AMD ES ZS1406E2VJUG5 microcode version?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ExecutableFix

Nov 25, 2019
The firmware on these ES cpus has always displayed the microcode version for some reason. So the 006 or 00B is probably a microcode included in a beta bios

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
The firmware on these ES cpus has always displayed the microcode version for some reason. So the 006 or 00B is probably a microcode included in a beta bios
I just realized that i got trolled by HP, the Bios version that potentially contains one of the MCs was taken out of their SPP driver and firmware package and replaced with another one. Direct download is only possible if you registered a machine on their site. So far it looks like none of these MCs was ever released anywhere or just vanished from the internet. The V27 MC is the same Threadripper 3xxx uses just like it is with naples, the ES Epycs also share the same stepping/CPUID with the TRs again. So you take the good with the bad, MCs are easily replaced but they are nowhere to be found.

ExecutableFix

Nov 25, 2019
Yeah those MCs are nowhere to be found. But the good thing (or bad depending on how you look at it) is that the MC is not the issue. HP using a non standard UEFI bios is really annoying tho

some1else

Oct 8, 2016
Bought 2S1404E2VJUG5 few weeks back, have some broken capacitor matrix, but beside that, looking in good health. From what I've see this missing capacitor should not be a problem, for a POST at least.
Waiting for H12SSW next week, but from what I've red so far I'm not optimistic at all.
Yesterday I made the effort to download all vendors bioses who offer motherboards for Epyc 7002 and what seemed strange is that all contain 2 microcodes (some 4, I suppose for Naples, starting with 80) - 00830F10 and 00830F00 with revisions 08301025 and 08300027 respectively.
Today I started downloading bioses for TRX40 motherboads - Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, MSI - all contain exactly the same microcodes.
Which makes me wondering, does Epyc 7002 and Threadripper Gen3 have identical CPU IDs ...

Reactions: Sparky'sAdventure

ExecutableFix

Nov 25, 2019
Bought 2S1404E2VJUG5 few weeks back, have some broken capacitor matrix, but beside that, looking in good health. From what I've see this missing capacitor should not be a problem, for a POST at least.
Waiting for H12SSW next week, but from what I've red so far I'm not optimistic at all.
Yesterday I made the effort to download all vendors bioses who offer motherboards for Epyc 7002 and what seemed strange is that all contain 2 microcodes (some 4, I suppose for Naples, starting with 80) - 00830F10 and 00830F00 with revisions 08301025 and 08300027 respectively.
Today I started downloading bioses for TRX40 motherboads - Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, MSI - all contain exactly the same microcodes.
Which makes me wondering, does Epyc 7002 and Threadripper Gen3 have identical CPU IDs ...
I think the CPUID of the Epyc Rome CPUs is 00830F00, so microcodes for that ID will work.
What's your current motherboard?

some1else

Oct 8, 2016
I think the CPUID of the Epyc Rome CPUs is 00830F00, so microcodes for that ID will work.
What's your current motherboard?
As I said, I'm waiting for Supermicro H12SSW-in to arrive next week, but as far as I understand, you've tested this combo and it's a no go?

Welp, tried the H12 board and the post code is still FF. I don't know what's wrong anymore.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the CPU isn't cold, it is infact getting warm. There's physically nothing wrong with the CPU either (no damaged capacitors or gold contact plates)

ExecutableFix

Nov 25, 2019
As I said, I'm waiting for Supermicro H12SSW-in to arrive next week, but as far as I understand, you've tested this combo and it's a no go?
Well I've tested the ZS14 with it, not a 2S14 sample, but I didn't get it to boot on there

EDIT: What have you tried so far? Or will this be your first attempt?

some1else

Oct 8, 2016
So far waiting for motherboard, haven't tried anything. Should arrive next week.
Between ZS and 2S version, ZS is the better one as it is Qualification Sample (very near if not identical to retail version) and mine is ES1, which is the earlier version of ZS. Added to this, we have screens form Sisoft Sandra of working H12SSW and ZS. 2S is advertised to work with H12DST, but beside this board can't be bought standalone, I suppose it won't support the 2S either. There is a worse chip than mine, which starts with 1S and is ES0 (first release)
I estimate my chances from slim to none, but will know next week. Miracles happen, it's Christmas after all :)

ExecutableFix

Nov 25, 2019
So far waiting for motherboard, haven't tried anything. Should arrive next week.
Between ZS and 2S version, ZS is the better one as it is Qualification Sample (very near if not identical to retail version) and mine is ES1, which is the earlier version of ZS. Added to this, we have screens form Sisoft Sandra of working H12SSW and ZS. 2S is advertised to work with H12DST, but beside this board can't be bought standalone, I suppose it won't support the 2S either. There is a worse chip than mine, which starts with 1S and is ES0 (first release)
I estimate my chances from slim to none, but will know next week. Miracles happen, it's Christmas after all :)
Haha for sure! Would you mind sharing a photo of your chip?
Am I right in thinking you got it from here? (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sell-As-Is...E2VJUG5-1-4GHz-64C-Socket-SP3-7nm/23342013039)

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
Yes wrote exactly the same a few posts before. It was the same with naples.
ZS is not a QS CPU it's also a ES with the A0 stepping like Tr 3. QS CPUs have B0 retail stepping and the retail SKU as name.

QS 7452.pngQS.jpg

Last edited:

some1else

Oct 8, 2016
We are getting closer to philosophical conversation if the glass is half full or half empty with this. I said "very near if not identical", never said "almost identical". You said "pretty far". Well, I don't how close is far and how far is close, but what I can say for sure is that ZS is in front of 2S in evolution, which evolutionary makes it the better one :) And if it doesn't work on H12SSW, 2S won't either.

But what I can say for sure is that we are going further away from the topic.
What now we are waiting for is for Quantum to receive his Dell R6515 which eventually will support these CPUs?

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
I was blind but now i can see...

All the 32MB Bios versions for Rome contain 2 Bios images 1 for naples and 1 for Rome, the first padfile belongs to naples doing anything there won't help. (UEFITool fails to display 30% of the 2nd image btw).

Your ES has the CPUID 00830F00 MC in hex (27)003008, but the microcode is present in the second image of your rom.

But this information is pretty useless since i still think it's not a mc issue...

Some ebay sellers vaguely suggest that these ES chips are compatible with H12 boards.
I was absolutely right about this.

Edit:

Might be back later

Last edited: