California on Lockdown

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
So this is some big news today: Subscribe to read | Financial Times

There is going to be some impact on STH, but we have been working on mitigating that for the past two weeks.

When the Silicon Valley order came down earlier this week we lost access to our photo studio. I pulled all of the lights/ cameras and such that I could.

Life is not easy right now, but certainly making due.

Maybe this is worth a video/ article outside our quarterly Letter from the Editor series.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Maybe I misunderstood what the Governor was saying, but I thought "essential activities" was still okay, but practice social distancing? How come you lost access to the photo studio?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Maybe I misunderstood what the Governor was saying, but I thought "essential activities" was still okay, but practice social distancing? How come you lost access to the photo studio?
Non-essential business.

Clarifying, where it is housed they considered themselves a non-essential business so it is closed and the building has security but is closed otherwise. We have been under this for several days longer than the California mandate.

Last edited:

William

May 7, 2015
The Central Valley is doing ok, it seems strange to see places closed, but many are open still. We are limiting all contact that we can here. I do drive out once in a while to see what's going on. We are stocked up and that should last for a while but I think we are ok.

Be safe everyone !

Reactions: Patrick and Aestr

edge

Apr 22, 2013
I'm in CT, only essential businesses are open. We aren't calling it shelter at home, but that is what it is.

Think months, not weeks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
My county (Placer) had a spike in cases over the last two days, but total cases are low. I live just over the border from Sacramento County though, so we have a lot of people still commuting there for state government and essential commerce & services. Being largely retired, I'm "non-essential" myself, other than helping my high-schoolers with their distance learning. So, I guess this is my chance to knock out all the hardware projects that I've collected the gear for, but never got around to doing.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
Being in the middle of the epicenter (King County, WA), with a new outbreak in a senior center north of us. it is weirdly different to work now.

like costco was limiting the number of people in the store to allow for social distancing. and a cop there to make sure that no one stepped out of line.

we now live in different times.

Chris

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Totally different times and so far I am in a country that has it seeming today (fingers crossed) under control so not nearly as locked down as others. Let’s hope the world gets a handle on it fast.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
I'm sitting/living on an island just ~110 sq miles big with almost 650k people on it. Forget Wikipedia numbers. It has the highest population per sqm in Europe and the disease starts to spread from travelers coming back from Continental Europe. People called for a lock down politicians kept flights etc open. Now we have it. No flight. No ferry. Everything is closed accept pharmacy and grocery shops. People are ordered to stay home. Quarantine people are fined with 10K EUR if they go outside.

But the worst ... My hardware orders won't be delivered when they went through Italy if any package arrives at all. Damn it.

Good luck

Mike

Serverking

The quieter you are, the more you can hear...
Jan 6, 2019
So, I guess this is my chance to knock out all the hardware projects that I've collected the gear for, but never got around to doing.
Make a youtube video.... I think many of us would love to see your hardware projects!

Reactions: ramblinreck47

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Make a youtube video.... I think many of us would love to see your hardware projects!
I think all we'd wind up with is a "Don't make your videos this way" meme cropping up all over social media :confused:

Most of it is/was the usual small stuff. Memory upgrades, moving disks, etc. I put a cable management loom in with the switch. That wasn't entertaining...just tedious, as I had to reroute all the cables and the only speaking parts would have to have been bleeped out. :eek: I don't have that much gear, cable management shouldn't be that hard? Must be operator error.

I have one project that I'm unsure I'm going about the right way (an automated way to bring everything down at night and back up in the morning). So, I'll probably make a separate post about that to ask for recommendations & advice.

Serverking

The quieter you are, the more you can hear...
Jan 6, 2019
I think all we'd wind up with is a "Don't make your videos this way" meme cropping up all over social media
Nope, I'm bored so I need someone to entertain me, can't go out talk to people. Everything is closed.

So I need you or anyone to step up to the plate.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Orange county Fl just went to stay at home lockdown. Disney been closed for a while now. I been getting my wife into playing games on pc with me now lol. Been playing Starbound (not many option for co-op that she is into). I have a starbound server instance running so we can play together in same area. Probably going to see if any other friends what to join.
Im hoping i can get her into sometime like Satisfactory or Space engineers lol.

Outside of the lockdown, we can still go driving around. So plan is to test that out this Sat AM and take the toy (fiat 500 abarth) out for some back road sprinted driving. Hopefully i dont get pulled over.

Then there is the typical house projects, server room cleanup etc to fill in the rest of the time.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Malta I am guessing ?
Correct. I'm super grumpy. I'm already missing 6 packages with paid hardware this. 4 of them are already declared lost and 2 are 'very delayed'. All went through a European parcel center for DHL and TNT in Milano . It's ridiculous. Maybe they use chaos in Italy and steal shipments. I don't know.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
If you're under lockdown law (a whole new thing for the 21st century, tinhat mode flickering), you don't go for a walk in a remote place all alone even... I thought the idea is to prevent people mixing, not how far you walk... but my tinhat says this is the beginning of a new era...

Coronavirus lockdown: Police defend using drone footage to catch hikers

Luckily I have a bit of land I can walk around on so no need to go hiking, but using drones like this? modern policing I guess.

ps. have tonnes of things stuck in the mail system from all corners of the globe, it's going to get a lot worse yet I'm afraid to say.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
If you're under lockdown law (a whole new thing for the 21st century, tinhat mode flickering), you don't go for a walk in a remote place all alone even... I thought the idea is to prevent people mixing, not how far you walk... but my tinhat says this is the beginning of a new era...

Coronavirus lockdown: Police defend using drone footage to catch hikers

Luckily I have a bit of land I can walk around on so no need to go hiking, but using drones like this? modern policing I guess.

ps. have tonnes of things stuck in the mail system from all corners of the globe, it's going to get a lot worse yet I'm afraid to say.
It is a hallmark of government/bureaucratic controls to get stuck on “the rules” and completely miss the reason for the rule...

Sadly, in the UK they have made the rule that you are allowed to walk “from your home” for exercise. Taking a short drive to a good place to exercise is, oddly, not allowed.

In CA I have really enjoyed going to nearby secluded places to walk the trails and enjoy a bit of nature instead of being coupled up. The regional parks district is closing places that become crowded, but leaving open place conducive to solo trekking.

Reactions: Dreece