Xeon D-1541 Quanta storage servers on ebay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

badskater

Automation Architect
May 8, 2013
Canada
I'm just wondering if there's a way to put the 2.5" in front on the SAS expander as well. Would make for a nice VMware vSAN home lab if it's possible. Loved the pictures, thanks.

frsp_1

Apr 13, 2018
New York, NY
I'm just wondering if there's a way to put the 2.5" in front on the SAS expander as well. Would make for a nice VMware vSAN home lab if it's possible. Loved the pictures, thanks.
FWIW, there are four 2.5" bays in the front that are connected to the SAS expander. The two 2.5" slots in the rear are meant to be used as OS disks presumably as they are the only ones not on the SAS expander.

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
FWIW, there are four 2.5" bays in the front that are connected to the SAS expander. The two 2.5" slots in the rear are meant to be used as OS disks presumably as they are the only ones not on the SAS expander.
The specs say the 12 x 3.5 are SAS or SATA, the 4x front are 2.5" SATA, and the rear 2x 2.5" are sata. Where are you seeing the 4x 2.5" front are SAS?

Per this: QuantaGrid SD1Q-1ULH | 1U Storage Server | QCT.io

frsp_1

Apr 13, 2018
New York, NY
The specs say the 12 x 3.5 are SAS or SATA, the 4x front are 2.5" SATA, and the rear 2x 2.5" are sata. Where are you seeing the 4x 2.5" front are SAS?

Per this: QuantaGrid SD1Q-1ULH | 1U Storage Server | QCT.io
I could very well be wrong about that but page 10 of the Users manual says:

"The system features storage drive cage supporting up to 4x 2.5” SAS/SATA HDD/SSD (7mm) on front bottom chassis."

The manual is pretty short on details though so it might be a typo or an error. I'll have to wait for friday to verify that they are actually SAS but I remember the front 2.5" cages being electrically outfitted for SAS at least. It might be moot though as I don't recall there being many 7mm height SAS3 2.5" drives at any rate.

frsp_1

Apr 13, 2018
New York, NY
Does someone have a photo of the motherboard?
I posted photos here:
https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...rage-servers-on-ebay.27910/page-2#post-257736

It's a two-part affair, the CPU board (with BMC, serial, and VGA) and the breakout board that has mezzanine connectors, power, and dual integrated SFP+ ports.

It's actually laid out fairly well in the sales brochure longbowch linked to in this post:
https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...ta-storage-servers-on-ebay.27910/#post-257491

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
Its great if the 2.5" in the front are SAS. But are 7mm SAS drives common? I usually see 12mm.

Detonyle

Mar 11, 2019
I posted photos here:
https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...rage-servers-on-ebay.27910/page-2#post-257736

It's a two-part affair, the CPU board (with BMC, serial, and VGA) and the breakout board that has mezzanine connectors, power, and dual integrated SFP+ ports.

It's actually laid out fairly well in the sales brochure longbowch linked to in this post:
https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...ta-storage-servers-on-ebay.27910/#post-257491
thanks!
Quite difficult to use only the MB

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
i'm really tempted by this machine... a few questions for those more knowledgeable here...

I have a Dell 4210 42U rack that has a hair short of 29" between the front rails to the rear rails (inside the rack). The rack itself has more depth, between the front and rear doors, so that's just rail to rail distance. There's enough space for 39" from front door to rear door. How do these rails mount? will it stick out pass the rear rails? Is it going to fit in my Dell 4210 rack? The dimensions are:

Height 78.7" (1999mm)
Width 23.94" (608mm)
Depth 39.93" (999mm)
Weight 307lbs (170kg)
Max. load 2,000lbs (907kg)

Would also like to hear some opinions from anyone who bought this and have it on hand. How are you liking it so far? pros? cons?

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
So, I ordered a few of these to play with, 2 of the 4 had physical damage and can't be racked, waiting on the vendor for replacement. Shipping box and packaging was fine, so I assume they were damaged when removed and not noticed when they packed them up for shipment.

They came with both mezz slots filled, one with a 2x 10gb sfp and one with a 3008 LSI mezz card. I replaced the LSI mezz with a 3108 series mezz, easy swap.

I was concerned if these would be serviceable (replace a HDD) without shutting them down, and to my surprise, they are! You can pull the front of the system out that has the HDD's in them while the unit is running, which allows you to service/swap HDD's, without taking the unit down or out of service...risky but doable.

