(Solved)Wake on lan unraid server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sinistercalling

Apr 17, 2020
I am currently using a unraid server with a pfsense VM to provide internet to my network following spaceinvaderone's pfsense tutorials ive managed to get everything working splendidly except for one last piece to my puzzle. I also have a pfsense bare metal install which have built the box for times that i need to restart or take down the array for things like needing to add new drives or adding some additional thing i am interested in, during the tutorials he mentions being able to use a user script to wake up the bare metal box when he takes down the array and power it down when he starts up the array and the way it was explained it just takes over the router duties i have tried my best to duplicate this process but for me without any scripts the neither the VM or bare metal gets an IP address unless i physically restart the modem why is this?. I have the modem connected to a dumb switch and 2 ethernet cables running to bare metal box and server with pfsense VM why doesn't modem automatically give the router thats powered on an IP address ?

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
I would just use the bare metal box for your router. I did a similar setup with hyperv and while it worked well. The issue I had was just like you are making a contingency for. Bare metal for when I needed to do maintenance on my server.

Chris

Reactions: Sinistercalling

Sinistercalling

Apr 17, 2020
I would just use the bare metal box for your router. I did a similar setup with hyperv and while it worked well. The issue I had was just like you are making a contingency for. Bare metal for when I needed to do maintenance on my server.

Chris
I get what you are saying but i would prefer to only have 1 machine on at a time as this cuts down on energy cost's and secondly i dont want to have to go and power on second box and then unplug and replug the modem every time i take it down