Overclock your AMD Epyc

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
Try to get into the IPMI and check the POST code in "POST Snooping"
to get POST codes is not necessary to have ipmi...just connect your display to vga port. you will then see codes (right corner at the bottom).

i have h11dis board and using vga port. i can see all of POST codes.

but....i think his problem is ES cpu (engenieering samples)

here is a link (7 days available, after 7 days will be deleted) for H11 dsi bios's. i extracted them with the help of supermicro site script. those are my educated guess (using naming convention of supermicro)

H11-DSI-BIOSes.zip

Reactions: LukeAlexJamesSmith

LukeAlexJamesSmith

Jun 29, 2019
to get POST codes is not necessary to have ipmi...just connect your display to vga port. you will then see codes (right corner at the bottom).

i have h11dis board and using vga port. i can see all of POST codes.

but....i think his problem is ES cpu (engenieering samples)

here is a link (7 days available, after 7 days will be deleted) for H11 dsi bios's. i extracted them with the help of supermicro site script. those are my educated guess (using naming convention of supermicro)

H11-DSI-BIOSes.zip
Ah thanks, I have told my friend what to do and he's had to order another soic8 test clip as his one got broken - he said he flashed this chip here?

Not sure if that's the bios chip because it certainly doesn't look like one, I don't think he saved the contents of it either....
Edit: unknown.png (image here because serve the home's upload was playing up)
Also, the board is Rev 1.01 and the seller of the ES Chip said it would be compatible with 1.0c and older.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
Ah thanks, I have told my friend what to do and he's had to order another soic8 test clip as his one got broken - he said he flashed this chip here?

Not sure if that's the bios chip because it certainly doesn't look like one, I don't think he saved the contents of it either....
Edit: unknown.png (image here because serve the home's upload was playing up)
Also, the board is Rev 1.01 and the seller of the ES Chip said it would be compatible with 1.0c and older.
bios chip is inside the white socket, with some kind of paper clip over it. white socket = bios chip

but i think his problem is the cpu. it is not retail cpu, it is es cpu which could have some defective transistor or capacitors.

let him connect his board to a display with vga cable. then he ca see POST codes

Reactions: LukeAlexJamesSmith

LukeAlexJamesSmith

Jun 29, 2019
He just tested the board and got into the IPMI, code is FF.
Edit: Just going through general troubleshooting right now.
Edit2: Looks like it's posted! thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited:

BaBa

Mar 6, 2020
Hi ,I have a pair of 2s1905a4vihf4 EPYC samples that I am trying to get running in an H11DSi rev 1.01.
I have tried various bios versions 1.0a through 1.0c and cant get it to post (no video output).
The board is ok as I have had it running with some 7401's
In IPMI I get boot snoop ff and it is still showing the 7401's that I had in it before.
The chips came from two different suppliers so at least one should be good I hope.

Any suggestions?

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
Hi ,I have a pair of 2s1905a4vihf4 EPYC samples that I am trying to get running in an H11DSi rev 1.01.
I have tried various bios versions 1.0a through 1.0c and cant get it to post (no video output).
The board is ok as I have had it running with some 7401's
In IPMI I get boot snoop ff and it is still showing the 7401's that I had in it before.
The chips came from two different suppliers so at least one should be good I hope.

Any suggestions?
cmos reset?? by removing the battery and also short-connect CMOS RESET JUMPER...do all this after you disconnect the PSU and also drain all remaining electricity in your mainboard circuit....just to be sure. cmos reset for 10 minutes. i know it maybe sounds stupid, but it helps me sometimes with my other boards

EagerToLearn

Feb 25, 2020
Hello,

I have a 7551 ES and would like to overclock it. Unfortunately I have no experience regarding this topic. So I've downloaded the ZenState tool (linkted in the first post) and got this picture:

Now I am wondering what values I have to enter. Afaik P0/1/2 are different power states.

