ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chris2020

Jan 3, 2020
Hello. I'm brand new here. I just sold my dual socket 771 board and need an upgrade lol. I fear I may have foolishly bought 1 of these mystery meat xeons, then purchased a SM x11srm-f-o. No workee. So my question, is there any new developments with these chips? I was going to attempt to delid mine, but then read in this thread solder may have been used between the ihs and die. But someone delidded theirs. So where do we stand?

And barring any new developments, I will have a nearly new lga2066 Supermicro mobo for sale. I won't post the price as I'm not yet sure if that's allowed here. But I will state it's a good price :)

chris2020

Jan 3, 2020
This thread has (at least) 2 different discussions. One surrounding the blabk lga2066 cpu's that were and maybe still are on ebay. I was foolish for spending 50$ on the blank chip. I was especially foolish for spending more then 4x that for a motherboard while not knowing if the cpu worked.

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
Hello. I'm brand new here. I just sold my dual socket 771 board and need an upgrade lol. I fear I may have foolishly bought 1 of these mystery meat xeons, then purchased a SM x11srm-f-o. No workee. So my question, is there any new developments with these chips? I was going to attempt to delid mine, but then read in this thread solder may have been used between the ihs and die. But someone delidded theirs. So where do we stand?

And barring any new developments, I will have a nearly new lga2066 Supermicro mobo for sale. I won't post the price as I'm not yet sure if that's allowed here. But I will state it's a good price :)
Which ES chip did you buy?

ar_a

Nov 12, 2018

I can't contribute any positive news, but I can add to the wider body of knowledge and confirm the blank lga2066 cpus also don't post in an MSI x299M-A.

In the case of the x299M-A the confounding variable is likely because the board doesn't list compatibility with anything other than the 4 core Kaby-x i5-7640x and i7-7740x.

Since someone earlier in the thread listed an IVR error (Skylake-x using one, and Kaby-x not) and someone else only dual channel ram capability as issues I thought it might be worth checking the cpu in one of the stranger Kaby-x lga2066 boards just in case - $30 for the cpu doesn't hurt too bad!

ME was set to reserved in Intel FIT and the version was 11.10.0.1287.

Last edited:

mantas

Feb 5, 2020
Good news for folks with the QEY8 E5-2695 v3 -- the HUANANZHI DDR3 X99 actually works with this CPU! I'd previously tried this chip on 4 different boards before and had given up on it for over a year until I saw someone post about the AliExpress board, so thanks!

Here's the link to the board on AliExpress: US $127.8 40% OFF|Brand new HUANANZHI X99 motherboard with M.2 NVMe SSD slot discount X99 LGA2011 3 motherboard 4*DDR3 4*USB3.0 10*SATA3.0 ports-in Motherboards from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I tested it with 4x8gb sticks of DDR3 ECC Reg RAM and it booted up first try. The only thing that hasn't worked on it is my m.2 SATA drive (Samsung 860 EVO 1TB), and that figures because the spec page only mentions nVME and not SATA.

I can also confirm that the QEY8 reports as 14 cores 28 threads at 2.30ghz base speed, clocks during Cinebench were 2.70ghz at stock motherboard settings. Cinebench R15 result was 1830cb.

There's an overlocking section in the BIOS, but I haven't messed with it yet. Attached is the Cinebench R15 result and the CPU-Z info for it.View attachment 11923
I've got the same motherboard and the QEY8 with ddr3 cpu reported as a 14 core and 28 thread 2695 v3, however, aren't QEY8's supposed to be 18 core 2696 v3's ? Could the bios be misinterpreting the cpu and disabling the 4 additional cores?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I've got the same motherboard and the QEY8 with ddr3 cpu reported as a 14 core and 28 thread 2695 v3, however, aren't QEY8's supposed to be 18 core 2696 v3's ? Could the bios be misinterpreting the cpu and disabling the 4 additional cores?
is your QEY8 2.30 GHZ as it should be ?
QEY6 is 14 core 2.20 GHZ

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016

which mystery meat xeon ?

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019

you will need to use bios v2.1 from supermicro to get most ES chips to work on the x11srm-f-o.

Also, almost all xeons are soldered to the heat spreader so I would definitely not recommend trying to delid Xeon chips. If the chip has a hole on the heat spreader, then its a sign that it is soldered and cannot be delidded.

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
you will need to use bios v2.1 from supermicro to get most ES chips to work on the x11srm-f-o.

Also, almost all xeons are soldered to the heat spreader so I would definitely not recommend trying to delid Xeon chips. If the chip has a hole on the heat spreader, then its a sign that it is soldered and cannot be delidded.
we dont know which xeon he bought,
X11SRM is chipset C422 socket LGA2066

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Thought so too at first, but it seems like I'm not the only one experiencing this behavior. @PuriPuriLive has reported it as well as this post. It seems like it's an issue with all Huananzhi boards.
TheHuananzhi can not change from ES2(qey8) to ES1.
there were dozens >> QDCS(14C 2.30Ghz A0 ES1) on the market for nothing, why shouldn't they be made more valuable by relabeling?
QDCS.jpg

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Just try to get warranty informaton here
if you see no serial number on the heatspreader, use the 4 digit partial serial on the PCB (right lower corner)
the good one result in "The ATPO entered indicates a tray processor........."
The fake gives "Your product could not be located.............."