The 12x 3.5" are SAS only, the 4x front 2.5" are SATA or SAS, and the rear 2x 2.5" are SATA only. The 3008/3108 LSI raid supports the 12x 3.5" HDD's and the front 4x 2.5" SSD's. The rear 2.5" are NOT supported by the LSI raid mezz. There is a PCH bios setting for these rear slots. Not sure if they are fake raid or what, but I haven't found anywhere to setup raid on the rear 2x 2.5" SSD's yet.

Some pics and a short video showing the system and the ability to "slide out" the 12x 3.5" portion of the server - https://photos.app.goo.gl/ftqiaSWYK3WzXctaA

It looks like these were part of some large CEPH or other distributed storage setup at some large cloud provider, they have labels on them with various StorageX notations, storage127, storage4, etc.

Reactions: BLinux

Schoondoggy

Apr 26, 2017
So, I ordered a few of these to play with, 2 of the 4 had physical damage and can't be racked, waiting on the vendor for replacement. Shipping box and packaging was fine, so I assume they were damaged when removed and not noticed when they packed them up for shipment.

They came with both mezz slots filled, one with a 2x 10gb sfp and one with a 3008 LSI mezz card. I replaced the LSI mezz with a 3108 series mezz, easy swap.

I was concerned if these would be serviceable (replace a HDD) without shutting them down, and to my surprise, they are! You can pull the front of the system out that has the HDD's in them while the unit is running, which allows you to service/swap HDD's, without taking the unit down or out of service...risky but doable.

The 12x 3.5" are SAS only, the 4x front 2.5" are SATA or SAS, and the rear 2x 2.5" are SATA only. The 3008/3108 LSI raid supports the 12x 3.5" HDD's and the front 4x 2.5" SSD's. The rear 2.5" are NOT supported by the LSI raid mezz. There is a PCH bios setting for these rear slots. Not sure if they are fake raid or what, but I haven't found anywhere to setup raid on the rear 2x 2.5" SSD's yet.

Some pics and a short video showing the system and the ability to "slide out" the 12x 3.5" portion of the server - https://photos.app.goo.gl/ftqiaSWYK3WzXctaA

It looks like these were part of some large CEPH or other distributed storage setup at some large cloud provider, they have labels on them with various StorageX notations, storage127, storage4, etc.
This chassis from QCT Quanta is popular with storage providers due to its density per rack 'U'. I work for a system integrator, one of our customers uses this chassis with a different QCT system board. Unfortunately, due to its size and design it does not ship well individually. We ship four nodes, servers, per order, stack and bind them on a pallet. No shipping issues since we started palleting them. The StorageX could be reference to Data Dynamics file management solution:
StorageX – Data Dynamics, Inc

Reactions: tjk

Schoondoggy

Apr 26, 2017
i'm really tempted by this machine... a few questions for those more knowledgeable here...

I have a Dell 4210 42U rack that has a hair short of 29" between the front rails to the rear rails (inside the rack). The rack itself has more depth, between the front and rear doors, so that's just rail to rail distance. There's enough space for 39" from front door to rear door. How do these rails mount? will it stick out pass the rear rails? Is it going to fit in my Dell 4210 rack? The dimensions are:

Height 78.7" (1999mm)
Width 23.94" (608mm)
Depth 39.93" (999mm)
Weight 307lbs (170kg)
Max. load 2,000lbs (907kg)

Would also like to hear some opinions from anyone who bought this and have it on hand. How are you liking it so far? pros? cons?
One of our customers uses this chassis. They have not had any issues with the rack rails mounting and working properly in enterprise racks like the one you mention in your post. They include a cable management arm which has had mounting issues with racks that have limited room between the back rail mount and the back door.

Reactions: Patrick

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
This chassis from QCT Quanta is popular with storage providers due to its density per rack 'U'. I work for a system integrator, one of our customers uses this chassis with a different QCT system board. Unfortunately, due to its size and design it does not ship well individually. We ship four nodes, servers, per order, stack and bind them on a pallet. No shipping issues since we started palleting them. The StorageX could be reference to Data Dynamics file management solution:
StorageX – Data Dynamics, Inc
Do you happen to know of the part # of the BBU that works with the 3108 mezz card? Can't find it on the FRU or datasheet.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
One of our customers uses this chassis. They have not had any issues with the rack rails mounting and working properly in enterprise racks like the one you mention in your post. They include a cable management arm which has had mounting issues with racks that have limited room between the back rail mount and the back door.
Thanks for your insight on the rack mounting. So, you are saying it should fit. Based on the measurements, am I right in assuming it would stick out a few inches pass the rear rails?