Supermicro Xeon D / FCBGA 1667 Heatsink information

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Spartacus, what size Noctau fan is that? And when you removed the stock heatsink did you have to heat it? If so, how?
Make sure it's warm and don't pull too hard. Two people in this thread (myself included) have damaged the board while pulling it off too hard (by hitting and dislodging the power inductors). Just run prime95 before shutting it off :)

General Pirata

Aug 17, 2019
Good afternoon
After reading this forum thread (and many others related to the same topic) I have compiled the options for my case.

My configuration is as follows:
Motherboard: Supermicro x10sdv-8c-tln4f
Microprocessor: Xeon D-1541 socket FCBGA 1667
Chassis: 1U SuperChassis 505-203B with 4 fans (model FAN-0100L4 40x28MM 4-PIN PWM Fan) on the back of the chassis.

The possible options that I have contemplated are the following:

OPTION A:
Model: Supermicro SNK-C0057A4L

Link: SNK-C0057A4L Supermicro Active CPU Heatsink with retention back plane assembled onboard

OPTION B:
Model: Cooljag BUF-A Socket PGA988

Link: Cooljag BUF-A Intel i7 / i5 / i3 Mobile Processor Active Heatsink - Socket PGA988 - FrozenCPU.com

OPTION C:
Model: BUF-B2

Link: BUF-B2Cooljag USA

OPTION D:
Model: Cooljag bbuf-a Active Cooler (Socket rbga 989, BGA1023, BGA1288 & bga1364)

Link: https://www.amazon.com/Cooljag-Active-BGA1023-BGA1288-BGA1364/dp/B014OIN2GM/?tag=servecom-20

OPTION E:
Model: Supermicro SNK-C0054A4L

Link: Supermicro SNK-C0054A4L CPU cooler, SNK-C0054A4L - EET Europarts ES

OPTION F:
Model: BUF-A4

Link: BUF-A4Cooljag USA

OPTION G:
Model: Dynatron i2 g pga988

Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...om-20&linkId=5a057d2f3a34f7695ddb681cc08cd6d9

I would like you to help me choose the best one for my case with your experience.

Thanks for everything.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
need more info to help. Whats prompting you tochantge from the current stock setup? Not cooling adequately, too loud, not enough flashing leds? Just want to change for the sake of something to do?What environment will this be used in, data center, home? How much of an issue is noise to you? Whats your budget? What sort of load are you expecting to subject the CPU to?

General Pirata

Aug 17, 2019
need more info to help. Whats prompting you tochantge from the current stock setup? Not cooling adequately, too loud, not enough flashing leds? Just want to change for the sake of something to do?What environment will this be used in, data center, home? How much of an issue is noise to you? Whats your budget? What sort of load are you expecting to subject the CPU to?
You are right @sth, I should have given more information about my change regarding the current configuration.

In the beginning, the equipment was in a mini tower and the stock cooling was not very good (there were quite high peaks with very high temperatures). The equipment is for server use always on (24/7), for virtualization and for video transcoding (the equipment will be at high times under high loads).

The budget is no problem as long as it suits the chassis that I have right now since it is perfect for my rack.

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
Wow .. must be the week for this same setup.
Are the four jet engine fans not adequate?

Your chassis is 1u so (if you stick with it) best bet for active is: SNK-C0057A4L.
(Some of those items you listed are too tall - including SNK-C0054A4L).
Also, stick with the PWM fans ..some you listed looked to be 3 wire.

If passive, you might be a candidate for the Supermicro shroud with those high RPM fans.

Slavearm

Apr 15, 2017
Or watercooling! I found a functional set of components I can use. I have them sitting here, just don't want to tear down my server at the moment, and the other one going up north I just finished making the brackets to adapt the Noctua NH-L12S for...

Slavearm

Apr 15, 2017
You should know, I offset it slightly to the side to accommodate full size pci-e cards. Of you have tall ram you may have to slightly adjust the heat pipes with a gentle bend to get an extra mm or so.

