cheap Supermicro 836 chassis $135+S&H

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mb300sd

Aug 1, 2016
Anyone know if there's a SAS2 backplane with an expander I can fit in this chassis?

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Anyone know if there's a SAS2 backplane with an expander I can fit in this chassis?
Yeah, look for BPN-SAS2-836EL1 or for dual expander BPN-SAS2-836EL2. The backplane included in this should be a BPN-SAS-836TQ which is direct attached via individual SATA connectors and will support SAS2 or SAS3 even, but the cabling is messier.

Reactions: Samir

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
I have several of these, all with the TQ backplane. I swapped out for sas3 cables last week and it was no big deal. I bought SuperMicro cables and put 3 or 4 tie wraps on each cable. Just took about 20 minutes in an already populated server.

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
We have two big recyclers locally. The last 836s I bought, I paid $225, all trays, rails, TQ backplanes, no internals, and two 920SQ power supplies.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
I just need the backplane from this...wife would kill me if I bought another server lol

TechTrend

Apr 16, 2016
Florida
It's an ebay feature where sellers can basically submit an offer to people watching an item, sop as long as you have it marked as watched I *think* you should get the offer sent to you, but it's not public or reflected on the listing page.
Thanks for the clarification. It has been on my watch list for a week or so, but I didn't get the offer.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
yeah, what @Aestr said. I had the item in my watch list and got the offer. It seems to be personal. My offer expires tonight and I am guessing that some other person would get it next. The number of available units has not changed so it does not seem that many people jumped on the offer. I think you have a good chance of getting it.

mb300sd

Aug 1, 2016
I just bought one. Priced it out and it came out cheaper than upgrading the backplane and power supply in the Dell version I already have. Will probably take my current server out of it's ancient no-name case and put it in that one.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Reviving old thread. I got one of the sc040 one recently. Mine came out with x8dth motherboard and I cannot find an x8dth motherboard on official page and since it is lacking f suffix, had assumed there was no ipmi but I see the dedicated lan for ipmi, it is also available option on bios. Nov I am trying to get the ipmi working but it does not get proper ip from dhcp.

How can I learn if the motherboard have ipmi setup? Am I missing some configuration?

I don't mind running the cables, given that does direct attached backplane better than expander ones? I thought old backplanes would not support sas3 speed due to signal loss.

niekbergboer

Jun 21, 2016
Switzerland
Thanks for the hint! I just managed to snatch a 836 for EUR 145 . I'll throw out the X8 fossil that in in there, and I'll probably have to drop 50 quid on a decent SQ power supply. I'm a happy camper now :-D

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I think that would come with x7 motherboard.

I bought mine at $160 shipped so I felt it was a good deal but now I am planning to return it since motherboard IPMI didn't work. I think I am having problem setting up the ipmi. I don't want to spend another $150 for motherboard cpu combo. Is there a trick to get the IPMI working on these motherboards?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Reviving old thread. I got one of the sc040 one recently. Mine came out with x8dth motherboard and I cannot find an x8dth motherboard on official page and since it is lacking f suffix, had assumed there was no ipmi but I see the dedicated lan for ipmi, it is also available option on bios. Nov I am trying to get the ipmi working but it does not get proper ip from dhcp.

How can I learn if the motherboard have ipmi setup? Am I missing some configuration?

I don't mind running the cables, given that does direct attached backplane better than expander ones? I thought old backplanes would not support sas3 speed due to signal loss.
If it has the ipmi port then it has ipmi. You can configure it via the BIOS. Be s
ure to set the ip address to the subnet you're using and you'll see it. ipmiview is a good tool to have.

Reactions: Samir and Bert

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
How can I learn if the motherboard have ipmi setup?
you look for a BMC chip on the board. Usually they run pretty cool and do not have/require heatsinks - so they are easy to spot.

Once you confirmed that the BMC chip is present - just boot up any recent Linux distro and look for the IPMI init in the dmesg output.
If it got properly recognized (and driver installed) just use ipmitool to reset the config, enable DHCP or set whatever static IP you want.

Reactions: Samir and Bert

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Yes standard motherboard with standard pci-e slots should fit without any issues but cabling might be problematic. I don't know if extra power is required X9DR3 but you can check that by comparing against your old motherboard. Supermicro web page has lots of details. I would also check the front control plane header pin layout but they are most likely same.

Reactions: Filez