Affordable 10GbE+ for point to point between two VMware hosts ($100)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Alfa147x

Feb 7, 2014
I'm looking for options to connect two VMware ESXi, 6.7.0 machines with the most out of the box compatibility with the host systems.

I am considering a Chelsio T520 for 10Gbe but would like to explore any higher throughput options for TCP/IP and vMotion for the same price ($50-100 per card) while avoiding the purchase of a 10 Gbe switch.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Chelsio is still pretty pricey isn't it? between 80 and 100 or so for SFP+ plus the cable cost? - whoops sorry I see your budget is $200 total... hmmm

Would a lot less work?

If you are okay with doing some firmware updates then your cheapest option above 10gbe is probably a pair of MCX354A-QCBT (search 649281-B21) - you'll have to flash the card to make it a MCX354A-FCBT but at $35.00 or so a card for dual 40Gbe and both tall and short brackets... seems like a no brainer.

netapp QSFP cables work just fine so figure your length and order the right one. Range seems to be between $8.00 (2m) and up depending on length.

Assuming short length you can do 2 cards, and a 2m cable for about $78.00 total or thereabouts depending on whether free ship or not.

I used these cards in a pair of ESXI 6.7 systems connected to an ICX6610 (so not back to back) and they worked great as did the netapp cables.
the flash was easy. I've since moved them to my FreeNAS boxes and put in Mellanox Connectx-312A - a little cheaper than your Chelsio's.

Last edited:

Alfa147x

Feb 7, 2014
Perfect. Thanks for the concise summary!

Any concerns with running two MCX354A-FCBT without a switch in the middle?

Alfa147x

Feb 7, 2014
Hey, I got the NICs and they're great plug and play no issues.

Vmware question. I want to use this for both TCP/IP and Vmotion. I created a new vSwitch on both hosts and added the port 1 from each NIC. What provides DHCP?

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
for vMotion my suggestion is to use static IP's for each vmk interface, obviously in the same subnet.
You can set up a guest that sits on the vswitch if you want it to hand out IP's. I'd recommend linux of freebsd with isc-dhcpd or windows server with the DHCP role installed if you want it GUI.
How many guests on each ESXI box are you talking about? If it is a handful you might just want to static everything.
You can overlay subnets on the same physical interconnect too to keep your network addressing separate.
You can try vlans on back to back connections and I don't see why it wouldn't work but I honestly do not know not having tried it.
You may have to enable promiscuous mode in the vSwitches though ...

Alfa147x

Feb 7, 2014
Thanks @itronin - Another question. If I go down that route can I use the same vSwitches for a vmnetwork so my VMs can use the 40 Gbe line for communication between without hitting my slower 1gbe physical switch?

Basically the topology is where I have one vmhost as my storage server and the 2nd vmhost where all my compute VMs live. vMotion isn't really that important but high throughput between vm1 on host1 and vm1 on host2 is what I'm looking for.

Thanks again

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
port groups and vswitches...

per vmhost
vm guests<->port-groups<->vswitches<->physical nics
vmks<->vswitches<->physical nics

the meta layers in ESXI keep things separate for you. You can do vmotion or not alongside your guests on the same vswitch, but your guests access the vswitch via a port group.

If I understand you correctly your storage server will be a guest on let's say vmhost 1 and your clients will be guests on vmhost2 using your high speed connection(s). I'm gonna guess that you also have 1Gbe connections on each vmhost as well and that is probably connected to a switch/router configuration that has Internet access.

If your storage client guest vms don't need internet then this is relatively straightforward Just assign the virtual nic in each guest to the port group that's connected to your high speed vswitch.

Now, if you do want the guest vms to access things on the 1Gbe network (Internet included) you'll either have to set up a vm to act as a router between your high speed port group and the 1Gbe network so that guest will need (2) nics, one in the 1Gbe port group and one in the high speed port group *or* you can put two nics in each guest and dual home them.

If they are dual homed you reference the storage server from your guests using the IP subnet connected to the high speed port group. that keeps the storage traffic off the 1Gbe network.

If you are using a vm as a router to interconnect your high speed and 1Gbe network then your other guests will always be using the high speed port group and you'll just specify their def gw as the high speed interface on the vm acting as a router.

this is kind of obvious but I'm gonna say it anyway to be clear.
You'll have at least two different subnets, one on your 1gbe network and a different IP subnet on your high speed network. Best practices generally have you a vmotion network in another subnet (and vlan) too... But nothing wrong with one step at a time.

Just out of curiosity what NIC's did you end up purchasing? the 40Gbe? What did you get for a DAC? Did you get NIC's with dual interfaces and 2 DACs? You can team the two NIC's together on the same vswitch if you so choose. Single stream will still be limited to the throughput of a single NIC - but just making sure you realized that.

Alfa147x

Feb 7, 2014
port groups and vswitches...

per vmhost
vm guests<->port-groups<->vswitches<->physical nics
vmks<->vswitches<->physical nics

the meta layers in ESXI keep things separate for you. You can do vmotion or not alongside your guests on the same vswitch, but your guests access the vswitch via a port group.

If I understand you correctly your storage server will be a guest on let's say vmhost 1 and your clients will be guests on vmhost2 using your high speed connection(s). I'm gonna guess that you also have 1Gbe connections on each vmhost as well and that is probably connected to a switch/router configuration that has Internet access.

If your storage client guest vms don't need internet then this is relatively straightforward Just assign the virtual nic in each guest to the port group that's connected to your high speed vswitch.

Now, if you do want the guest vms to access things on the 1Gbe network (Internet included) you'll either have to set up a vm to act as a router between your high speed port group and the 1Gbe network so that guest will need (2) nics, one in the 1Gbe port group and one in the high speed port group *or* you can put two nics in each guest and dual home them.

