A bunch of Juniper SRX300 firewalls dumped cheap

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
setting up IPSEC VPN thats SECURE isnt that hard BUT takes some work. feel free to ping me in a PM as i have a pretty well documented IPSEC VPN config i can pass along. it has alot of different ciphers and combos for different client software.

i use VPNTRACKER on MacOS

i have a number of clients using my config including my own SRX.
Awesome!

Will ping you as soon as I have the SRX delivered

-j

Reactions: Samir

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
Is the web filtering feature enabled, if you don't go for the license? Coming from Sophos XG firewall (home license). Can you VPN to this from IOS or android devices natively?

747builder

Dec 17, 2017
Is the web filtering feature enabled, if you don't go for the license? Coming from Sophos XG firewall (home license). Can you VPN to this from IOS or android devices natively?
unless you buy it new, your chances of a unregistered one is SLIM to none, with that said:

buying licenses for a SRX300 that already has beeen registered or has a existing support contract gets dicey.

as far as VPN ,as long as your phone supports IPSEC and the ciphers you config in the SRX YES

Reactions: frogtech

Laugh|nGMan

Nov 27, 2012
Stateful firewall (IMIX packet size) in Mbps 500

Guys! I bet with SRX300 you can't push more than 500 Mbps in WAN>>LAN direction. And that's without IDS fancy stuff. Power draw definitely will be >30W for an unconfigured unit.

I have SRX210H "One-Armed-Router config" without IDS, +with 30 PORT FORWARDING rules I can't push more than 280Mbps WAN>>LAN direction. Bare router idles, if I remember, approx. @ 15W

oddball

May 18, 2018
Seems about right, and remember this is total throughput, so full duplex is 250 Mbps each direction. Juniper recommends a 340 if you want to push 1Gbps full duplex.

I've found Juniper to be fairly accurate in terms of throughput numbers.

I'm not sure if you can subscribe for feeds or not via someone like CDW. I've never tried. I have purchased licenses for used gear with Juniper without an issue. For the JSB for example you have to enter the serial of the device on Juniper's site, but then it entitles it, no questions asked.

We've purchased a few used Juniper items on eBay and licensed them. If you're careful you can even purchase support. You need a valid support contract to purchase the IDS things.

Alternatively you can toss these things into packet mode and they're reliable 1Gbps routers, totally silent.

tritron

Jan 15, 2020
Who can upload recovery image for srx340 I just got one with bad firmware load. I need to create usb and recover the unit

Reactions: Samir

Marsh

May 12, 2013
There is 2 partition of firmware, may be you could boot off the good partition.

I do not remember how. If you need info, I could try to find my old notes.
I had few corrupt updates, but managed to boot off the good firmware.

Reactions: mkstrom and Samir

tritron

Jan 15, 2020
I got in the previous owner changed baud rate to highest one. The box boots in bussybox how i recover it
I see this on boot
** File not found vmlinuxtrident_diag_v0.1.0.26.64 **
## No elf image at address 0x20000000