synology card otherwise... good performer and stable.

aidenpryde

Apr 30, 2020
It's worthwhile learning the CLI - if you have ever seen Cisco or Juniper-ese, the Brocade dialect is pretty easy to pick up. Below is an example taken from the current config on my 7450-48 with three of the 4x10GbE modules:

lag NAS dynamic id 1
ports ethe 1/2/1 ethe 1/2/3
port-name "File server LAN (cxl0)" ethernet 1/2/1
port-name "File server LAN (cxl1)" ethernet 1/2/3

Just a note - I discovered through trial and error that the Synology E10G18-T2 (Qlogic 2x10GbE) card I had in the server did not agree on link aggregation with the Brocade. I ended up swapping in a quad-port Chelsio T5 and all is well. I was impressed by the Synology card otherwise... good performer and stable.
I'll have to do some CLI stuff just to turn on https and the web interface anyway. I want to do some basic stuff with the switch such as VLAN port assignment and link aggregation up to the firewall maybe. I'm sure the web interface can handle that.

As for NICs, I'll probably stick with the Intel cards.

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019

No worries! Sorry for the delay.
Yes, as bbqdt said, those switches support LAG; and (I know, I'll be throwing gas on fire saying those words) the configuration of the port aggregation makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the Cisco way... At least, I like it more.

I don't know much about the web interface, sorry... I think I've disabled it pretty much the first day, I didn't even use it once... The enterprise way (TM) is CLI... basicly, it's the only thing that you have available on a serial link when the network goes down. ;)
The manual are very well written, and you can find many example even on video tutorials on line, and it really helps to understand how those devices work, should you have to configure or look at some other enterprise gear. ;)

Reactions: fohdeesha

aidenpryde

Apr 30, 2020
Sorry, one last question: If I purchase one of these from Ebay, and the seller says that it is fully licensed; if it is, and if I reset the switch to factory or otherwise upgrade the firmware, does the license remain unlocked so that all the 10Gbe ports are active?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
the factory reset command in my guide shouldn't delete licenses, but a few users reported that it did. If it does, just PM me and I can send you new licenses. on that note I wouldn't pay the extra cost of getting a switch pre licensed in the first place, just PM me

Reactions: tommybackeast

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
Can you run both an I and an E power supply at the same time? I'd like to switch from I to E, not sure if the switch will allow that for 30 seconds while I swap them. @fohdeesha Do you know?

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
Can you run both an I and an E power supply at the same time? I'd like to switch from I to E, not sure if the switch will allow that for 30 seconds while I swap them. @fohdeesha Do you know?
I don't think that it allows this configuration... do you have strict uptime requirements? Otherwise, maybe it's wiser to just power it down and back up with the other supply...