If they are dual homed you reference the storage server from your guests using the IP subnet connected to the high speed port group. that keeps the storage traffic off the 1Gbe network.

If you are using a vm as a router to interconnect your high speed and 1Gbe network then your other guests will always be using the high speed port group and you'll just specify their def gw as the high speed interface on the vm acting as a router.

this is kind of obvious but I'm gonna say it anyway to be clear.
You'll have at least two different subnets, one on your 1gbe network and a different IP subnet on your high speed network. Best practices generally have you a vmotion network in another subnet (and vlan) too... But nothing wrong with one step at a time.

Just out of curiosity what NIC's did you end up purchasing? the 40Gbe? What did you get for a DAC? Did you get NIC's with dual interfaces and 2 DACs? You can team the two NIC's together on the same vswitch if you so choose. Single stream will still be limited to the throughput of a single NIC - but just making sure you realized that.
Yes, you have all the assumptions correctly. The text in green is exactly what I'm missing.

I hope this helps. I quickly put together a diagram of my home lab.

I was attempting to use a spare 1gbe nic on the general compute host to connect back to the physical switch so the DNS/DHCP server could also issue addresses.

My new plan is to make a vlan (On the vmhost and not on the Sophos fw) and thus a separate subnet with static addressing for any app/vm that wants high-speed communication with the Xpenology VM. I'll have separate NICs on each VM connected to the high-speed vSwitch. I might consider another VM dedicated to DNS/DHCP for just the high-speed switch.

Reactions: itronin

Alfa147x

Feb 7, 2014
Hardware:
  • 2x HP 544QSFP MCX354A-FCBT flashed to Mellanox Firmware
  • NetApp 112-00256 1 meter QSFP SAS Cable

I also bought a pair of fiber QSFP AOC. The NetApp cable is very difficult to cable manage but I have not tested the fiber cables.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I also bought a pair of fiber QSFP AOC. The NetApp cable is very difficult to cable manage but I have not tested the fiber cables.
spiffy drawing!

Yep the QSFP AOC's can be challenging to find on a budget. That's actually what I use (x2) for my storage server. I do have a pair of netapp cables and concur they are unwieldy and hard to manage due to their thickness and shielding. But they do work and are CHEAP!

based on your drawing I'd static IP anything on the high speed network. You should be able to leave the pi where it is and use dhcp-forwarding in your switch to handle dhcp (assuming you are using isc-dhcp on the pi) for any vlans you set up.

Reactions: Alfa147x

Alfa147x

Feb 7, 2014
spiffy drawing!

Yep the QSFP AOC's can be challenging to find on a budget. That's actually what I use (x2) for my storage server. I do have a pair of netapp cables and concur they are unwieldy and hard to manage due to their thickness and shielding. But they do work and are CHEAP!

based on your drawing I'd static IP anything on the high speed network. You should be able to leave the pi where it is and use dhcp-forwarding in your switch to handle dhcp (assuming you are using isc-dhcp on the pi) for any vlans you set up.

Sweet the AOCs work perfectly. Here's a link - I spent $26 for 2.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Sweet the AOCs work perfectly. Here's a link - I spent $26 for 2.
same seller I purchased mine from for the same price. They go in and out of stock. I bought 4 of the last 5 they had last year when I was looking.

IMO its a very good deal at 12.00 a cable for AOC - little higher power usage than the DAC and a little more expensive but as you've pointed out a much easier cable to work with, route etc.!

Alfa147x

Feb 7, 2014
Really odd problem. None of the VMs (on Giulietta) are able to connect to the internet with the two AOCs connected. I'm going to remove the disconnected NICs from the vmswitch and then reconfigure teaming them together.

What type of VMkernel do I need for VSphere NFS traffic? Trying to clone a VM to a NFS share for backup and it's routing NFS traffic over the 1000Mne connection.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Really odd problem. None of the VMs (on Giulietta) are able to connect to the internet with the two AOCs connected. I'm going to remove the disconnected NICs from the vmswitch and then reconfigure teaming them together.

What type of VMkernel do I need for VSphere NFS traffic? Trying to clone a VM to a NFS share for backup and it's routing NFS traffic over the 1000Mne connection.
would need more information on the first question.

On the second. Are you trying to mount the NFS datastore from a guest storage server back to its ESXI host without using a network adapter? Ie you get LIGHTSPEED ... okay not lightspeed but you get in essence ESXI bus speed.

If so it can be done at least on a standalone ESXI host. I have not tried this on a host in an vcenter managed cluster.

It basically goes like this:
Create a vswitch let's call it Private and set the security to accept
Promiscuous mode
MAC address changes
Forged transmits
Create a portgroup for the guest hmm let's call it Private guest and pick a VLAN ID you won't use on your real network. Say 68 in my case and point it at vSwitch Private.
Create another portgroup for the host, call it Private host and use the same VLAN ID as the previous step.
Add a NIC to your guest VM connected to the Private guest port group.
Create a vmk and connect it to the Private host port group.
Oh and of course these private connections need to be IP'ed in the same subnet as each other and it is obviously not the same that you are using anywhere else in your network and could only be routable if you created virtual router on the host that connected your private network to a wired network...

In my example the storage guest is actually serving storage back to the ESXI host to store other guests. Its a bootstrap process. Things get a bit funky during the ESXI host startup its all about the storage guest startup timing and the host then trying to start the guests that reside on the NFS mounted storage from the guest.

warning and danger will robinson.
This is not something I would do in production at least not for those I loved because this is a very META thing to do.

here are some pictures.

.Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 8.42.00 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 8.40.07 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 8.40.37 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 8.39.17 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 8.54.49 PM.png

Reactions: Alfa147x