About M/B CMOS battery

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

java

Jan 28, 2013
Europe
I have a server with M/B : X10DRC-LN4+
Recently I've observed the following error :

vbat_error.png

According to Supermicro FAQ FAQ Entry | Online Support | Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc. the battery must be replaced. The battery type is : CR2032

The question is : Which battery brand to choose ? Which battery is of a better quality ?

REMARK : This server is relatively new, only 4 years in service. I have other servers which work for more than 8 years and I've never observed CMOS battery related issues.

blinkenlights

May 24, 2019
I have a server with M/B : X10DRC-LN4+
The question is : Which battery brand to choose ? Which battery is of a better quality ?

REMARK : This server is relatively new, only 4 years in service. I have other servers which work for more than 8 years and I've never observed CMOS battery related issues.
That is odd. Except for a manufacturing fault like an internal short, I'm not sure what would drain it so quickly.

As far as battery brand, it's difficult to go wrong with the big names - Panasonic, Sony, KTS. Make sure you buy from a reputable seller and not some random discount shop on Alibaba.

Another option: I've been using Panasonic BR2032 in CR2032 applications (key fobs, motherboards) for some time - different chemistry with a wider temperature range and lower self-discharge rate. As always, do so "at your own risk"...

Reactions: java

William

May 7, 2015
Funny I was just asked about this. Yup strange problems on older motherboards, even some new ones that have bad batteries.
Swap in a new battery and generally that fixes issues.