Why no avatars?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TheBay

Feb 25, 2013
UK
I know they can be a bit cheesy and can take up valuable data/bandwidth but would be nice to add a little identity to ourselves, even if the option is just there to link to an external source.

I'm awful with names, but always remember a face or a picture.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Have been exploring this. I actually think moderators may/ should have the ability to do so.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
I don't think it gets more personal than a gallery of your hardware or do I sound like a geek now?;)

hagak

Oct 22, 2012
As long as a user can change a profile setting to hide them. Some people like to assume everyone else in the world is just a series of numbers and letters :)

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
i think he's more worried about what people may upload/ link. there are regs around that stuff. understanding that this is not a huge site with scores of full time paid moderators sitting in some low cost hub. our design company advises the same config unless the co can afford that moderation.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
If it was to go that way, and personally I quite like the idea, then I think the pictures need to be stored on the STH servers and possibly need to be moderated before they can be used.

At least that way there is some kind of content control and it takes hotlinking out of the game (and changing the linked picture after the moderation).

Of course it is more resource and it is at Patricks expense.

Some of the other boards I sometimes visit use avatars linked to 'rank' or have a finite set of avatars to choose from based on a theme. Maybe worth a thought.

RB

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Personally not a fan of Avatars. I typically avoid sites that allow them because its just a bunch of clutter/noise. But im slightly OCD :)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Let me look into this. We are having some php issues on the forums so I'm trying to halt changes. What about using stock avatars?

BigXor

May 6, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
bigxor.com
Avatars serve no purpose, clutter the forum and use up bandwidth.

Noise pollution.

But I guess if they are allowed, an avatar that is one pixel high by one pixel wide would still allow millions of colors to choose from.

Last edited:

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Some of the other boards I sometimes visit use avatars linked to 'rank' or have a finite set of avatars to choose from based on a theme. Maybe worth a thought.
How about rank based with a server build. Newbie is a base motherboard. Over 100 posts is a full server. Over 500 posts is a rack. 1000 posts is a datacenter. Dunno something like that.

Standard style avatars so you don't need to worry about what people upload. Ties to a post count. Standardized so will get cached to keep load times low and not be too cluttered. Plus easy indicator if it is a first 1-5 posts by a person in FS/ FT.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
How about rank based with a server build. Newbie is a base motherboard. Over 100 posts is a full server. Over 500 posts is a rack. 1000 posts is a datacenter. Dunno something like that.

Standard style avatars so you don't need to worry about what people upload. Ties to a post count. Standardized so will get cached to keep load times low and not be too cluttered. Plus easy indicator if it is a first 1-5 posts by a person in FS/ FT.
Sorry, missed your post, 7 months ago :eek:.

Interesting idea. Not sure if Patrick has gone any further with this.