Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
the little icx7150-c12P's have small cheap power supplies, I've had to repair one for someone.
I have one but brand new. Could you reply with what was the failed component(s) on the C12P you repaired.

Thanks!

marketermac

Jan 19, 2020
Completely new, thank you so much for this thread. I just built my first PFsense box, so I'm a far cry from an expert here...I've tried to get into 10GB networking with MikroTik (been through 2 of their switches, both lasted less then a week before they needed constant power cycling to come back up, and the POE on both didn't work out of the box to start the units with my unify switch powering them). I'm super interested in getting 10GB and POE on the same switch, but I don't want to drop $1k to do it

With all that said, if I follow the guide on the first page to get setup, and don't want to do anything on my network other then connect my various stuff together, is something like the 6450 basically plug and play? I'm competent enough to setup PFsense, but that's about where my networking knowledge ends lol. I don't have vlans or anything fancy setup, my switch is currently a unify 8 port (4 POE) unit that works, and a monoprice 8 port dumb switch.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
With all that said, if I follow the guide on the first page to get setup, and don't want to do anything on my network other then connect my various stuff together, is something like the 6450 basically plug and play?
yes that's exactly what the config/update guide in the first page does, it gets the switch into a "plug and play" state where it behaves like a typical dumb switch most people are used to. One thing you'll need not mentioned in the guide (been meaning to add them) is PoE commands. They're pretty simple:

to enable PoE power on a port just run the command "inline power" under each port:

For port 6 and 7 for example:

Code:
enable
conf t
int e 1/1/6
inline power
int e 1/1/7
inline power
write mem
to view PoE details like power draw just run "show inline power"

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Many thanks for the prompt reply - do you think I should go with ICX 6610-48 or ICX 6610-48P?

I'm unsure if I should get rid of my PoE+ 24-port midspan. ICX 6610-48 non-POE version does have slightly higher MTBF and lower power consumption - I suppose this is a plus

It's up to you - I haven't been able to measure any significant power draw differences between the P and non P versions until you enable PoE, and then as expected the draw difference is about whatever the PoE device is drawing. The lower MTBF on the P version is just due to the fact it has an entire second motherboard (twice as much stuff to fail), but it's the PoE daughterboard, and if it fails, the switch will continue working (without PoE). if you already have a midspan I would probably use that, if it's decent it should have some surge protection properties that will hopefully stop the 6610 from getting its PoE board fried if you ever get a nasty static discharge or nearby lightning strike

ewer0012

Feb 10, 2019
Wanted to post an update about the 6610-48P I bought from Techretire on eBay:

Received the switch, it's in great physical condition. 2 PSU, 2 fans (Was surprised for $125). I was able to update all firmware and configure everything for my lab network, and so far, so good... ish.

The switch keeps surging its fans to the high setting every 6ish minutes for about 30-45 seconds. I was able to confirm this with the logs (can post a sample later if needed). When I look at the temp readings from "sh chassis" right after a fan surge the switch cpu is sitting at 70C, and it kicks up to high at 76C.

I find this temp to be strange, considering I have an identical switch right above it running no more than 60C on any sensor, and it's running 40Gbe to my storage array, 2 breakout ports to my Nutanix cluster, and all 8 SFP+ ports are populated... So all of my heavy network traffic, VLANs, replication, transfers... All going through my first 6610-48P and it's rock solid at 60C.

I haven't gotten a chance to crack open the new switch, yet, but was going to do that to check for dust and such when I get home. Can anyone think of anything else I should take a look at when I have it open?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Wanted to post an update about the 6610-48P I bought from Techretire on eBay:

Received the switch, it's in great physical condition. 2 PSU, 2 fans (Was surprised for $125). I was able to update all firmware and configure everything for my lab network, and so far, so good... ish.

The switch keeps surging its fans to the high setting every 6ish minutes for about 30-45 seconds. I was able to confirm this with the logs (can post a sample later if needed). When I look at the temp readings from "sh chassis" right after a fan surge the switch cpu is sitting at 70C, and it kicks up to high at 76C.

I find this temp to be strange, considering I have an identical switch right above it running no more than 60C on any sensor, and it's running 40Gbe to my storage array, 2 breakout ports to my Nutanix cluster, and all 8 SFP+ ports are populated... So all of my heavy network traffic, VLANs, replication, transfers... All going through my first 6610-48P and it's rock solid at 60C.

