Supermicro(s) post hangs on code 42

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Diavuno

Hello!

A while back Supermicro started making THE product, you know the one the just worked for my needs and hit the budget just right.
I got one for my home PFsense, built up a few nodes for my home/lab. (1+3)
In fact, I loved them so much...
I setup a bunch in my business for PFsense and a little setup for testing(2+4)
More PFsense in my Colos(2x2).
Now I have a bunch of SYS-5018A-TN4 and SYS-5018A-FTN4 with very similar but different A1SAi-2750F and A1SRi-2758F (Avaton and Rangley 8 core mini ITX)

Yesterday I found my home lab VMware had thrown a purple screen.... went to reboot and it hung at code 42... but this is not the first one to drop out and hang there.
Ive swapped around RAM (tried several sticks some from Supermicros HCL) pulled our the SSD and done all of the other basic troubleshooting.

Now this has happend to a few of the Rangley boards, is it something that can be fixed or resolved?
I recall reading about an issue with the Avaton boards, but all of my Avatons have been fine....

Hrast

Oct 5, 2013
My SYS-5018A-FTN4 was fine too for a long time. And then in February it wasn't. I got the same hung at POST (I think my code was different). I opened a case with Supermicro and ending up getting the board replaced (even with advanced replacement). I'd contact Supermicro with a list of the serial numbers of any C2000 based systems (denoting which ones are already failed), and let them tell you if they're affected. I had purchased my system used via eBay and it was out of warranty already. Supermicro doesn't really have to fight about these, the cost for this whole debacle is being shouldered by Intel.

Reactions: Diavuno

Diavuno

My SYS-5018A-FTN4 was fine too for a long time. And then in February it wasn't. I got the same hung at POST (I think my code was different). I opened a case with Supermicro and ending up getting the board replaced (even with advanced replacement). I'd contact Supermicro with a list of the serial numbers of any C2000 based systems (denoting which ones are already failed), and let them tell you if they're affected. I had purchased my system used via eBay and it was out of warranty already. Supermicro doesn't really have to fight about these, the cost for this whole debacle is being shouldered by Intel.

I dont remember where the RMA's go...

but my girlfriend lives 10 minutes from super micro HQ.... time to get this fixed up!