Quanta 2U D51B: LGA2011-3, 24 x 2.5" Trays, 10 GbE, Rails $250 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sean B

Apr 4, 2020
One of my rails seems to be missing a screw on the front that slots into the square hole on the rack post. Does anyone know what this sort of screw is called (see attachment) so I can find a replacement?
Ugh, it's all moot anyway. The rails they sent with the servers will not fit. The standoff pegs on the side of the server don't match up with the slots in the inner rails no matter which orientation... *sigh*

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Ugh, it's all moot anyway. The rails they sent with the servers will not fit. The standoff pegs on the side of the server don't match up with the slots in the inner rails no matter which orientation... *sigh*
Well that sucks. Hopefully they'll make it right.

I have to say that the rails that came with mine are way better than Supermicro rails. No screws required. Not even the inner rails.

YuanyangX

May 17, 2019
WA, USA
My package just arrived. It comes with SAS3108 mezz with BBU and bracket, and without no rear HDD cage.
Everything seems in good status. Except one PSU's handle was bend a little during transporting, which is fine. I'm feeling lucky that both ears are not broken.

The rails are not match with case. :(
Few trays have no springs. Some others have broken springs.:(

I attached some detailed photos if anyone is interested with inside.

Attachments

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Seems that this deal is like a box of chocolates, everybody gets something different.

Reactions: itronin

lcars

Apr 8, 2020
Fritz and mmo, thank you for your advice, which for sure opened a lot of other options for me. I've ordered an h310, and tried to get one of the Quanta servers mentioned in this thread I had been looking at, but ended up needing to keep looking anyway for a different reason (having to do with the merchant.)

Anyway, long story short I have a Dell Poweredge R710 on its way to me now :)

Appreciate the help.

YuanyangX

May 17, 2019
WA, USA
Fritz and mmo, thank you for your advice, which for sure opened a lot of other options for me. I've ordered an h310, and tried to get one of the Quanta servers mentioned in this thread I had been looking at, but ended up needing to keep looking anyway for a different reason (having to do with the merchant.)

Anyway, long story short I have a Dell Poweredge R710 on its way to me now :)

Appreciate the help.
Dell and HP(E) servers have way more better "support" from markets when you need to find some parts. I hesitated for a while before I ordered this quanta barebone.

Reactions: lcars

YuanyangX

May 17, 2019
WA, USA
Your post made me go check on mine to see if all my trays had springs... fortunately ok. thanks for posting all the photos.
I'm glad that I shared something useful for people.
Although having bad springs, or not have springs at all, those trays can still hold disks well.
Also I'm happy with overall conditions and configurations of my order, especially it comes with 2x10G copper ports no mention extra 2xSFP cages. Just I wish it would have rear disk cage...

YuanyangX

May 17, 2019
WA, USA
One of my rails seems to be missing a screw on the front that slots into the square hole on the rack post. Does anyone know what this sort of screw is called (see attachment) so I can find a replacement?
It looks like I got exactly same rails as yours, which doesn't match server. And I'm kind of sure those are for D51B-1U. I will try to contact seller to see do they have solution for the rails.

iriscloud

SADTech
Jan 13, 2015
ID, USA
It looks like I got exactly same rails as yours, which doesn't match server. And I'm kind of sure those are for D51B-1U. I will try to contact seller to see do they have solution for the rails.
Same issue here. I got two of these servers and both have the same set of rails, neither match the pegs on the server!

Also i haven't used rails like this, do the ends of the rails go on the outside or sit on the inside of the rack with all the weight of the server resting on the screws? I would think they go on the outside but then they have no way to secure\attach to the posts unless you have a nut or something that's supposed to go on the inner side.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
This probably not the case but when I went to install my rails the pegs didn't line up. I flipped them front to back and then they did. Just thought I'd mention it.

iriscloud

SADTech
Jan 13, 2015
ID, USA
Same issue here. I got two of these servers and both have the same set of rails, neither match the pegs on the server!

Also i haven't used rails like this, do the ends of the rails go on the outside or sit on the inside of the rack with all the weight of the server resting on the screws? I would think they go on the outside but then they have no way to secure\attach to the posts unless you have a nut or something that's supposed to go on the inner side.
They were quick to respond on ebay and are working to send the correct rails. Here's the response i got.

Thank you for the heads up. The Quanta manager is working from home so I am trying to locate the proper rails. It may take a bit working with the warehouse locating the correct rails but we will get them to you as soon as possible.

Sorry about that!

YuanyangX

May 17, 2019
WA, USA
They were quick to respond on ebay and are working to send the correct rails. Here's the response i got.
Received similar reply from seller too:
New message from: core4solutions
Sorry about that! Another customer just pointed it out to us as well so I think the warehouse was grabbing the incorrect set of rails. I am working with the warehouse to get the correct set of rails sent out to you ASAP.
Thanks!
Waiting for the rails now.;)

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
OMG.. now you guys are making me wonder if I got the correct rails... short of racking them, anyone have photos of the incorrect vs correct one? I won't be racking mine for a while...

YuanyangX

May 17, 2019
WA, USA
OMG.. now you guys are making me wonder if I got the correct rails... short of racking them, anyone have photos of the incorrect vs correct one? I won't be racking mine for a while...
I found a string match here. That's why I believe my rails are for 1U model.
incorrect.jpg

Reactions: BLinux

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
@YuanyangX Thanks for that photo. I guess I got stupid lucky with mine... my rails are made by Kingslide, and at least the inner rails appear to fit the server chassis so I think they are good. So far, I haven't had any issues... no bent rack ears, no missing springs in the trays, etc... about the only issue is the hard to find SAS3008 mezz card bracket, but that wasn't expected to be included.

Sean B

Apr 4, 2020
Yeah, I definitely got the 1U rails made by King Slide. Part number on sticker matches the FRU part list. I sent them a masterpiece drawing showing the difference in the rails (attached).

Attachments

YuanyangX

May 17, 2019
WA, USA
So far the server itself is good. I put 2x 2620-v3 together with 4x16GB into it. Updated the firmware of BMC, BIOS, Raid card, and expander to latest versions I could find.
Now it's time to dig disks out of my boxes while waiting for rails. ;)