12TB Easystore USB HDDs @ BestBuy $180

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Philmatic

Sep 15, 2011
Also remember that retailmenot.com has 10% cashback for BestBuy.com today, which stacks on this.
Nope, the 10% cash back from RetailMeNot is only on Best Buy's "Top Deal Products" list. This is not on that list.

I bought 8.

cbarbie

Mar 10, 2011
US-VA
In for 4, but there were about 20 sitting on the "store pickup" shelf. Makes me think I need to acquire more.;)

Reactions: Samir

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
The WD 2.5” externals likely don’t have a SATA to USB bridge inside, so shucking it will only present a USB interface. I avoid these like the plague because there’s no easy way to run data recovery if something goes awry. Seagate 2.5” externals have a bridge, however the 4-5 TB models are SMR drives.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
The WD 2.5” externals likely don’t have a SATA to USB bridge inside, so shucking it will only present a USB interface. I avoid these like the plague because there’s no easy way to run data recovery if something goes awry. Seagate 2.5” externals have a bridge, however the 4-5 TB models are SMR drives.
I got some of the shucked shells from someone who shucked the 2TB version of these back in the day and these did have a sata-usb board in them, hence why I'm thinking the 5tb version might as well. 5TB drives were rare enough in their day--I don't think it warranted making usb board versions of them. I think they're basically trying to get rid of them by putting them into external cases and selling them off hence why I think they should be shuckable.

Last edited:

scurrier

Aug 4, 2018
Illinois, USA
Nice deal, I bought 4. Amex has a deal if you view your offers in your account to get 30 off 300. Makes the deal even better: $13.75 per TB plus tax.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
What do you guys use such large drives for? Daily backups? Can't fathom placing such a large drive in a RAID array. Seems like a guaranteed data loss waiting to happen.

Philmatic

Sep 15, 2011
What do you guys use such large drives for? Daily backups? Can't fathom placing such a large drive in a RAID array. Seems like a guaranteed data loss waiting to happen.
What’s RAID?

Most of us do some sort of software based parity, checksumming and snapshot based system like ZFS, UnRAID, Storage Spaces or even the lightweight disk pooling stuff like Drive Pool on Windows.

For me, it’s finally a chance to consolidate my 8U 32 bay 3TB drive system into a 2U 10 bay system.

My biggest problem will be finding a way to unload my 24 bay Norco expander and 32 3TB disks.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
What’s RAID?

Most of us do some sort of software based parity, checksumming and snapshot based system like ZFS, UnRAID, Storage Spaces or even the lightweight disk pooling stuff like Drive Pool on Windows.

For me, it’s finally a chance to consolidate my 8U 32 bay 3TB drive system into a 2U 10 bay system.

My biggest problem will be finding a way to unload my 24 bay Norco expander and 32 3TB disks.
Sorry when I say RAID I meant other parity systems as well for simplicity. I mean the chances of losing data due to multiple drive failures seem much higher the larger the drives are. Unless you're running them in mirror pairs but that still seems like a lot of faith to be placed in these shucked drives which were most certainly not built for 24/7 operation.

ServerSemi

Jan 12, 2017
Gotta love the ignorance of some people. "How dare you buy a drive I have no idea of what it is for" If they knew how to use the interwebs they could easily google what are these high tb drives for.