EU HGST 4U SAS3 12GB/s Storage Enclosure 60 bays £299

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Emanuele

Mar 1, 2019
Isn't 1 meter too short, counting the cable management arm? If I can ask, which configuration will you be running on those storage?
Have you already received/tested the cables?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
As I said I am getting the ones from the seller (2m). On the link other lengths are available too, so just pick what oyu need.

No cables, no boxes yet ;)
But my fault, too slow moving with the payment.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
If it was an Ebay auction I would have included a link;) I'll pm you the seller's email address.

If any of the others I sent it to bought it it would be great if he/she could update this thread so that we know its gone.

Psycho_Robotico

Nov 23, 2014
Mine is mostly full of SATA drives with a few SAS. I have one cable going into each controller from my server. The first controller sees all of the drives, while the second controller only sees the SAS drives. So, presumably, this is just a "normal" dual-channel SAS expander, with 60 ports. If you want performance, figure out which controller talks to the primary channel (the only one SATA devices use) and run 2 cables to that, ignoring the other one.
Juding by this post operating SAS and SATA disks in the same enclosure appears to be safe, even though the manual states it shouldn't be done. Is anyone using such a mixed setup and can confirm it's working reliably over longer periods?

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
Yes i have mixed sas and sata drives and have no issue (4 sas drives, 26 sata) I have been using it this way for over two years. Only difference is the sas drives show up twice in my drive list due to being seen on both sas backplanes which is normal and i just pick one in my debian omv drives list

Reactions: Psycho_Robotico

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Any idea where to find the rails for this chassis? Or maybe a universal rail that is compatible?
Ok i finally got the railkit,
But i can't figure out how to install it.
The manual says i need to remove the inner rail. But i cant seem to do it,
it's extending but then it's stuck at that position (2nd pic) even with latch pressed
Imgur

Is it supposed to be like this? If so how would i install the rails onto the enclosure? Can't imagine something this heavy easily slide in.. anyone with mounting experience care to enlight me?

Necrotyr

Jun 25, 2017
Denmark
Looks like the chassis needs to be dropped down from the top, when the rails are extended.

Dell has the same kind of rails.

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Looks like the chassis needs to be dropped down from the top, when the rails are extended.

Dell has the same kind of rails.
Hmm i don't know, the manual says it has to be pushed in from the front side

Imgur

But i'm not sure if the chassis could lock in just by sliding it like that, can anyone verify?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Page 43 - but I think to remember it was difficult with the white buttons

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Finally figure it out! I thought it was the metal clasp, didnt notice the white latch with arrow near it! Thanks Rand_!

Reactions: Rand__

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Hmm after several HDDs dying i'm not sure if non-spinning HDD is immune to blackouts.. I've had 3 HDDs dying on me this year already, and it always happens after blackout.
The host server always gets shutdown first, so theoretically the HDD shouldn't be spinning.
But once the UPS drained off, the rack loses power without proper shutdown..
There's still absolutely no way to gracefully shutdown the rack huh?

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Hm
I've been cutting power to mine several times in the last months due to some maintenance or other and did not have a single issue with the drives...

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
By maintenance you mean adding / replacing drives? I never had to turn it off when doing so

Well to be fair, the dying hdds were already 3-4 years old.. so age is probably a factor too.. I just find it odd that it always happens after blackouts.
Could also because stablebit scanner detects it late too..