Any new Supermicro motherboard on the pipe for EPYC Rome?

What MB brand would you buy for your new EPYC Rome P?

• Total voters
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dassiq

Jul 10, 2017
For the EPYC boards that offer replaceable bios chip , does anybody know if its just a drop in of the higher capacity bios chip ( with Bios programmed of course) to make the board work for ROME EPYCs?

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
I think only Asrack offer a socketed Bios chip and they say you can switch it for rome. The other OEMs have pre production pictures on their site and the socket has been removed on the retail boards. Tyan had 32mb Chips from the start and have released new versions supporting rome.

Supermicro claims they changed more than just the bios chip on the H11 rev 2 boards, i'm not sure if this is true. I'm still waiting for an answer from gigabyte.

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
Hmm for naples i would've grabbed the Asrock anytime over my H11SSLi:
Better VRM, better PCIe layout (on the H11SSL you'll loose all 8x slots if you go with 3x fullsized cards) and a socketed Bios chip so you don't have to buy a new board for Rome.

If it turns out to be true, that you can run rome on H11 boards by simply swapping the chip i'm going to be kinda mad at Supermicro.

BTW: Asrock linked the wrong bios rom for this board on their site, dont flash that for rome.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
why are we sooo eagerly for supermicro mainboards?
- quality
- eco system
- features
- support
- (clever) design*

* look at the m.2 slot of the h11 board and it's position; adjust the sides of the air shroud and you're cooling the m.2 more efficiently

Reactions: TXAG26

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
- quality
- eco system
- features
- support
- (clever) design*

* look at the m.2 slot of the h11 board and it's position; adjust the sides of the air shroud and you're cooling the m.2 more efficiently
lack of onboard debug LED on SM....big issue for me...if asrack had dual socket mainboard for epyc, i would buy that

dassiq

Jul 10, 2017
lack of onboard debug LED on SM....big issue for me...if asrack had dual socket mainboard for epyc, i would buy that

Exactly, lack of debug code display is a big factor for me as well for the SM boards. I have an alternate solution in works for the SM boards.

I have few 8 core EPYCS (naples) that the seller swears that they were working in an HP system, but there is no way for me to figure out the problem as they don't post in the SM h11 board.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
Exactly, lack of debug code display is a big factor for me as well for the SM boards. I have an alternate solution in works for the SM boards.

I have few 8 core EPYCS (naples) that the seller swears that they were working in an HP system, but there is no way for me to figure out the problem as they don't post in the SM h11 board.
you need to use vga port of the mainboard, then you will see all codes like it is debug LED. just connect vga display to vga port of motherboard.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010

On the debug, basically all of the big vendors use IPMI for this in some fashion.

On the EPYCs, are you sure they are from HPE, not Dell systems?

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
On the debug, basically all of the big vendors use IPMI for this in some fashion.

@Patrick - are there any issues with using HPE pulled Naples or Rome CPU's with other manufacturer's boards, such as Supermicro? Is there anything different about the HPE Epyc's that makes them not recognized/supported on a non-HPE motherboard? I always had "assumed" that HPE, Dell, etc. purchase processors from AMD/Intel, just like everyone else.

Reactions: ari2asem

dassiq

Jul 10, 2017

I am currently testing a LPC / TPM header solution for SM boards.

dassiq

Jul 10, 2017
@Patrick - are there any issues with using HPE pulled Naples or Rome CPU's with other manufacturer's boards, such as Supermicro? Is there anything different about the HPE Epyc's that makes them not recognized/supported on a non-HPE motherboard? I always had "assumed" that HPE, Dell, etc. purchase processors from AMD/Intel, just like everyone else.
I am very curious as well :)

Reactions: TXAG26

Fake Moth

Sep 18, 2018
Transylvania
Just wanted to say that in the name of diversity and for the sake of of personal growth I ordered for two weeks now a Gigabyte MZ32-AR0 (rev. 1.0) :) In fact a whole server with 7402P, SM case and PSUs, 4x16GB for now, etc.

Seems like a neat MB - used GB in my workstations for years, until I turned to Asus. In the servers - Tyan, than major brands, than SM.

It was way too much to wait for SM.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
Any news about new H12 boards from Supermicro?
currently working on latest raptor ultra build using an h12ssw-in mb. had some hurdles with getting the pcie 4.0 to work properly with a dual port nic. but modified a few settings in the bios and got it sorted. let me know if you have any questions regarding this mb.
best,
jp

Reactions: nnunn and TXAG26

freebitflow

Dec 31, 2019
Already 2020 and still no H12SSL available :*( . The only reason I am not interested in the H11SSL revision 2 is the fact that it is missing PCIe Gen4, especially for the M.2 slot. Maybe we also get better VRMs for a 7H12 (or some overclocking?!), or an updated BMC (AST2600)? If it takes another few months to get the board released, I really have to look into Tyan or Gigabyte for my new built.