Need a Mini ITX Board for home server, recommendations needed

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dave-M

Nov 11, 2019
Hello,

First post here and first NAS build. I built a NAS out of some parts I already had and also some stuff I've had to buy new, one item that hasn't worked well for one reason or another is the motherboard, I originally had a z390 Gigabyte board and then moved to a B360 Asus board, but both have issues that have brought me here.

Current hardware is:

3x 4TB Ironwolf (possibly expand to 4 or 5)
1x 4TB Barracuda for parity (maybe)
9207-8i HBA (Not sure if dead or just incompatible)
Rog Strix B360-I motherboard
2x8GB 2400mhz Corsair Value Select Non ECC
8400T Processor

I bought a new 9207-8i and it wouldn't work in either board, I'm not sure if it is DOA or just a mainstream motherboard incompatibility issue, so this also has steered me towards a dedicated server board with plenty of onboard SATA connections and then I don't need to use a HBA.

I'm not sure why, but here in the UK, there does not seem to be much of a choice of mini ITX server boards that I can see. A few places will let me special order the SuperMicro X11SCL-IF, which seems to tick most of the boxes, but then there's the Asrock Rack E3C246D2I which seems to also tick all the boxes, has loads of extra features that I will probably use, but doesn't seem to be available in the UK so would have to order from overseas.

Finally, the Asus P11C-I, this again, seem to tick all the boxes, but the official specs don't mention the 8400T, but supports i3 8th Gen. If I have to get a different processor and ECC memory, then so be it.

Are there others that are worth a look? Any help, much appreciated, thanks!

Last edited: