DEAD: Another HGST 1.6TB SAS3 deal $180 - $140 OBO (in qty)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
DEAD HGST 1.6TB SSD SAS 2.5" 12gbps Hard Drive HUSMM1616ASS204 0B32174

All drives have been sold.

Listing showed up in my search yesterday. Not sure why there's an offer listed from November.
Drive has an EMC part number on it. Probably 520 byte blocks so may need to reformat.

The seller is alex_sari and they've had a couple of deals posted before.

I have no relationship with the seller, I did get in on their E5-2695 firesale so have purchased from them in the past.

Seller accepted $140 OBO without negotiation for drives in quantity. YMMV.

seller ships to outside of the US (eBay listing).

basically the same drive as my last HGST 1.6TB deal post.

Drive spec sheet PDF attached.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: gb00s and Samir

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
any idea if these work in a Dell MD3200/1200 chassis?
No idea, but IIRC from another post you made you require DELL OEM firmware? Gonna go out on a limb since the drive has an EMC P/N and I don't see a DELL P/N on the drive label that the firmware is EMC so the question I really think is do your shelves support EMC firmware in addition to DELL?

Reactions: Samir

Dev_Mgr

Sep 20, 2014
Texas
any idea if these work in a Dell MD3200/1200 chassis?
They won't work in an MD3200 or any MD1200 attached to an MD3200. The MD3200 will only accept Dell Enterprise drives from the parts list in one of the manuals. It looks for Dell certified firmware.

They should work fine in an MD1200 attached to a SAS HBA or SAS Raid controller (e.g. PERC H810), after reformatting to 512.

Reactions: Cybertron and Samir

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
"Probably 520 byte"
Its not an answer
I don't know (yet) and I didn't ask - just jumped in. Drive deals like this tend to have a very limited shelf life so based on the return policy I took a gamble... if there's an issue I lose the shipping cost.

I'm also on the road so my drives will show up and sit for 9 or 10 days till I am back to take a look.

FWIW I'm 99% certain that if these drives came out of EMC systems and have not already been repurposed by some third party then they will be either 520 or 528 byte and need to be reformatted. This has been my experience to date over the last 5 years of re-purposing drives.

I also have NO idea about the health rating of the drives. I'll know when I get them slotted. Then again the endurance rating on these HUSMM drives is pretty excellent. so even something like 30% may well outlast my needs...

Looking at the order history there are 8 drives left in inventory and offers for a total of 42 drives. I'd say Alex_Sari has rightfully gotten picky on the price they'll accept.

The deal is probably dead at this point unless you want to pay the asking price or aren't trying to low ball the heck out of it...

n17ikh

Jul 12, 2019
Anyone know if these will run in dual-port ("wide") mode? My system has a 6Gbps controller but I did find some cheap dual-port cables on the 'bay. Though, looking at the offers.. not sure if mine for 2 at $140 will be accepted.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Got back to my home office last night from 12 days of travel. Just opened up my Drives from Alex_Sari.

I did not receive dual port drives (nor did I expect to based on specs).

To me it doesn't really matter whether they are dual port or single as I removed my second expander daughter card from my SM backplane and am using a single controller.

Drives were rolled in 2 drives bubble wrap bundles with a separator between the two drives. Bundle ends taped and boxed filled with paper padding. Well packaged.

All of the drives I received are 520 byte logical block, 4160 physical block.
of the 9 drives I received 5 had ~3.2TBW the rest had less than 2TBW, all had < 2TB read, about half had verifies equal to the number of writes.
reformat to 512byte logical block was easy peasy.
Drives identify as HUSMM141 EMC1600
Rev C342

Based on the very low volume of writes these are essentially new or very lightly used drives esp. given their endurance specs and the MFG date of the middle of 2016, most in week 25 (or later).

I am very very pleased with this deal.

Reactions: Churchill