cheap used or new ssd at least 120GB

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016

snclawson

Feb 7, 2013
Interesting how they sold out...

One guy buy bought 88 of them and another bought 98... And three other people bought one.

Reactions: Samir

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Interesting how they sold out...

One guy buy bought 88 of them and another bought 98... And three other people bought one.
The two that bought 88+ knew a good deal for their facility when they see one to equip all their WS with ssd? lol..

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
what makes you say that?
Too perfect looking, like they were not used at all. Plus a large batch of them. I can understand a few in this condition (open box new), but this seem like a bulk buy gone wrong or a cheap china dump to generate some fast cash.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Dang I was just at staples earlier today! And I was even looking at the drive section. :(

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Dang I was just at staples earlier today! And I was even looking at the drive section. :(
Use the brickseek site and check the inventory and also grab the sku number. i would also call them up to check the sku numbers of the three nearest stores.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Use the brickseek site and check the inventory and also grab the sku number. i would also call them up to check the sku numbers of the three nearest stores.
Store is literally 5 mins away so I could just go by, lol. It would have just been neat to see what they had there on sale when I was there. I actually have a small box of smaller ssds I got from here a while back so I'm good in that dept. :D

snclawson

Feb 7, 2013
The two that bought 88+ knew a good deal for their facility when they see one to equip all their WS with ssd? lol..
Or two people who saw a good deal and bought most of them to resell. Or rather, it was just one guy that bought nearly all of them in two transactions. I suppose it's entirely possible they were buying for business use and I'm just being grumpy though.

Last edited:

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
just won a bid for five used 120GB Toshiba HDTS512 for $66 shipped. Seems like decent specs. I wish i could get a 120gb used one for $10 shipped i saw once a while but i guess this is the closest for now...Will see what they look like on HD sentinel once i get them. Manufacture date is july 2015

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Got the drives. They show up with some wacky info "Phison 2MB ssd" in bios instead of "toshiba 120gb". somehow the serial number shown in bios match the s/n on the label.

On one computer bios detects the drive as described above. But then window won't even load while that drive is connected. (window is boot from another drive). as soon as i disconnect that drive, the computer loads windows fine.

On another computer, the bios didn't even detect the drive at all. and windows won't even load.

So what does everyone think? fake drives? or the drives are somehow defective so now it's showing some sort of weird background info? i mean why does the serial even match? if this is fake why would someone try to even fake the label and serial number info to show correctly in bios?

DSCN3491a.JPG DSCN3493a.jpg

Last edited:

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I don't know about the size discrepancy but Phison SSD S10 is the actual SSD controller managing the drive.

Clearly 2.06MB is not good though. Can you install it in a working system and pull smart?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
That looks like the firmware is borked. You are seeing the drive in "failsafe" mode - basically a form of bootloader for firmware updates.

You MIGHT (YMMV) be able to recover it using the Toshiba SSD utility IF you can locate the appropriate firmware for that drive...

Loading site please wait... <<- thats the link to the update utility. Don't know why its showing up that way! :)

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I don't know about the size discrepancy but Phison SSD S10 is the actual SSD controller managing the drive.

Clearly 2.06MB is not good though. Can you install it in a working system and pull smart?
have not been able to get into windows on two computers whenever the drive is connected.

That looks like the firmware is borked. You are seeing the drive in "failsafe" mode - basically a form of bootloader for firmware updates.

You MIGHT (YMMV) be able to recover it using the Toshiba SSD utility IF you can locate the appropriate firmware for that drive...

Loading site please wait... <<- thats the link to the update utility. Don't know why its showing up that way! :)
;( why would the firmware borked? and how do i find the firmware for it to download and then transfer to the drive? only one computer even detect it in the bios and the other one didn't even see it in bios. both computers wont load up windows when one of these drive is connected ;(

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I have a winsdows 7 system refuse to boot with a usb drive attached (even when it wasn't booting off of it), but would boot fine without it attached so there also could just be some weirdness with multiple drives.

Worse case, you should be able to contact the seller about the drives if they're not working right.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
have not been able to get into windows on two computers whenever the drive is connected.
;( why would the firmware borked? and how do i find the firmware for it to download and then transfer to the drive? only one computer even detect it in the bios and the other one didn't even see it in bios. both computers wont load up windows when one of these drive is connected ;(
Toshiba have a version of the utility that will create a bootable usb drive (see the link from @PigLover ). That version might work, as it doesn't rely on Windows or a windows boot loader. For maximum compatibility and chance of success, you may wish to turn off fast boot and safe boot in BIOS/UEFI (if they are on) when you use the utility. You can turn them back on afterwards. Depending on what's wrong with the drives, the Toshiba utility may be able to detect and/or fix the drive that BIOS doesn't see. If the utility recognizes the drive(s) as models it supports, it should pull the right firmware for you. Of course, if the drive is OEM, the utility may not have a compatible firmware.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
toshiba utility didn't detect the drive at all. guess that's meant its hopeless. oh well, getting the money back from seller but now i have to keep on finding.... that was pretty decent at $13/each shipped.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
The only thing i still wonder is why or how do you have 5 of these identical items in the identical state of malfunction... Are these all maybe from someone who has access to defective return to manufacturer stuffs and just trying to make some quick cash? It doesn't make sense someone would have 5 identical items with identical defect. You would've need to buy a HUGE number of these from the stores or retailer to come up with 5 drives with the same identical defect. I think you might be better chance winning lottery? lol,...

I am thinking this is not just random chances....

Last edited: