[Newegg] ASRock Rack D1541D4U-2O8R mATX 8-core Xeon D-1541 mobo with SFP+ $179!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Well I guess since you know what they paid could offer 220-230 say and see if they bite for a quick profit and you still get a great price.

Reactions: zack$

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
Well I guess since you know what they paid could offer 220-230 say and see if they bite for a quick profit and you still get a great price.
Exactly my point. Some of these listings started at $800 and are now down to $450, hence my suspicion that they may be from Newegg sale. For people looking to flip these quickly to recoup costs, a great deal is likely to be had.

In any event, at $450 these boards are still a deal bnib for what they retail for.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I guess the lesson here is to watch Newegg for Asrock Rack sales if you want something.

This is the 4th time in about a year that I've seen them seriously drop prices on an Asrock Rack board. Usually its something that's going to be discontinued soon, or has recently been discontinued.

The first time I saw Newegg do this, I got a workstation board for $39 last April, and I still see them used on Ebay used for almost $200. I resisted the last couple times though, and lucky for my wallet this particular deal was sold out by the time I decided to buy.

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
I tried the first link above - it auto-declined up to $240. Past that... not worth it to me when I can just build literally any other server. The second link took a $220 offer with "3 competing offers" in queue right now.

I don't mind paying a LITTLE extra over the sale price but at $450+ I can just grab literally any other Xeon-D board on eBay right now.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I tried the first link above - it auto-declined up to $240. Past that... not worth it to me when I can just build literally any other server. The second link took a $220 offer with "3 competing offers" in queue right now.

I don't mind paying a LITTLE extra over the sale price but at $450+ I can just grab literally any other Xeon-D board on eBay right now.
My thought exactly. Or you can get a cheap X10 board and an 2630L v3 and have an all around more versatile platform with more dimms and better performance for cheaper than the cost of one of those boards.

Reactions: mmo

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
First time back in stock at Newegg since the Christmas sale but at $979.99.

I only mention this because if the Asrock-Newegg theory is right/Newegg decides to drop this back to $179 on its own volitation, then those who missed out the last time can have a second bite.

Can lighting strike the same deal twice ?? :D

mimino

Nov 2, 2018
First time back in stock at Newegg since the Christmas sale but at $979.99.

I only mention this because if the Asrock-Newegg theory is right/Newegg decides to drop this back to $179 on its own volitation, then those who missed out the last time can have a second bite.

Can lighting strike the same deal twice ?? :D
It has been back in stock for about a week at this price. There is still hope.

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
This is now down to $587.99 with promocode at Newegg...........meh!

I got my eye on you D1541D4U-2O8R ! ;)

rootshell

Jan 10, 2021
Hey Guys - What do you think a fair price is for the Asrock Rack D1541D4U-2O8R today NIB?

Struggling a bit. This board would be a great fit for a new storage/TrueNAS build I want to do, but the board is typically priced at the $1200 level... which is steep given it's a 5+ year old platform, and when I see some of the historical prices mentioned in this thread, makes my head spin even more. Newegg has it today on sale for $1,029 which is the lowest I've seen in a year... which sounds like a deal... until I see these past prices which were 1/3rd of that, plus just being an old tech/platform.

Trying to strike the balance between horsepower and idle power consumption. This board seems to be a great fit for a home server. I'm just having a hard time stomaching the $1k+ price. OTOH, I don't see many better alternatives.

Curious on thoughts...

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
I'd say 150-200$ would be fair for this. If it was a supermicro board perhaps slightly higher.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Why not buy a board based on the Atom Denverton, like Supermicro's A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F and a separate 10G NIC?
That would at least be cheaper that $1200, and will have support for 12x SATA disks (so if you do not need a SAS controller...).
I'd say 150-200$ would be fair for this. If it was a supermicro board perhaps slightly higher.
This seems low, sure there are examples of very cheap Xeon D systems, like the HPE EC200's and the Quanta servers, but to me around $500-600 seems more reasonable at the moment. This is assuming it is used hardware, and because the board has both 10G sfp+ and a SAS3 controller.

Given buying from new, 1k is not far out, but I would absolutely consider getting something else (or buying used if possible).
I doubt a separate sas controller card will require much more power than one built-in on the motherboard, so OP could probably just do that.

EDIT: another option could be this:
12x SATA3 and newer Xeon D (with only 4 cores, but better performance per core) and in general lots of network interfaces.

Last edited:

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
For sure these systems are really expensive to buy. But they arent really intended to buy as a private customer or the like. Its a product that was designed and made in 2014 and has a long life. When I say the value is 200$ its because its so old. The first processor in the series was made 15Q1 and there hasnt been any changes to it. If you buy any modern Atom you'd get the same performance at half the cost.