Questions on updating iDRAC firmware safely (R720)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

adminmat

Sep 1, 2019
Good evening all. I picked up an R720 last month with an iDRAC7 active Enterprise license and would like to update the iDRAC firmware. The current firmware version is: 1.57.57 (Build 04), last updated Oct 2 09:17:51 2014

I see the latest version is: iDRAC with Lifecycle Controller v. 2.63.60.62

Questions:

- Is is safe to just use the Update section in the iDRAC WebUI or the Lifecycle Controller WebUI to do the update?

- Should I download the latest firmware locally and update or use FTP like in Dell's video?

- Is it better to do the update through Dell Lifecycle Controller?

- Do I need to update incrementally or can I go from 1.57.57 to 2.63.60.62?

I'd like to update safely and not risk bricking my iDRAC module.

kdub

May 20, 2019
Good evening all. I picked up an R720 last month with an iDRAC7 active Enterprise license and would like to update the iDRAC firmware. The current firmware version is: 1.57.57 (Build 04), last updated Oct 2 09:17:51 2014

I see the latest version is: iDRAC with Lifecycle Controller v. 2.63.60.62

Questions:

- Is is safe to just use the Update section in the iDRAC WebUI or the Lifecycle Controller WebUI to do the update?

- Should I download the latest firmware locally and update or use FTP like in Dell's video?

- Is it better to do the update through Dell Lifecycle Controller?

- Do I need to update incrementally or can I go from 1.57.57 to 2.63.60.62?

I'd like to update safely and not risk bricking my iDRAC module.
I have a couple R620 with the same setup. There are a couple major versions you have to go through. I used the iDRAC WebUI and had no issues.

This lays it out nicely: Solved: Re: iDRAC7 Upgrade Path - Dell Community
Re: iDRAC7 Upgrade Path Rcorralhit, The server is really out of date, so trying to update either the BIOS or iDrac to current from where they are can cause issues. You will need to walk the BIOS and iDrac up together in steps. BIOS 2.0.21 iDrac 1.57.57 BIOS 2.1.3 iDrac w/ Lifecycle Controller 2.21.21 (the updates merged after this point) BIOS 2.4.2 iDrac w/ LCC 2.40.40 BIOS 2.5.1 iDrac w. LCC 2.63.60.62. (latest) BIOS 2.6.0 (latest) Hope this helps, let me know how it goes. Chris Hawk Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

General instructions for upgrading in iDrac WebUI can be found here, scroll down to section 3 for iDrac 7:
Update Dell PowerEdge Servers firmware remotely using the iDRAC | Dell Canada