SuperMicro EPYC Board won't POST if IPMI is connected?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Looking at the H11 motherboard manual, have you tried physically disabling the physical VGA port on the motherboard with a jumper?
I'd be curious to see what disabling JPG1 does (Pins 1-2 VGA Enabled; Pins 2-3 VGA Disabled).
Not sure if this is the same thing mentioned earlier in this thread, but according to the manual, there is also a "VGA Priority" setting in the bios under the "PCIe/PCI/PnP" configuration options.

"VGA Priority - Use this setting to select between onboard or offboard VGA support. The options are Onboard and Offboard "
Pretty during disabling that jumper would prevent the use of iKVM. And yes, I have toggled the VGA Priority back and forth. As it stands, with VGA Priority set to onb0ard and my add-on GPU installed, the server will not POST. If the I set the VGA Priority to offboard, the server boots fine but iKVM is unavailable.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
As screwy as this seems, try disabling that jumper and see how the different VGA Priority settings behave. Worth a shot at this point.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
As screwy as this seems, try disabling that jumper and see how the different VGA Priority settings behave. Worth a shot at this point.
I'll see when I can find some down time to test it. It's being pretty heavily used at the moment.

William

May 7, 2015
Sorry if you posted this and I missed it.

Just a question... what GPU are you trying to use ?

I do remember having issues with some types, can you try running with an older card and see if that does the trick ? or try an AMD card.
I think its odd that SM sent over a GPU list and at he end it says AMD Radeon which could be many different types like gamer cards or Pro Workstation AMD cards.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Sorry if you posted this and I missed it.

Just a question... what GPU are you trying to use ?

I do remember having issues with some types, can you try running with an older card and see if that does the trick ? or try an AMD card.
I think its odd that SM sent over a GPU list and at he end it says AMD Radeon which could be many different types like gamer cards or Pro Workstation AMD cards.
It's a GTX 1660. I don't have any other GPUs laying around to test with unfortunately.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Hoping to pick one of these board up in the next week or two.
@Patrick I’m sure there are a number of us who would be interested in seeing a full work up & review of a Supermicro H11 ATX board with a new Rome 7302P/7402P cpu. In particular, how such a board performs in a workstation role with a GPU and what the performance difference is between 4 and 8 ram slots being populated.

diogin

Mar 28, 2018
Beijing, China
Not very sure what problem you had faced.

As far as I know, if you would like to use iKVM over IPMI you should have the JPG VGA jumper enabled (pin 1 and 2) and set the VGA priority to onboard first.
Moreover, settings relating to serial ports, coms, serial over lan, redirecting to coms should also be enabled.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Not very sure what problem you had faced.

As far as I know, if you would like to use iKVM over IPMI you should have the JPG VGA jumper enabled (pin 1 and 2) and set the VGA priority to onboard first.
Moreover, settings relating to serial ports, coms, serial over lan, redirecting to coms should also be enabled.
I did all that except if I set VGA to onboard the board would not POST. The server would never boot to the OS with my add on GPU installed unless I set the VGA priority to offboardm

diogin

Mar 28, 2018
Beijing, China
If you chose to use VGA chip of BMC instead of graphic card to boot, and you were sitting in front of your machine, did you connect your video cable to VGA port? Connecting video cable to ports of the add on graphic card would see nothing on the display.

If you were using iKVM and would like to see the screen remotely, then set the settings I mentioned above should get a working POST.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
If you chose to use VGA chip of BMC instead of graphic card to boot, and you were sitting in front of your machine, did you connect your video cable to VGA port? Connecting video cable to ports of the add on graphic card would see nothing on the display.

If you were using iKVM and would like to see the screen remotely, then set the settings I mentioned above should get a working POST.
Nothing was ever connected to the graphics card as its being used for hw transcoding. But under no circumstance would the server boot if VGA was set to onboard in the BIOS. In fact once I set VGA to onboard I could never even get into the BIOS again until I physically removed the graphics card first.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Just want to report that SuperMicro support has provided me with a beta version of the BIOS to test with my setup. They claim their previous BIOS version was only tested with enterprise GPUs and not consumer GPUs. The tech made no promise this beta will fix my issue but I'm going to give it a shot this weekend and see what happens.

Reactions: TXAG26

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
So I just rolled the dice and tried updating my BIOS to this new beta version over ipmi. To my great surprise this beta version fixed the issue. I was able to keep the primary VGA adapter to onboard which allowed me to use ipmi throughout the boot and start-up process with my add-on GPU installed.

Reactions: herby and TXAG26

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
So I just rolled the dice and tried updating my BIOS to this new beta version over ipmi. To my great surprise this beta version fixed the issue. I was able to keep the primary VGA adapter to onboard which allowed me to use ipmi throughout the boot and start-up process with my add-on GPU installed.
Hey that’s great news! Make sure you report that back to SM so that they can incorporate that fix into the next bios version!

shawn111

Nov 3, 2019
Would you mind uploading the beta bios somewhere? I have the same board and am running into the exact same issue when attempting to connect 2 RTX 2080Tis.

The offboard vga selection workaround works with one of them installed, but not both.