From what I've heared the voltage shouldn't exeed 1.1 V and I am probaly going to achieve 3.4 GHz. What I don't know is, what Multiplier I need to achieve this clock and what the second number stands for (/5 /6 /8)

If you have this CPU and could tell me the values for the three dropdown fields, I would really appreciate it :) Also if the checkboxes are ticked the right way.

Regards
Michael

Zhang

Sep 18, 2018
"/5" is the divider and you should use "/2" to go beyond max turbo clock.
My experience is 3.5 GHz @1.2V and 3.3 GHz @1.05V. Going beyond 3.5 GHz needs significantly more voltage and can overload VRM easily.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
"/5" is the divider and you should use "/2" to go beyond max turbo clock.
My experience is 3.5 GHz @1.2V and 3.3 GHz @1.05V. Going beyond 3.5 GHz needs significantly more voltage and can overload VRM easily.
what does divider mean? so, the less the divider (smaller size), the more speed?

what if divider is 5 or 6, but multiplier is 34* ?

Reactions: EagerToLearn

EagerToLearn

Feb 25, 2020
With the following settings I achieved a Cinebench score of 10660:

P0 "30.00x" "/2" "1.025"

P1 and P2 remain untouched, I still don't know what they are good for. With those settings the CPU draws 246W (according to Hardwaremonitor). I think for a 24/7 machine, those are reasonable settings. Once I get my fan control (my supermicro board does not like the low revs of the Noctua fan), I am going to stress it for a longer time and see how the temperatures develop.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
yes, my supermicro h11dsi (not NT) rev 1.01 board neither likes noctua fans.

when the computer is idle and doing nothing, then noctua fans are not spinning at constant speed, they go lower and higher. they don't stop at all, but lower and higher.

if the the cpu's (dual retail epyc 7551) are fully loaded, the noctua fans are spinning at constant speed, no speed changes.

this is weird, but my explanation for this is that supermicro boards don't have special cpu fan connectors.

i have x10drh board, too. neither on this board nor on h11dsi i see fan connectors, called CPU.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
yes, my supermicro h11dsi (not NT) rev 1.01 board neither likes noctua fans.

when the computer is idle and doing nothing, then noctua fans are not spinning at constant speed, they go lower and higher. they don't stop at all, but lower and higher.

if the the cpu's (dual retail epyc 7551) are fully loaded, the noctua fans are spinning at constant speed, no speed changes.

this is weird, but my explanation for this is that supermicro boards don't have special cpu fan connectors.

i have x10drh board, too. neither on this board nor on h11dsi i see fan connectors, called CPU.
You need to adjust the RPM thresholds for your fans. It's easy to do with ipmitools.
See here:
https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...ns-on-xeon-sp-tower-server.17831/#post-172365
https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...tool-on-x10-supermicro-board-fan-speed.17906/
How To: Change IPMI Sensor Thresholds using ipmitool

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
hi ppl,

i am trying to overclock my retail epyc 7551 cpu. but i get spontaneous reboot after i click APPLY in ZenState.

i am only changing P0-values.

i tried many different ranges of values

multiplier from 30.00 to 33.00
divider /2 and /4
volt from 1.000 to 1.050

but i always get reboot if i click APPLY

my mainboard is supermicro h11dsi (not NT) with the latest bios (v1.3).

please, help...i am trying to speed up my cpu for faster results of rosetta@home project

Subatomic

Mar 23, 2020
Thank you very much :)

The 3.3 GHz setting sounds very reasonable, I am going to try that.
After lurking for a while, I have joined the forum. In case it is helpful to anyone, I have the same cpus (7551 ES 2S1905A4VIHF4) on a H11DSI-NT Rev.2 running very stable 24/7 at 3.3 GHz on linux. My settings run after boot are:

P0 - Enabled - FID = 21 - DID = 2 - VID = 51 - Ratio = 33.00 - vCore = 1.04375
P1 - Enabled - FID = 10 - DID = 2 - VID = 5C - Ratio = 16.00 - vCore = 0.97500
P2 - Enabled - FID = 60 - DID = 10 - VID = 61 - Ratio = 12.00 - vCore = 0.94375

Power draw at idle is 234W. Note that I also adjusted the max cpu power in the bios to 210W, although I don't think I have ever hit that.

