SOLVED: Huawei HSSD D5223 NVME drive I Can not format

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

R.Zoli

Sep 5, 2015
Hi!

I've got a little problem using Huawei HSSD-D5223 Nvme drive. I can see it under HDsentinel and under win10 diskmanagment but can not format, and can not make a partition on the drive. Could it be the problem that the drive has 520 byte sector? Or something else?

R.Zoli

Sep 5, 2015
I've made it!!!
After linux with nvme format, I can access the drive now from windows 10.

csp-guy

Jun 26, 2019
Hungary, Budapest
Hi Zoli,

i would suggest nvme format tool, too. Maybe in storage where this used before you, the drive format was different, that caused the problems.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
I was going to make a thread asking about these when I found this one. :D

Are there any specific caveats to using these as normal storage drives in a regular desktop using a U.2 to PCI-E converter like the one below?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-U-2-PCIe-Adapter-SFF-8639/dp/B072JK2XLC

I was looking at maybe getting a Micron 5100 Pro 4TB or something like that when I found a seller selling a couple of these drives. I'm out of PCI-E 3.0 ports (without affecting other functionality on the board) so I would have to run it at PCI-E 2.0 x4 speed, which would limit it quite a lot I imagine (cut the speed in half at least) but I would still expect it to perform better than a SATA drive. That assumes they haven't tuned the firmware in a way that is detrimental to my usage in some way.

I've made it!!!
After linux with nvme format, I can access the drive now from windows 10.
How is it performing now that you got it working? Have you run into any other issues? Also, is it showing up as a removable drive like someone else mentioned in another thread in this forum section?

R.Zoli

Sep 5, 2015
I was going to make a thread asking about these when I found this one. :D

Are there any specific caveats to using these as normal storage drives in a regular desktop using a U.2 to PCI-E converter like the one below?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-U-2-PCIe-Adapter-SFF-8639/dp/B072JK2XLC

I was looking at maybe getting a Micron 5100 Pro 4TB or something like that when I found a seller selling a couple of these drives. I'm out of PCI-E 3.0 ports (without affecting other functionality on the board) so I would have to run it at PCI-E 2.0 x4 speed, which would limit it quite a lot I imagine (cut the speed in half at least) but I would still expect it to perform better than a SATA drive. That assumes they haven't tuned the firmware in a way that is detrimental to my usage in some way.

How is it performing now that you got it working? Have you run into any other issues? Also, is it showing up as a removable drive like someone else mentioned in another thread in this forum section?

Hi!

Firstly, you can use it with a standard u.2 cable, when your board has an u.2 connector. This unit has only two pci-e 3.0 channel, so it's not an x4 drive just x2. Performance-wise is good in seqeuential read and write but in qd32 4k is very poor near 1mb/s. I din't now it's a firmware problem or anything else but you must to know this limitation. In real life, file copy and something else is not proble with 1-1.2Gb/sec but server class works I don't think this drive can correctly handle.

Power consumtion is average , I think under full load maybe 10-12 watt , and temperature without direkt colling in the 40-45 celsius range.

I haven't got any issues with the drive, only the poor random 4k performance...

Last edited:

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Hi!

Firstly, you can use it with a standard u.2 cable, when your board has an u.2 connector. This unit has only two pci-e 3.0 channel, so it's not an x4 drive just x2. Performance-wise is good in seqeuential read and write but in qd32 4k is very poor near 1mb/s. I din't now it's a firmware problem or anything else but you must to know this limitation. In real life, file copy and something else is not proble with 1-1.2Gb/sec but server class works I don't think this drive can correctly handle.

Power consumtion is average , I think under full load maybe 10-12 watt , and temperature without direkt colling in the 40-45 celsius range.

I haven't got any issues with the drive, only the poor random 4k performance...
Thanks for the detailed response! :) My board doesn't have a U.2 connector, hence the need for an adapter of some sort. I would really only use it as a storage drive, not for anything particularly performance sensitive. The reason I even considered it was because it cost roughly the same as the Micron 5100 Pro 4 TB drive at looked at initially, although that one was essentially new (less than 10 hours power on time and presumably not much data written).

alex_onthebeach

Dec 27, 2019
Hello guys,

I’ve created an account just to say a massive THANK YOU.

I was in the exact same situation with the exact same drive model and your indications helped me to solve the issue !

Have a wonderful end of year,
Alexandre

Reactions: anoother

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Sorry for the "necro" - but just a follow up, so others in same situation know exactly to do:
nvme format /dev/nvme[yourdevice] -b 512

the -b 512 is what makes it usable, mine came with 520 byte sectors and neither linux or windows liked that.

Reactions: Rand__

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Just picked up one of these for cheap (game server storage) with a 'driver issue' so was looking for clues ... this all sounds reassuring, thanks:)