how to use backblaze solomon-reed erasure code ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
That is a lot of HDD.

BackBlaze implementation is that there is a set of 20 servers, and 1 disk from each server is part of a set of 20 disks that the Soloman Reed Erasure encoding is spewed across.

what are you really trying to accomplish?

Chris

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
i am totall noob of coding....my question:

how to use this under windows 10?
This is one of those "if you have to ask - the answer is no" situations.

The main problem has nothing to do with number of disks (or any hardware for that matter).
The main problem is that the code that Backblaze released is not an end user product. It is a Java library to be integrated in your own data storage solutions. It contains data sharding and parity calculation functions only. You need to write the rest of the system (like 99.99% of it) by yourself.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
This is one of those "if you have to ask - the answer is no" situations.

The main problem has nothing to do with number of disks (or any hardware for that matter).
The main problem is that the code that Backblaze released is not an end user product. It is a Java library to be integrated in your own data storage solutions. It contains data sharding and parity calculation functions only. You need to write the rest of the system (like 99.99% of it) by yourself.
ok, clear enough...

That is a lot of HDD.

BackBlaze implementation is that there is a set of 20 servers, and 1 disk from each server is part of a set of 20 disks that the Soloman Reed Erasure encoding is spewed across.

what are you really trying to accomplish?

Chris
data and file protection like Backblaze has (or does), and under Windows....but i got my answers already. i will forget about this

Reactions: Patrick

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
ok, clear enough...

data and file protection like Backblaze has (or does), and under Windows....but i got my answers already. i will forget about this
If you want something like that, you want to setup your own server and run either CEPH or GPFS...

Or fall back to the next best things, ZFS on FreeNAS/etc.