I haven't gotten a chance to crack open the new switch, yet, but was going to do that to check for dust and such when I get home. Can anyone think of anything else I should take a look at when I have it open?
are they reverse airflow psus/fans?

ewer0012

Feb 10, 2019
Damnit, not the cancers! I might pull the top off just to see if there's anything noticeable that I can do for it. If not, I'll see if the seller will exchange it. o_O Thanks, foh. As always, you're the man.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
yeah I would definitely open it up and look inside, especially if there's an identical switch above it running much cooler. the PSUs are responsible for most of the airflow, so I would visually inspect those and feel the air coming out of them and see if it's roughly the same airflow as the switch above it as well

NYCone

Jun 23, 2017
A word of thanks to fohdeesha.

I bought an ICX 6610, and three MCX354A-QCBTs. I followed the guides and was able to get rid of two Quanta switches and 7 Poe injectors. Now, I also have a 40GBe link to my ESXi server.

This is the best deal I've seen in a long time!

Thanks for the great work!

ewer0012

Feb 10, 2019
yeah I would definitely open it up and look inside, especially if there's an identical switch above it running much cooler. the PSUs are responsible for most of the airflow, so I would visually inspect those and feel the air coming out of them and see if it's roughly the same airflow as the switch above it as well
I checked the fans/PSUs last night for proper airflow by taking a piece of cardboard and putting it between the two switches to isolate the exhausts. From what I can tell from this super accurate and by no means silly test, the fans are operating at roughly the same speed/CFM on the low fan setting.

I haven't gotten a chance to take it out of the rack, yet (why couldn't this have shown up while I had it on my desk instead of installed in my rack, buried under a berjillion ethernet/fiber cables?), but I'll do that tonight :(:mad: and crack it open to see what the deal is. Hopefully it's something fixable... Otherwise I might see about picking up a decent priced Arista DCS-7050S-64-R and tinkering with that.

Thanks for your help, foh.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
I checked the fans/PSUs last night for proper airflow by taking a piece of cardboard and putting it between the two switches to isolate the exhausts. From what I can tell from this super accurate and by no means silly test, the fans are operating at roughly the same speed/CFM on the low fan setting.

I haven't gotten a chance to take it out of the rack, yet (why couldn't this have shown up while I had it on my desk instead of installed in my rack, buried under a berjillion ethernet/fiber cables?), but I'll do that tonight :(:mad: and crack it open to see what the deal is. Hopefully it's something fixable... Otherwise I might see about picking up a decent priced Arista DCS-7050S-64-R and tinkering with that.

Thanks for your help, foh.
Clogged fans or heatsink issues? It sounds like what will happen when a notebook has its inlet vents clogged with dust/dirt. Or it could be that the temperature sensor is failing. Get compressed air and go to town.

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
Finally pulled the trigger on 2 Ruckus R720 APs. Will install the unleashed controller firmware on both APs. I'm still confused on the 803.3af vs 802.3at POE option on the AP and which port on the R720 to connect to my ICX6610 switch.

In addition, on the ICX6610, it looks like LLDP needs to be turned on and the switch needs to advertise power via LLDP.
Replying to an old post, but just found the same to be true for my Ruckus AP's. below is how to manage LLDP on the ICX switches per instructions from Ruckus.

PoE Switches negotiate PoE power after identifying other end devices such as AP, Cameras using LLDP-MED.

By default, LLDP is disabled in ICX 7000 and 6ooo series switches. To enable it, the following global command has to be issued:
ICX6450-48P Router(config)#lldp run

The switch will have to advertise power via LLDP and the following commands have to be issued either for the specific port e.g. port 1/1/5,
ICX6450-48P Router(config-if-e1000-1/1/5)#lldp advertise power-via-mdi ports ethernet 1/1/5

or if all ports have to be configured identically
ICX6450-48P Router(config-if-e1000-1/1/5)#lldp advertise power-via-mdi ports all

juey

Oct 1, 2018
Germany
Replying to an old post, but just found the same to be true for my Ruckus AP's. below is how to manage LLDP on the ICX switches per instructions from Ruckus.

PoE Switches negotiate PoE power after identifying other end devices such as AP, Cameras using LLDP-MED.

By default, LLDP is disabled in ICX 7000 and 6ooo series switches. To enable it, the following global command has to be issued:
ICX6450-48P Router(config)#lldp run

The switch will have to advertise power via LLDP and the following commands have to be issued either for the specific port e.g. port 1/1/5,
ICX6450-48P Router(config-if-e1000-1/1/5)#lldp advertise power-via-mdi ports ethernet 1/1/5

or if all ports have to be configured identically
ICX6450-48P Router(config-if-e1000-1/1/5)#lldp advertise power-via-mdi ports all
Hm, that steps weren‘t necessery for my UAP AC-HD. 802.3at was auto detected just by firing „inline power“ on the port.