IBM M1015 controller cooler update

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

csp-guy

Jun 26, 2019
Hungary, Budapest
Hi Guys,

if you decided to use this cheap card flashed to IT mode for freenas, i suggest to cool the card with cooler.

Parts needed:

2 pcs of 30mm length m3 screw (metal suggested, i didnt found plastic screw)
6 pcs 3.2 mm diameter of plastic washer
6 pcs of m3 plastic bolt.
1 pcs of noctua nf-a4x20 pwm fan or nf-a4x10 flx fan (if you have limited free space)

1. cut the plastic holder pin of metal heatsink
2. put 1 bolt and 1 washer to the screw, and push the screw into the back side of tha printed circuit board.
3. put 1-1 washer to the heatsink side.
4. put 1-1 plastic bolt to the screw and pull gently.
5. put the cooler to the heatsink, and put the remaining 2 bolts and washers to the end of the screw, and pull them.

It is quiet, and stable solution.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: nikalai

vangoose

May 21, 2019
Canada
I have 9207-8i in my storage server running Solaris 11.4. I have a 9300-8i and Intel X540-T2 beside it.
System temp is 41, no need to mod it.

Chassis is supermicro sc743-sq.

nikalai

Oct 26, 2018
I also use them for coooling HP H220 in my both Supermicro 846 Chassis. Corsair Air Series SP120 has enough static pressure.I bough my brackets from Ebay.
hbc 2.jpg

I prefer to replace the thermal compound (I prefer Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut) after i buy an HBA. I dit it for DELL H200, DELL H310 and HP H220. Unfortunately i don't have a termometer to check the differecence...

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Fan mount sounds good, thanks for the idea. But in a small chassis, where the space is limitit it is not useable.
Yes/no, you would have to reduce the size of the fan though to about 80mm but you could likely fit two of them then (assuming its matx that has 3 slots for the fan bracket).
TBF that would probably defeat the purpose vs just attaching to the card any smaller than that.

Reactions: nikalai

nikalai

Oct 26, 2018
Some time ago i found this. I don't know the sellers. In the end i din't order because i have to many cards in my servers and it would not fit. Maybe those brackes are 3D printed!?