I had a heck of a time getting these to post the first time. Finally, after resetting the cpus in the sockets and resetting the bios via shorting the MB jumper these were able to post.

One thing I had a problem with in overclocking was the cpu VRM temps. When running some benchmarks, such as NAMD, I would easily hit 90-95 C and would sometimes go high enough to get an overheat alarm and thermal throttle the cpu, which would require a reset with ipmi. I did several things to address this issue:

1. mounted a Noctua NF-A4x10 40mm fan on the VRM heatsink

2. put a fan pulling air in from the bottom of the case to exhaust at the top. This is the same direction that I have my cpu fans oriented in push-pull.

3. Added a fan blowing on the back of the MB close to cpu1 mounting bracket. This mounting position was already provided by my large case.

The first 2 got my VRMs down to around 85-90C during benchmards, while #3 got them below 80C. While this computer is not completely silent, it only emits a quite hum that is less than 30dB from where I sit right next to it.

As far as the fans go, I changed out all my fans for Noctuas, and they mostly spin at 400-600 RPM at idle and light loads. However, like many Supermicro boards, the H11DSI does not like low spinning fans and tends to want to keep ramping them on a loop, which will drive you buggy after a short while. I tried lowering the thresholds in IPMI via

ipmitool -I lanplus -H 192.168.1.239 -U ADMIN -P ADMIN sensor thresh Fan3 lower 200 300 400

However, this didn't complete solve the issue for me. In the end I grabbed a shell script that someone wrote (Sorry, but I forget who wrote this to give proper credit) for a Supermicro LGA2011 board and modified it slightly. This runs at boot and polls the temps and fans and makes adjustments. I haven't had any issues since with fan ramping at idle and it has worked well in ramping up the fans under load.

Hopefully, this is helpful to someone else.

Last edited:

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
After lurking for a while, I have joined the forum. In case it is helpful to anyone, I have the same cpus (7551 ES 2S1905A4VIHF4) on a H11DSI-NT Rev.2 running very stable 24/7 at 3.3 GHz on linux. My settings run after boot are:

P0 - Enabled - FID = 21 - DID = 2 - VID = 51 - Ratio = 33.00 - vCore = 1.04375
P1 - Enabled - FID = 10 - DID = 2 - VID = 5C - Ratio = 16.00 - vCore = 0.97500
P2 - Enabled - FID = 60 - DID = 10 - VID = 61 - Ratio = 12.00 - vCore = 0.94375

Power draw at idle is 234W. Note that I also adjusted the max cpu power in the bios to 210W, although I don't think I have ever hit that.

I had a heck of a time getting these to post the first time. Finally, after resetting the cpus in the sockets and resetting the bios via shorting the MB jumper these were able to post.
where do i see those FID, DID, VID values in ZenState??

i see only
P0 multiplier divider volt
P1 multiplier divider volt
P2 multiplier divider volt
PPT TDC EDC

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
I just did

>sudo zenstates.py -l
ah, linux....i am looking for solution in windows 10....my other error is also something with: OBJECT INHERITANCE....changing cpu affinity (cpu group 0 or 1) for zenstate service in task manager doesn't help...keep getting INHERRITANCE-error

EDIT;;:: after flashing my bios with modded bios by neo i can see in my bios those FID, DID, VID values....in bios, not in zenstate program

EDIT 2::: bios values changed to values as @Subatomic suggested. but i don't see my cpu hitting 3.3ghz when fully loaded (by using rosetta folding at all 128 threads). i still have 2.4 ghz on full load.
any idea how to get this done in bios, which is modded by @nero243

Last edited: