EU HGST 102 Drive JBOD £650 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
It's a beast...

If i read correctly, it have 12 mini-sas hd ports !

I have enough with a 4U60 but for somebody that really needs density it'ts a good chassis IMHO

Reactions: Samir

oxynazin

Dec 10, 2018
Can somebody confirm that the minimum of 24 and 60 HDDs is really a necessary requirement for data60 and data102 respectively as stated in user guide? Which minimum amount of HDDs were in your JBODs?

Reactions: Samir

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Can somebody confirm that the minimum of 24 and 60 HDDs is really a necessary requirement for data60 and data102 respectively as stated in user guide? Which minimum amount of HDDs were in your JBODs?
At the risk of this being the most unhelpful post ever, if you find out let me know :) I have two of these and apart from a quick test to see if they power up and a quick hard drive test I've not had the time to touch them since. I'm not sure whether they are locked to WD drives or the specific WD hard drives noted in the compatibility statements. Or perhaps as you've stated I needed to load more in!

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
I assume you are way past this question now but I have had time to start looking at the data102's I have - they seem to work ok with a lesser number of drives i.e. I have 10 in and its not complaining - no amber lights etc. I've not done a thorough test yet but will be doing in the next few days or so.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
@ecosse keep us updated with your test progress, please
No worries - quick update - been testing out drive compatibility - no surprises so far, the compatibility matrix for this is HGST/WD only and I was warned non-WD wouldnt work.

6TB - HUS726060ALA640 work
6TB - HUS720600ALA4210 work
3TB - HDS722020ALA330 - doesnt work

I am going to try a cheeky seagate test later but I don't expect that to be positive.
I've a few WD external hard drives - if i can find the space to evacuate the disk I will try one of those.

Its very loud on startup and the fans are whiny even in normal operation - but bearable once the startup sequence is complete. Ideally would reduce the noise - will look at that. The acoustic enclosures I have will not accommodate the length of this thing.

Finally, I can access the mgmt service through https/redfish commands. The port does respond to SSH but not sure what the password is. I was hoping to see if I could tweak the compatibility :) Nothing immediately found in the manual but will look at this again later.