Pinch Solenoids

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Pinch solenoid valves - Asco Numatics Sirai

Seller on ebay accidentally sent me 8 new in box Sirai pinch solonoids, from the above it appears they're used to pinch hoses in industrial fluid applications.

Just curious if anyone has used these for DIY projects, and could share some examples of how they were used.

Dawg10

Associate
Dec 24, 2016
I’ve seen them used (rarely) to control calibration gas to isolated instrumentation but that application is usually stainless tubing and electrical SOVs; the difference between the two being mainly budget.

I have a project on the bench consisting of 8 low voltage DC relays connected to 8 1/4” SOVs that start/ stop water flow to 8 misters in our greenhouse to assist in temperature control. We have 5 independent hydroponic systems that my wife uses to grow cukes , peppers and the like. Seeing as they finally legalized weed, I’m going to give that a try next spring.

I already installed a louvered wall fan with 2-speed temperature controller but that’s not enough some days, so I also added roof and wall blinds but now we’re into full time babysitting, managing louvers and blinds. The misters are already installed so I know they will do the job; some overhead and some just above the 3/4” washed crush gravel floor. The plan is to program an Arduino to open one mister at a time as the greenhouse temperature rises, and turn them on/ off as required to maintain setpoint.

Pinch solenoids would make my application much easier as there would be no need for inlet & outlet connections at the SOVs, and no possibility of leaks, but my budget is pretty low... like $100 all in...

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I’ve seen them used (rarely) to control calibration gas to isolated instrumentation but that application is usually stainless tubing and electrical SOVs; the difference between the two being mainly budget.

I have a project on the bench consisting of 8 low voltage DC relays connected to 8 1/4” SOVs that start/ stop water flow to 8 misters in our greenhouse to assist in temperature control. We have 5 independent hydroponic systems that my wife uses to grow cukes , peppers and the like. Seeing as they finally legalized weed, I’m going to give that a try next spring.

I already installed a louvered wall fan with 2-speed temperature controller but that’s not enough some days, so I also added roof and wall blinds but now we’re into full time babysitting, managing louvers and blinds. The misters are already installed so I know they will do the job; some overhead and some just above the 3/4” washed crush gravel floor. The plan is to program an Arduino to open one mister at a time as the greenhouse temperature rises, and turn them on/ off as required to maintain setpoint.

Pinch solenoids would make my application much easier as there would be no need for inlet & outlet connections at the SOVs, and no possibility of leaks, but my budget is pretty low... like $100 all in...
Sounds like a great setup, and one I'm very interested in too :)
When\if you get time please post pictures with more details!