Perc H710 Mini to IT mode

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com

done

we're gunna spend the next couple days streamlining the process so it requires less reboots, but it's totally doable. Guide/script next week maybe? It's amazing how much faster I work when I have a bunch of weirdos spamming me with messages that it's impossible

SirUffsALot

Nov 7, 2017
Nice, what tool did you use to manipulate the sbr?
This was the showstopper for me, because sbrtool.py don't work with 512bytes SBRs.
I flashed a defective sbr and the server didn't boot afterwards, fortunately I could revive the controller with my ch341a programmer.

Reactions: Sleyk and fohdeesha

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Nice, what tool did you use to manipulate the sbr?
This was the showstopper for me, because sbrtool.py don't work with 512bytes SBRs.
I flashed a defective sbr and the server didn't boot afterwards, fortunately I could revive the controller with my ch341a programmer.
We manually edited the SBR by cross-examining the stock dell SBR with our target SBR, from a 9207-8i (and from a 9205-8e, for B0 revision cards). My reply here on github has details along with instructions, but a much more complete and smoother guide will be out in a week or so after we script some of it reading SBR from 2208 shows the data to be offset by a few bytes · Issue #1 · marcan/lsirec

Last edited:

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
could use some hints and pointers on how you manipulated the sbr
You liked almost every other comment in this thread. Why won't you read them as well? There are 2 separate scripts already posted (by me on the 1st page and by @fohdeesha in the github ticket comments) which do the exact thing you are asking for.

AndiM202

Jan 6, 2020

done

we're gunna spend the next couple days streamlining the process so it requires less reboots, but it's totally doable. Guide/script next week maybe? It's amazing how much faster I work when I have a bunch of weirdos spamming me with messages that it's impossible
Wow, that's so nice dude, congratulations! I'll be very happy to see a guide - then I'm able to try myself on my other H710 :) Cheers!

Reactions: Sleyk and fohdeesha

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
Will the guide work with the H710P mini in addition to the H710? Just acquired an R720 with the card.

My understanding is that it's the same card just with more cache, but since I'm brand new to the Dell R720 world I'm not 100% sure (replacing a whitebox build whose MB died on me the other day).

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Will the guide work with the H710P mini in addition to the H710? Just acquired an R720 with the card.

My understanding is that it's the same card just with more cache, but since I'm brand new to the Dell R720 world I'm not 100% sure (replacing a whitebox build whose MB died on me the other day).
probably but i need a couple pieces of info off the card first to make sure, shoot me a pm

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
the SBRs are in the zip attached to my github guide comment

definitely need linux, sas2flash or any of the dos utilities will fail to hostboot the card to flash the new firmware. We're probably going to try to distribute a ready to go linux ISO with the tools built in. But if you have 800 posts on a site like STH it may be time to start learning linux :)

sas2flash –o –assem “hacktheplanet”
sas2flash –o –tracer “42069”

Reactions: Sleyk

Roelf Zomerman

Jan 10, 2019
blog.azureinfra.com
woohooo!.. waiting anxiously for this.. I have 3x Dell R620's waiting to get flashed :) .. given I only use 2 of them (so we have a spare to play with..) let me know if I can do/test anything for you

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Good to know, I'd love to get the step by instructions once they're complete.
Do you also have an H710P? If so, can you grab the dell part number for me? Looks like there's 3 other part numbers that I haven't been able to look at, need to make sure they all have the same SBR size (or document which ones don't)

Looking for these:
0PK2W9
TTVVV (got one)
0N3V6G (got one)

Last edited:

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Hmm I just checked actually my H710Ps are the physical cards not the minis.
The ones I was thinking of are non-p, part: 5CT6D

I do have a couple that I'm actively using and can't shutdown though that are p version those are model J9D3P though.

Is there a link to your guide somewhere for the regular version fohdeesha? or you still finalizing?

Nanoteck

Feb 4, 2020
To be honest, there are too many leeches. Everything that is currently free should be $0.99 so that leeches, aggregators and other social rejecta may not collect them for "future use" (nor brag about "having" them).
Nothing that is free is respected today.

That being said, I follow this thread for a while.
It is possible I've given out hints or even stuff, if I were to do this with open source tools.
Sadly, the signed firmware and partitioning the EFS requires approaches of the official utility.

Now giving it out in a patched/modified manner would be pretty much illegal everywhere.

If someone were to reverse it, to provide for EFS handling, it would be cool - but I don't see that in the foreseeable future.
It was even unfeasible for me for the two or so cards I had to process like half a year ago.

We've successfully crossflashed an H710 mini with non Dell IT firmware, it really wasn't even difficult, I have no clue what strongholdmedia is on about. Will have a guide out in a week or two depending on time. And yes, it will be free

I just registered an account here to tell fohdeesha that he is doing gods work! I also wanted to tell strongholdmedia that I respect the hell out of what he is doing for the home server community, especially because he does it for free.

@fohdeesha do you have somewhere i can donate to? I want to buy you a beer.
Cant wait for the upcoming guide. I have two H710 Minis that eagerly await being flashed :)

Reactions: fohdeesha