[Newegg] ASRock Rack D1541D4U-2O8R mATX 8-core Xeon D-1541 mobo with SFP+ $179!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Himay

Apr 19, 2016
Merry Christmas to me! Thankfully this is a drop-in replacement for an old server running on a FX-4100 core to (a) expand my RAM beyond 16GB, (b) lower power consumption, (c) migrate to ECC, and (d) get some IPMI management. Can even drop my H310 and plug directly into the onboard 3008.

Not setup for 10G networking yet, but this gives me a reason to start keeping an eye out!

mimino

Nov 2, 2018
Darn I want this! :( Would have to off load my R620 for which there doesn't seem to be whole lot of interest.

Reactions: Samir

Dark

Mar 9, 2019
Almost identical to the 'Datto' board (still asrock) that was going for ~$500 a year or so ago.

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
Almost identical to the 'Datto' board (still asrock) that was going for ~$500 a year or so ago.
Hell, for that matter if you click on the D1521 version on that same link, they're selling it - with significantly worse specs all around - for $410.

Worth pointing out, it looks like the SFP+ ports are the ONLY ports available for system use on this board; you'll either need a copper SFP or an add-on PCIe NIC if you don't have fiber or DAC setups already.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I'm curious, the onboard M.2 slots used to only support SATA3 drives but in the manual it shows all these drives supported which includes some NVMe's.

ajs

Mar 27, 2018
Minnesota
I ran this board for a good 1-2 years. Great board.
What made you upgrade? Any real world power usage numbers you can share? I'm looking to downsize my dual 2650v2 setup to something a little less power hungry.. I don't really need all the horse power either.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
What made you upgrade? Any real world power usage numbers you can share? I'm looking to downsize my dual 2650v2 setup to something a little less power hungry.. I don't really need all the horse power either.
I was running a full 4-node Xeon D cluster at the time. I wound up downsizing my network to a single all in one server so I needed more cores and a little more juice. This was also before I switched to hardware transcoding for my media servers so at the time I needed more CPU juice.

Sorry don't have any hard power numbers but I ran this entire rack including 4 Xeon D's (between 35-45w each) on a single 900w PSU that was never had usage over 400w.

Reactions: Serhan and Samir

ajs

Mar 27, 2018
Minnesota
I was running a full 4-node Xeon D cluster at the time. I wound up downsizing my network to a single all in one server so I needed more cores and a little more juice. This was also before I switched to hardware transcoding for my media servers so at the time I needed more CPU juice.

Sorry don't have any hard power numbers but I ran this entire rack including 4 Xeon D's (between 35-45w each) on a single 900w PSU that was never had usage over 400w.
45w for each node is good, I'm currently idling at 280w for two nodes.. dual 2650v2 and a 1230v3 system. I estimate I'm spending around $300 a year running these systems, so the idea is paying for the upgrade with long term power savings.