please, help convert HGST He10 and He12 to 4kn

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

astrocrab

Feb 27, 2020
Hello!
i'm trying to convert my HGST He10 and He12 sata drives from 512e to 4kn using sg_format utility as others mentioned it should help, but only i got is this:
# sg_format --format --size=4096 /dev/sdc
ATA HGST HUH721010AL W21D peripheral_type: disk [0x0]
Unit serial number: -HIMITSU-
LU name: 5000cca251c0ca2e
Mode Sense (block descriptor) data, prior to changes:
Number of blocks=0 [0x0]
Block size=512 [0x200]
Try MODE SELECT again with SP=0 this time
MODE SELECT command: Illegal request
try '-v' for more information
sg_format failed: Illegal request

any advice?
thank you

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
try adding --six as a parameter and see if that works.

The label on the drive should show either (or both) Advanced Format, 4KN. AFAIK all the HE10 are Advanced Format but you might want to check.

astrocrab

Feb 27, 2020
try adding --six as a parameter and see if that works.

The label on the drive should show either (or both) Advanced Format, 4KN. AFAIK all the HE10 are Advanced Format but you might want to check.
“--six”: same result
and drive itself has “advanced format” label

nickclark

Nov 16, 2017
Uploaded latest version. Got it from WD a few days ago.

It's a shame this is not publicly available and we need to send support tickets. My ticket was answered by WD around 18 days later.

If you are on a Linux distribution not supported, do this

docker run --privileged -v HUGO_DIRECTORY_CONTAINING_PACKAGES/:/HUGO -it ubuntu bash

Then once inside the docker container you can install hugo and run commands based on documentation

To convert HC500 series do this

hugo show
hugo format -s DRIVE_SERIAL -b 4096 --fastformat

However, i am not sure i ve seen any performance improvement after all this effort put on this ...

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
However, i am not sure i ve seen any performance improvement after all this effort put on this ...
To benchmark (you probably won't see any differences in every day uses cases) the differences you would need to use IO with sizes between 512 and 4096 Bytes which is not where HDDs deliver great performance anyway...

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I just got hugo (thank you!) and was reading the documentation about controller compatibility--so you need an sas controller to use it on sata drives, correct?

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
I attempted to use hugo to 4k format a number of shucked 10TB easystores (WD100EMAZ-00WJTA0), but ended up with ATA security locked drives instead. My VM became unresponsive during the process, I had to reset, and a reboot showed the drives to be locked.

Can anybody offer insight as to how to unlock? Or what I might try? I've searched the 'net high and lo and have not been able to find a solution and have tried: to format again in hugo, sg_format, format via WinDFT (HGST's drive fitness test), ATA security erase via PartedMagic, etc.

via Hugo: (1) scan s -l shows ATA security enabled; (2) attempt to format HDD (fails):

(hugo) s -l
Locked Details:

Manuf. Model Serial Interface Capacity Type Firmware
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) HGST WD100EMAZ-00WJTA0 XXXXXXXX SATA 10000 GB HDD 83.H0A83
Locked Reason: ATA security enabled

(hugo) f -s XXXXXXXX
(hugo) s -l
Locked Details:

Manuf. Model Serial Interface Capacity Type Firmware
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) HGST WD100EMAZ-00WJTA0 XXXXXXXX SATA 10000 GB HDD 83.H0A83
Locked Reason: ATA security enabled

XXXXXXXX = serial
via smartctl: HDD also reported as ATA security locked:

C:\Program Files\smartmontools\bin>smartctl -x /dev/sdb
=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family: Western Digital Ultrastar He10/12
Device Model: WDC WD100EMAZ-00WJTA0
Serial Number: XXXXXXXX
ATA Security is: ENABLED, PW level HIGH, **LOCKED** [SEC4]
XXXXXXXX = serial

msg7086

May 2, 2017
Just in case, have you disconnected and reconnected the power to the drive?

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I attempted to use hugo to 4k format a number of shucked 10TB easystores (WD100EMAZ-00WJTA0), but ended up with ATA security locked drives instead. My VM became unresponsive during the process, I had to reset, and a reboot showed the drives to be locked.
Do you have the original enclosures? There was a way to convert them to 4kn using the enclosures and wthe wd formatter utility, but I don't know if they would remain 4kn outside of the enclosures. Nevertheless, it may help you recover the drive from the security lock.