Dual port 10GbE PCIe cards for $88 OBO, free ship

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Last edited:

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Seems someone has them for US$69 here.

Do you need any other additions to use them or just the relevent cables ?. What is compatibility like with ESXi, Windows, Solaris and Linux ?. Are they IPoIB or just standard 10GbE (have not really looked at the EN cards) ?.

Kinda hard not to upgrade at these prices.

Thanks
RB

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA

Do you need any other additions to use them or just the relevent cables ?. What is compatibility like with ESXi, Windows, Solaris and Linux ?. Are they IPoIB or just standard 10GbE (have not really looked at the EN cards) ?.

Thanks
RB
$69 is even better. They are Ethernet only cards, not IB cards, though I suspect that they use the same VPI chip as the IB cards, but with firmware that limits them to Ethernet. I have used that generation of Mellanox chips with Windows, VMWare, and Linux with no problems. I also used them with Solaris, but only a bit.

rum1k

Jan 10, 2014

Thanks
RB
They did not fully support Priority Flow Control (PFC) in Windows 2012.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Somewhat to that point, are these better compatibility wise even if just ConnectX-EN not ConnectX-2?

abstractalgebra

Dec 3, 2013
MA, USA
Sweet deal I just put an offer 2 x $49, (edit accepted). Is any copper sfp+ cable ok for a PC to Server direct connect? The recommended Mellanox cable for 3m is MC3309130-003 @ ~$64

I'm new to ESXI and am concerned its not on the HCL I can find so is it easy to get a driver module for ESXI 5.5?
All I found is this mention for v4.x for the IBM clone part: http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/detail.php?deviceCategory=io&productid=20819&vcl=true Then that links to the mfg website which seams to indicate it works for ESXI 5.x here. Does this mean ESXI 5.5 is no problem?

The user manual wants 200 LFM of air flow. In a tower chassis is a common 120mm 69 CFM fan directed at the card ok ~6" away or do I need a much higher volume fan with ducting? Many I'm sure are doing this in a 1-2u rack or a server with a fan wall so its easier :)

Last edited:

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
FYI deff make offers with this seller. Was able to get one of the low profile version of this card that that had up for 170$ for 60$

Btw does anyone know where I might be able to pick up some optical SR transceivers for these at a decent price? I already have a bunch of fiber cables laying around so figured I might as well go fiber if I can get the transceivers cheap enough to make sense

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Stick to DAC cables if possible! 10gbase-SR transmitters are not cheap unless sold with the cards!

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
If someone puts make an offer, I just ignore the buy it now button, other than using it as a guideline for the offer ;)

The sellers benefit too though esp if they can unload an entire lot w/ less hassle, moving inventory is sometimes more important than having something sit for a month and get dinged listing fees with no sale.

If you are bored and have time to kill waiting for a server to image or similar crap, line up a couple hundred auctions of things you might want and lowball the crap out of them. Eventually someone bites :)

Last edited:

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Always! I picked up tons of intel-chipset dual SFP+ (optics included) for $99-129 each by lowballing! You'd be surprised at how many folks don't get how much the 10gbase-SR optics are worth, they just want to ditch the whole card as one auction item and by hunting down deals you can lowball and win now and then ;)

10gbe has always been cheap in that respect, nobody wants CNA's - they don't understand what an FCoE/ISCSI/CNA is, but at the end of the day if you disable the FCoE/ISCSI options, you are left with a quite nice emulex be2 nic that is very powerful and stable in all o/s, for $75 (used average). If you are really lucky you'll get them with dual 10gbase-SR optics for another $50 $125 total which is a steal of the century given how much optics cost!

How I picked up two dozen dac cables for $100 :) brand new ;)

abstractalgebra

Dec 3, 2013
MA, USA
Sweet deal I just put an offer 2 x $49, (edit accepted). Is any copper sfp+ cable ok for a PC to Server direct connect? The recommended Mellanox cable for 3m is MC3309130-003 @ ~$64

I'm new to ESXI and am concerned its not on the HCL I can find so is it easy to get a driver module for ESXI 5.5?
Mellanox MNPH29C-XTR ConnectX-2 EN

FYI if others had the same question, yes for me a standard cheap EBay SFP+ cable worked fine for direct Server to PC connection. ESXI 5.5 had drivers built-in for the card and Windows 8 does work with a driver download. Hint for Windows 8 go to the mfg website and get the older v4.4 driver for server 2012 (not R2).

Last edited:

nickmade

Mar 8, 2011
I picked up couple cards to try 10g speed and so far everything are working thanks to this post. Only thing I cannot confirm is if RDMA working on them. Anyone know if RDMA supported with this model?