Slavearm

Apr 15, 2017
I used thermal grizzly Kryonaut, but the NH-L12S comes with NT1 which is a perfectly good thermal paste. By the way, with this mount/cooler, the temp never breaks 49c even under heavy load.

Rolando

Aug 8, 2019
Last edited:

Slavearm

Apr 15, 2017
that looks great, I found the link to thingiverse from another post and based on the info in the description I understand that the screws are installed from the back of the motherboard, any chance you could share the pics of how that should hold from the back?

Thanks for the amazing job!
I unfortunately dod not take photos of the back. Essentially, it just goes right through the bracket on the back of the motherboard so it has good support and no crazy drilling or anything.

Rolando

Aug 8, 2019

I just got a mini-itx MB from Supermicro based on the Epyc 3251 CPU (M11SDV-8C-LN4F) and found two (expected) issues:
- the Noctua mounting system is not compatible with the socket size (expected), I even had to get rid of the screws mechanism as is too wide for the MB
- Your 3D model looks like the best path to find a solution. However, this has different dimensions than X11SDV MB.

Now, I have zero experience with 3D design, printing, I just downloaded OpenSCAD and will try to figure out how to modify your design to make it fit the M11SDV MB.

Any advice on how to validate the dimensions on the MB like bracket like height with the MB and any other tip would be more than appreciated!

I'm including some pictures of the placement tests I'm doing.

Thanks!

Attachments

Slavearm

Apr 15, 2017
I just got a mini-itx MB from Supermicro based on the Epyc 3251 CPU (M11SDV-8C-LN4F) and found two (expected) issues:
- the Noctua mounting system is not compatible with the socket size (expected), I even had to get rid of the screws mechanism as is too wide for the MB
- Your 3D model looks like the best path to find a solution. However, this has different dimensions than X11SDV MB.

Now, I have zero experience with 3D design, printing, I just downloaded OpenSCAD and will try to figure out how to modify your design to make it fit the M11SDV MB.

Any advice on how to validate the dimensions on the MB like bracket like height with the MB and any other tip would be more than appreciated!

Thanks!
I would use Fusion 360 if you can. What is the measurement between holes? Do you have a diagram you could drop here or link to? This might be super quick work so I can turn it around if you can do the legwork on the dimensions. If you can't find the actual dimensions, please use a mm ruler place it parallel to the holes and take a top down photo. Honestly, it looks like it is pretty close the the same dimensions.

Take care,

Shane

Rolando

Aug 8, 2019
I would use Fusion 360 if you can. What is the measurement between holes? Do you have a diagram you could drop here or link to? This might be super quick work so I can turn it around if you can do the legwork on the dimensions. If you can't find the actual dimensions, please use a mm ruler place it parallel to the holes and take a top down photo. Honestly, it looks like it is pretty close the the same dimensions.

Take care,

Shane
Thank you very much for the answer, I did my best drawing this with as much detail I could and with the measurements:

upload_2019-12-23_23-51-30.png

The position of the whole CPU cooler is not in the middle as usual, is more towards the top because otherwise the CPU cooler will block the PCIe slot which I need.

So far I think the main change is the length of the brackets and the distance between the slot used to hold the CPU cooler and the top holes.

I already did some tests with the Noctua NH-C14S which is the CPU Cooler I'm going to use here, and the temps on idle are about 22ºC!!

Thanks again for the help and have a happy holiday!.

Rolando.

Alexy

ma1
Nov 27, 2018
I already did some tests with the Noctua NH-C14S which is the CPU Cooler I'm going to use here, and the temps on idle are about 22ºC!!
That's really cool.... I have permanent 47-49Grad with my BUF-E and cooler on it - as a working temperature. But my server is located in a small wardrobe where a little bit warmer than in the apartments... probably because of the server :)

I simple has no space for Noctua NH-C14S because I use Supermicro SuperChassis Cse-721tq-250b Mini-tower case with upgraded FAN system: Noctua slim FAN on HDDs block, Noctua FAN as a Chassis FAN and Noctua for CPU :)
Because it's located at wardrobe - it's quite silent :)