12TB Easystore USB HDDs @ BestBuy $180

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
elements may not have the same HD that the EasyStores have. This has been a common complaint on /r/DataHoarder
I mean, I don't live in the US so the troubles I have to go through from getting anything from BestBuy is 10x more than having a direct channel from Amazon.
I know BB constantly ships out return drives that get swapped out by idiots and that would be a nightmare for me to send back after getting it forwarded overseas. I have no choice but to take a chance with Elements. Amazon even pays for return shipping.
The reports on /r/DH so far about the latest batch of 8TB Elements from Amazon seem to be promising - Helium white labels, something I can live with. Fingers crossed the ones they ship me a week later are the same batch.

Reactions: Samir and Churchill

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
There goes my weekend trying to find a need to buy these. I wish Amazon had these so I didn't have to go through all this problems acquiring them.
maybe you need to make a friend in the US who trusts you enough to buy them for you, test and burn them in, and then mail them to you. of course, there's a cost in time and electricity there, so would this still be a deal to you if you had to compensate such a friend for their time and effort? (I don't know how great of a deal this is compared to your local market prices for same or similar products)

Reactions: Samir

josh

Oct 21, 2013
maybe you need to make a friend in the US who trusts you enough to buy them for you, test and burn them in, and then mail them to you. of course, there's a cost in time and electricity there, so would this still be a deal to you if you had to compensate such a friend for their time and effort? (I don't know how great of a deal this is compared to your local market prices for same or similar products)
The friend in US would incur so much additional costs it wouldn't make sense anymore.
Local retailers only sell Seagate 12TBs (Ironwolf/Exos) and those are easily double/triple the price of this. My alternative would be to get second hand Ultrastar 12TB SAS drives with no warranty. Tough choice.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
The friend in US would incur so much additional costs it wouldn't make sense anymore.
Local retailers only sell Seagate 12TBs (Ironwolf/Exos) and those are easily double/triple the price of this. My alternative would be to get second hand Ultrastar 12TB SAS drives with no warranty. Tough choice.
well then, your alternative solution is a plane ticket to a US city with many Best Buy stores and other fun things to do (might as well make it a vacation).

josh

Oct 21, 2013
well then, your alternative solution is a plane ticket to a US city with many Best Buy stores and other fun things to do (might as well make it a vacation).
Tbh if I'd get 4+ units the difference would more or less cover the cost of the plane ticket. The question is, do I need these or I could just get more 8TB Elements from Amazon with close to zero risk (more electricity costs obviously). Or could just wait until Elements line starts carrying the 12TBs :eek:

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Strange. I saw it earlier but now it's back to 279.99. Maybe some intern was testing it out or something.
I know sometimes they'll only show the discounted price when logged in, so perhaps that's it?

josh

Oct 21, 2013
I know sometimes they'll only show the discounted price when logged in, so perhaps that's it?
You're right. It's showing as my BEST BUY early access. I was logged in on my desktop but not phone.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Does anyone know if Amazon restocks HDD deals on Cyber Monday? I missed the 12TB MyBook on Amazon UK earlier, hoping to catch a repeat or will have to settle for the 10TBs

josh

Oct 21, 2013
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07VXKF1L4...085&s=black-friday&smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&sr=1-3

12TB, 200EUR incl VAT/168EUR excl VAT, its same price/TB as 8TB my Book currently on there

limit 2 per customer, ends in 1,5h.
The DE site costs more to ship to me for some reason and the UK price was slightly lower as well. 165.99GBP. Also, the UK item was a MyBook which has 3 years warranty vs the 2 of the Elements, and I was happy to pay the slight premium only because of the extra year of warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir and nikalai

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Is there any reason to be concerned over the 5400/5900 RPM spindle speed of these supposed internal Reds versus say standard 7200 drives? I have a need for many of these and I would use some for a primary unRAID storage server(plex/media/bulk storage) and some as a backup target in ZFS running in striped/mirrored vdevs.